Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

I thought you guys wanted immigrants to learn English? If you don't want it be their second language, what are you suggesting? That it be their third language, after being required to learn some other language in between?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Im not following the logic of complaining about immigrants not speaking english and..
Then complain about classes teaching English.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Did Italians speak English when the stepped off the boat? Did Greeks or the French when they came from Quebec to work in the mills of New England? Did the Germans who moved to Chicago or Milwaukee? Were captured African slaves taught English on the boat ride over as a way of killing time?
[/quote]

Did this Country cater to immigrants in the past like they do now??
NO!If i speak spanish only i can literally get everything in spanish.
I could basically get by knowing not one word of english.
TV,Radio,Government forms,DL test,Customer service,etc

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Did Italians speak English when the stepped off the boat? Did Greeks or the French when they came from Quebec to work in the mills of New England? Did the Germans who moved to Chicago or Milwaukee? Were captured African slaves taught English on the boat ride over as a way of killing time?
TV,Radio,Government forms,DL test,Customer service,etc[/quote]

So that's their fault. Companies and the government cater to them? And if they didn't? What would happen? Who care's if they speak two languages? Everytime I've encountered a Hispanic, they have always been able to communicate with me. Please tell me what the OFFICIAL language of the United States is? What is our de jure language?

Did this nation cater to the immigrants of the 19th century? Hell no, they didn't. They were vilified by the WASP establishment. Italians, Irish, French, Germans, Greeks [southern europeans, Catholics, non-English speakers] they were vilified and extored by the powers that be.

Guess what is done today? The exact same thing. Except today its to Hispanics, who came here for the exact same reasons your's and mine ancestors did.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Actually... yeah they did. Have you never actually been to a historic Little Italy or China town? What language (for example) is all the signage in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76
When my Sicilian great grandfather died after 40 years in Little Italy in 1963, he had learned a couple of other Italian dialects... but essentially no English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76
TV,Radio,Government forms,DL test,Customer service,etc
So it is. So it has always been.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Good idea since most here are on the side of the criminals .
Now I know how the Italians felt when they came here. They called them Without Papers. Which became the N word, S Word, etc to Italian Americans back then.

Ignorant comments like that should never be accepted in our country. Most of the Illegal Aliens are not criminals. They just want a better life, just like your forefather did for you.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
I notice now we the tax payers are setting up classes for immigrants to use english as a second language .

What the hell is wrong with just english...
Ehm - the English (notice the upper-case "E", "English" being a proper noun) taught in ESL classes is "just English". But as most immigrants arrive already speaking a language, English is by necessity their second language.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I thought you guys wanted immigrants to learn English? If you don't want it be their second language, what are you suggesting? That it be their third language, after being required to learn some other language in between?
A Frontal Lobotomy, to remove knowledge of the first language?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
PRESS ONE TO SPEAK ENGLISH !

I notice now we the tax payers are setting up classes for immigrants to use english as a second language .

What the hell is wrong with just english and unless your home shut the hell up .

Aanyone else tied of the nerve these foreigners have when they come here with all their needs and want us to change for them ?
I heard a guy say this once in Japan, on the base at Yokota.

"Why don't these damn Japs learn English? If you work on an American base, you should know English!" and I'm thinking, "Why don't you lean Japanese....cuz it is hard, that's why. It's hard to learn English, too."

You shuold've seen him. He wanted everything to fit his neat little world view. I'm sure in his mind, this made sense. In reality, it's ludicrous.

People laugh at the USA because we use lbs and inches, BTW. Here's some food for thought. Caterpillar manufactures things used all over the world. They use microns to determine manufacturing tolerances.

Anyone here know what a micron is?

Micrometre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it's metric. 'Cuz inches don't WORK that small.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
PRESS ONE TO SPEAK ENGLISH !

What the hell is wrong with just english and unless your home shut the hell up .

Aanyone else tied of the nerve these foreigners have when they come here with all their needs and want us to change for them ?
Maybe you can tune in your radio to a Spanish language broadcast and call them to play some Spanish love songs? There are a lot of good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration