Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,128 times

Advertisements

This year we completed the Selkirk Loop.

Part of the "road" is a ferry across Kootenay Lake, BC.

Seems as you go north the lakes just keep getting bigger, this is Kootenay Lake off the ferry from Balfour to Kootenay Bay.

Once on the other side Route 3A winds along the lake for a very nice drive, especially in these cars!

You enter the USA at Porthill and then continue down through Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and Priest River.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Front newspaper news this week is a single worker put the power out in Weiser too. Just happened to be a Squirrel. He got the hot seat for his crimes and they showed a picture of him FRIED on the transformer. EEEWWWWEEEEE Let it be known Idaho is tough on criminals.

WE still have a garden this morning. That is good I need to pick the tomatoes.

911 Remembered.

On a different note, thanks for the flag...

Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
This year we completed the Selkirk Loop.

Part of the "road" is a ferry across Kootenay Lake, BC.

Seems as you go north the lakes just keep getting bigger, this is Kootenay Lake off the ferry from Balfour to Kootenay Bay.

Once on the other side Route 3A winds along the lake for a very nice drive, especially in these cars!

You enter the USA at Porthill and then continue down through Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and Priest River.
Fabulous pics, E! How long did the trip take you? We want to do that some time. Also, pick up a book about David Thompson and check out his travel route around 1810--you probably went along most of the route between his Kootenay post and the "Kullyspell" post. Imagine that without roads!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,128 times
It took a lot longer with a group since we waited to caravan together. The official loop is 280 miles. We actually caught it in Usk, WA. There is a good place for breakfast called Crossroads Cafe at the 20 and 211. Then you go up through Ione, Metaline Falls, border and on to Nelson BC. We stayed there for a car show. Probably a little over 2hrs driving time from Usk to Nelson. The border crossing can be very variable in time. It took a while for the first car to get through but then they opened a second lane so it went quicker.
From Nelson, it is about 20 minutes to get to the ferry terminal. You have to get in line so you need to get there early. There is an awesome bakery so the wait is no big deal. We caught the 9:50AM one. They load the ferry pretty quick and then it is half hour or so across the lake. Very pleasant day to cross it as the lake was very calm. From Kootenay Bay to Porthill is about 1 1/2 hrs driving. Then the harder border crossing depending on if you get picked for a search. They let you put the stuff back in after they rifle through it. That took a while since I had things in exact positions to get it all in and the top down. If you go to Priest River from here it is another 1 1/2 hours.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Sounds like a great trip for next year, maybe! I'll have to look at a map--maybe we can combine it with a trip to the Kokanee brewery!

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning--it was raining in SoCal! The hills were all misty, and it looked like a nice, rainy NID day. We're so tired of the summer down here, and we've got another month of heat and fire danger before it cools off. I used to like the warm fall days down here. Now I'm looking forward to sweater-and-poofy-jacket-weather!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
My front porch with fall goodies from the garden:
Pumpkins (I already gave away a bunch of them), monster hubbard squash and the boxes in the background are filled with freshly dug potatoes. I need a root cellar! The wood is moving on, we had to take down a pine that was leaning badly.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM

291 posts, read 669,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
My front porch with fall goodies from the garden:
Pumpkins (I already gave away a bunch of them), monster hubbard squash and the boxes in the background are filled with freshly dug potatoes. I need a root cellar! The wood is moving on, we had to take down a pine that was leaning badly.
I wish that was my porch. That is a good looking porch Misty

Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Oh what a great collection of pumpkins! So they didn't all die in the first frost. That's great! And you guys have been having an Indian summer, I guess--tourists gone, beautiful weather, it must be heaven...

We had a lot of help from good friends, and took down a number of dead trees and dead branches on our property. And that improved the view enormously! But I was amazed when I compared pics of when we bought our place with what it looked like when we arrived this summer--trees that were 2 ft tall in 2008 are 8 ft tall now! Must be something in the water...

Here are some future views from our future porch! We've got several nice larches--I guess it'll be a while before I get to see them turn yellow. Not this year!
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-view-cabinets.jpg   The North Idaho Front Porch-view-porch1.jpg  

Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh, you have to see this video! Real estate agent Eric Skinner posts videos of flights around Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille, and here he flies all the way from the lake along the CF River to Montana! I think I saw our property...

Clark Fork River Flight, Clark Fork Idaho - YouTube

He has beautiful flights all over the area. I've only watched a few of them--now I know what I'm going to watch this weekend!

Here he is, lfying the other way toward Lake Pend Oreille:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpdsv28z7Is

Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Ridin' the Bunco (kinda lame RR) - ADVrider

Here's a thread about our dirt bike/quad ride along the south side of Lake Pend Orielle yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho