Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How are illegal immigrants taking advantage of this country in a way that you or any other citizen does not? This country is great because people take advantage of the opportunities that they are afforded in this country relative to most other places.

I do not believe that any person is "illegal." The anti-immigrant groups seem to believe that they speak for this country. They do not.

I have extensive Seminole blood and the rest of my family has been in this country since 1767. I have no problems with people getting to this country through whatever means necessary. As long as the people who come here are hardworking and law abiding (our ridiculous immigration laws do not count in my book), people should be able to come on over. Our immigration laws are rooted in oppression. It was okay for hundreds of thousands of Europeans to come over on boats, bring all sorts of diseases over, form street gangs in the big cities, steal land from people who were already here, and then put them on reservations located far away from anything, but it's not acceptable for people to come from other countries and attain the American dream? Ridiculous.

As an African-American, I would think that you would sympathize with the plight of illegal immigrants. Someone else was once in charge of denying African-Americans a piece of the American pie. Who are you to do the same to other folks?

Yep. I will keep throwing it around because racist, anti-immigrants think they're fooling people into why they're against illegal immigrants.

The overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are NOT criminals. When an immigrant comes here to pick citrus for $6/hour to ensure a better life for their children, I do not consider that illegal behavior. When an immigrant works 18 hours a day to send money back to Mexico to ensure that their children have shoes and food, I do not consider that illegal behavior.

A good number of illegals are probably more honest and better people than many of the citizens of this country.

Just accept that this country is going to turn browner and that English will not be the dominant language everywhere.
You paint such a lovely picture for Illegal Aliens. They used to come as migrant workers then would leave each year. Now they come for the social services alone. That's called theft and using your children as a way to get those social services is about as immorally bankrupt as you can get. Quit trying to pretend they, or even most, are such good people. Whether they cheat on an overstay, sneak across or get smuggled we cannot trust them. They have proved our laws mean nothing to them and not just our immigration laws either. Identity theft, driving with no insurance or license. Using our ERs as a primary doctor.

Sure they are desperate and will do whatever they think they need to do to "better their lives." This is why we have to be just as "desperate" to stop them from doing it. The real picture just isn't that pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,734 times
Quote:
How are illegal immigrants taking advantage of this country in a way that you or any other citizen does not? This country is great because people take advantage of the opportunities that they are afforded in this country relative to most other places.

I do not believe that any person is "illegal." The anti-immigrant groups seem to believe that they speak for this country. They do not.

I have extensive Seminole blood and the rest of my family has been in this country since 1767. I have no problems with people getting to this country through whatever means necessary. As long as the people who come here are hardworking and law abiding (our ridiculous immigration laws do not count in my book), people should be able to come on over. Our immigration laws are rooted in oppression. It was okay for hundreds of thousands of Europeans to come over on boats, bring all sorts of diseases over, form street gangs in the big cities, steal land from people who were already here, and then put them on reservations located far away from anything, but it's not acceptable for people to come from other countries and attain the American dream? Ridiculous.

Yep. I will keep throwing it around because racist, anti-immigrants think they're fooling people into why they're against illegal immigrants.

The overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are NOT criminals. When an immigrant comes here to pick citrus for $6/hour to ensure a better life for their children, I do not consider that illegal behavior. When an immigrant works 18 hours a day to send money back to Mexico to ensure that their children have shoes and food, I do not consider that illegal behavior.

A good number of illegals are probably more honest and better people than many of the citizens of this country.

Just accept that this country is going to turn browner and that English will not be the dominant language everywhere.
Miamiman people just do not want to accept change and they have to blame someone for the economy.
The demographics in this country are changing, Hispanics will soon be the largest minority, and there are more and more bi-racial people too...

Really there is no way the government is going to deport millions of illegals that are here so they just need to make the best of a tough situation.
People on this thread can go on and on about deporting everyone but it's never going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
1. You are right, there are already people here who are taking advantage of assistance in the United States. The problem though is that they are LEGALLY here. Why would we be OK with millions of people coming into the country illegally to do the same thing? Isn't that retarded? Just allowing people to add to the problem?
2. I know many people who are from Mexico that are very kind as well, that doesn't take away from the fact that they are taking advantage of US food or social welfare assistance or just the fact that they are here secretely undocumented. That is nice and all that they were there for you and helped you out, that doesn't make them legal.
3. A lot of undocumented people are already paying taxes, so making them legal won't matter. Also, making them "legal" will provide them with other opportunities and access to things in the US and their states that they were not eligible for before their amnesty, which only adds to the taxing of the systems in which they were already causing.
4. Illegal immigrants aren't just washing dishes and doing landscaping work. Where have you been? This is an old myth. I have worked side-by-side with undocumented people in restaurants during my high school years and college and there are other places they are working. Such as factories, hotels, car repair shops, cleaning services, working in places owned by undocumented workers, construction work. I'm not trying to insult you on this, but you are ignorant to think that they are not "stealing" jobs from legal residents. You are very ignorant for that, sorry.
Yes, I know, anyone that disagrees with your narrow mindedness is "ignorant".... So why aren't you mad at the people from other countries that take the really good jobs like doctors, chemists, etc? Oh I know, it's because they are legal so it doesn't matter if they take American jobs, that's all good right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Most illegal immigrants own their own house? Really? LOL And where did you get this information from? Also, that's nice and dandy that YOU don't have a problem helping them, seriously, that's your choice, but you have to accept and understand that you are not the representative of every legal resident here and those who have issues with illegal immigration will voice their views and attempt to have changes made. "Illegal aliens" aren't being made the scapegoat of anything. People were fighting against illegal immigration LONG before the so-called recession. Also, wouldn't it be fair for people not to understand why doing a time of such unemployment and economical depression that the federal government is not supporting the deportation of illegal immigrants and a crack down?
I believe I stated "Most illegals are hard-working people and even own their own houses. I didn't simply say "most own their own houses" stop taking my own words out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The number of U.S.-born vs. foreign-born children is irrelevant. They remain the children of illegal aliens. In other words, people who have no legal right to be here. They ARE a burden, whether you choose to accept this reality or not.

Will you, or will you not, answer my question? Why should we assume this astronomical burden for the children of illegal aliens?
Because if those kids were born here, they are LEGALLY American citizens, regardless of the fact that their parents are not legal Do you want to change the constitution?
I cannot believe the contempt some of you people have towards children! Would you rather they did not go to school and ran the streets committing crimes? Then would you be happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For illegals "work" can mean day labor jobs where work is very sporadic and income can be $4000 a year with food stamps, WIC, government housing, free medical care filling the gap and paying taxes means the occassional sales tax when buying non-food items.
That is an assumption. How do you know most illegals do not hold down full time jobs?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You could look it up, but here is the question and result from CNN/Opinion Research Corp.

"Creating a program that would allow illegal immigrants already living in the United States for a number of years to stay here and apply to legally remain in this country permanently if they had a job and paid back taxes"

Favor 81% oppose 19%
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../27/rel10f.pdf

There's the poll in it's entirety.

It also states that a WHOPPING 1018 people were polled.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
70% in Massachusetts Favor Ban on Public Benefits For Illegal Immigrants - Rasmussen Reports™

67% Say Mexico Does Not Want To Stop Illegal Immigration - Rasmussen Reports™

67% Say Military Should Be Used On Border To Stop Illegal Immigration - Rasmussen Reports™

58% Say No to Citizenship for Children of Illegal Immigrants - Rasmussen Reports™

70% Support Crackdown On Those Who Hire Illegal Immigrants - Rasmussen Reports™

71% in Pennsylvania Favor Troops on Border To Stop Illegal Immigration - Rasmussen Reports™

61% in California Support Troops on Border To Stop Illegal Immigration - Rasmussen Reports™

64% in Arizona Say Children of Illegal Immigrants Should Not Automatically Become U.S. Citizens - Rasmussen Reports™

56% Oppose Justice Department Challenge of Arizona Immigration Law - Rasmussen Reports™

Arizona Voters Still Support Immigration Law, Favor Brewer

I could go on all day long. America wants illegal immigration GONE. Go Home. We do not want you here for a million reasons. Stop trying to muddy the waters, just getout. Leave America and stay away. We'll bring in those worthy of our Nation, we're tired of taking care of your asses.

Among those who favor a welcoming immigration policy, 70% see gaining control of the border as the top priority. Among those who oppose a welcoming immigration policy, 67% see border control as the top priority. This strongly suggests that voters see little connection between the debate over legal immigration and the desire to stop illegal immigration.
Additionally, 60% of all voters favor a law that authorizes local police to stop and verify the immigration statusof anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. Such a law was recently passed in Arizona and is supported by 70% of voters statewide.
Once again, there is little difference in perspective between those who favor a welcoming immigration policy overall and those who oppose such a policy.
The differing priorities between the public and the Political Class always seem to arise when Congress considers immigration reform. Eighty-one percent (81%) of Mainstream American voters see controlling the border as the top priority. Seventy percent (70%) of the Political Class says that legalizing the status of undocumented workers is most important (see more on the Mainstream/Political Classdivide). That hasn’t changes since the 2006 immigration legislation collapsed when the U.S. Senate surrendered to public opinion. During that debate, a New York Times/CBS poll found that 69% believed illegal immigrants should be prosecuted and deported.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
That's a not accurate. 100% of Illegals are lawbreaking criminals who have no love for our great country and have no aspirations to asimilate into our culture. They are foreign invaders trying to take what is not theirs.

You should be outraged by their success riding the coattails of the black civil right movement and claims they are being prejudiced because of their "race".

As for our country turning "brown" and speaking all spanish. That's called treason. I will relent, however, that they can continue to service my kids at fast-food restuarants.
How do they have no love for our country? They're hopping over the border, taking advantage in our economy, and try to integrate themselves into our schools. People who hate this country probably wouldn't risk their lives trying to get here only to deal with people such as you who make sweeping assumptions about all of them.

Your family were considered foreign invaders at one time. Get over it. You don't own this country.

How is this country turning brown and speaking Spanish considered treason? This country is changing. You had better get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You paint such a lovely picture for Illegal Aliens. They used to come as migrant workers then would leave each year. Now they come for the social services alone. That's called theft and using your children as a way to get those social services is about as immorally bankrupt as you can get. Quit trying to pretend they, or even most, are such good people. Whether they cheat on an overstay, sneak across or get smuggled we cannot trust them. They have proved our laws mean nothing to them and not just our immigration laws either. Identity theft, driving with no insurance or license. Using our ERs as a primary doctor.

Sure they are desperate and will do whatever they think they need to do to "better their lives." This is why we have to be just as "desperate" to stop them from doing it. The real picture just isn't that pretty.
Oh yes. That's why a considerable number of illegal immigrants actually pay state and federal taxes every year. That's why many men are desperate for work. Because they want to take advantage our of social services. A good number of illegals are single men who come here to earn money for their families back in Mexico or wherever. They do not rely on public assistance or anything else. They live on next to nothing and save, save, save, save.

Seeing as the majority of illegals are not violent offenders, do not steal, and are hardworking shows me that they are good people.

They are here to stay, so you had better get used to it too.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
How do they have no love for our country? They're hopping over the border, taking advantage in our economy, and try to integrate themselves into our schools. People who hate this country probably wouldn't risk their lives trying to get here only to deal with people such as you who make sweeping assumptions about all of them.

Your family were considered foreign invaders at one time. Get over it. You don't own this country.

How is this country turning brown and speaking Spanish considered treason? This country is changing. You had better get used to it.

Oh yes. That's why a considerable number of illegal immigrants actually pay state and federal taxes every year. That's why many men are desperate for work. Because they want to take advantage our of social services. A good number of illegals are single men who come here to earn money for their families back in Mexico or wherever. They do not rely on public assistance or anything else. They live on next to nothing and save, save, save, save.

Seeing as the majority of illegals are not violent offenders, do not steal, and are hardworking shows me that they are good people.

I don't care if they speak Spanish, or if they are Hispanic. The part that cracks me up is that if you are here legally they are sucking off your taxes too.

An Illegal man here working has trespassed, committed identity theft, fraud and is bilking the Govt out of tax dollars. And you are ok with that?
A family here illegally has the man usually working and the wife staying home managing the stolen Govt services. But you are ok with that? I'm betting you don't pay taxes yourself if you don't care about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:

As an African-American, I would think that you would sympathize with the plight of illegal immigrants. Someone else was once in charge of denying African-Americans a piece of the American pie. Who are you to do the same to other folks?

So you think that illegal aliens should have the same rights as citizens? Surely you jest.

I think the law disagrees with you that no one can be illegally in our country. There are no anti-"immigrant" groups in this country either. Stop the lies.

So our immigration laws are ridiculous? Just us, or every other nation that has immigration laws? How do you feel about the entire world's poor moving here? That is what would happen if we had no immigration laws. Do you actually think in your clouded and hazed thoughts that we have enough space, jobs, natural resources and social infrastructures to support the entire world? Yeah, that makes sense. Let's vacate the entire planet and everyone move here instead. (insert rolling eyes here).

When the first immigrants came here we were a wide open frontier with plenty of everything, that isn't so today. How are our immigration policies rooted in oppression? We have the most generous immigration quotas on the face of the earth. Good Lord!

I find it hard to sympathize with lawbreakers and those who are too cowardly to fix their own country. Any sympathy we might feel goes right out the window as they continue their crime spree after arriving here by stealing American identities, jobs and sucking our tax coffers dry. And you get a warm and fuzzy feeling for these people? Where is your compassion for your fellow Americans who have had their jobs and I.D.'s stolen and their taxes jacked up to support these illegals? Our schools, jails and hospitals are overcrowded with them. No, sorry I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling like you do.

There is nothing natural about this country becoming "browner" or for our language to change to Spanish due to an illegal invasion. Do you think Mexico wants to become whiter and their national language changed to English due to an illegal invasion? How about the Chinese? Should their country become German in nature due to an illegal invasion of Germans? Where does that kind of thinking come from? Have I suddenly been transported from reality to the twilight zone here?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

My ancestors came here well after the U.S. was established and within the immigration laws at the time. So no, my family were not invaders, nor were most Americans.

Excuse me but anyone who is a citizen of this country shares ownership in it!

If our country turns browner and Spanish being spoken more than English it will be due to this illegal invasion from south of our border. It isn't a natural occurance. We won't stand for it anymore than any other country's society would stand for the demographics of their country to change due to an illegal invasion. No, we will never get used to nor should we!

And a good number of illegal aliens became pregnant mothers who gave birth on our dime and are sucking our tax coffers dry to support their anchors. Doesn't matter what taxes and illegal pays it doesn't cover their social costs.

There is no ethnic group that holds the corner on honesty, hard working or nice. What a ridiculous statement to make. If they are so honest then why did they violate our immigration laws, steal American I.D.'s, taxes and jobs?

No, they aren't here to stay. Americans will continue to fight this illegal invasion and they will be going home by hook or by crook. YOU get used to it!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM

"Because if those kids were born here, they are LEGALLY American citizens, regardless of the fact that their parents are not legal Do you want to change the constitution?
I cannot believe the contempt some of you people have towards children! Would you rather they did not go to school and ran the streets committing crimes? Then would you be happy"?

Contempt for children? lol. Boy, you're really something, aren't you? These children should be made citizens of their parent's country. Is that what you call "contempt"? The birthright citizenship clause has been misinterpreted for far too long now it needs to be fixed to reflect what the writer's of it meant.

No, I would rather they go home to their true homelands with their parents and go to school there. If they want to lead a life of crime they can do it there, not here.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Because if those kids were born here, they are LEGALLY American citizens, regardless of the fact that their parents are not legal Do you want to change the constitution?
I cannot believe the contempt some of you people have towards children! Would you rather they did not go to school and ran the streets committing crimes? Then would you be happy"?

Contempt for children? lol. Boy, you're really something, aren't you? These children should be made citizens of their parent's country. Is that what you call "contempt"? The birthright citizenship clause has been misinterpreted for far too long now it needs to be fixed to reflect what the writer's of it meant.

No, I would rather they go home to their true homelands with their parents and go to school there. If they want to lead a life of crime they can do it there, not here.
Yes I am something thank you very much.
If a person is born on American soil they are Americans, simple as that.
You state "fixing a clause" when what you really mean is you just don't want any more Hispanics here than have to be. You don't need to try and pretty it up, just admit it.
And not all the kids born here of illegals are committing crime, many grow up to become very productive citizens of our country, who pay taxes and help our country become prosperous, but I am sure you hate that fact as well, because a few of your precious tax dollars went to help them along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration