Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
He also claimed that I said we should "close" our southern border and I never said that. I said secure both borders as much as possible and only allow entry through legal ports of entry.

I agree that college should be a lot more affordable for AMERICANS but no way should we be paying for the college education of illegal aliens. If it were more affordable for Americans more would attend.
He/she/? does seem to twist a lot around to suit their personal agenda. And I agree that securing the borders should be a top priority of the Government given how easily a terrorist could slip through without notice. I would be willing to even help campaign and urge those lawmakers to spend tax dollars on securing borders and providing legal ports of entry as it would give me peace of mind.

I have no problem with College being affordable (isn't that what Community Colleges and State Universities are provided for?) and agree that the more educated our society is, the better it would be. My disagreement is footing the bill for the..dare I say it...anchor babies..of those who came to this country illegally. Why should we reward that behavior?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 PM

344 posts, read 199,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
He/she/? does seem to twist a lot around to suit their personal agenda. And I agree that securing the borders should be a top priority of the Government given how easily a terrorist could slip through without notice. I would be willing to even help campaign and urge those lawmakers to spend tax dollars on securing borders and providing legal ports of entry as it would give me peace of mind.

I have no problem with College being affordable (isn't that what Community Colleges and State Universities are provided for?) and agree that the more educated our society is, the better it would be. My disagreement is footing the bill for the..dare I say it...anchor babies..of those who came to this country illegally. Why should we reward that behavior?
Male. I went to state college. With my parents paying 30k, I'm left with 50k. Not to mention, that if it in the end helps an entire population and others...why not let them go to college? The investment would be more than returned. It's not a reward, esp. when you consider that the children born to illegal immigrants are legal residents.

You have an odd way of showing support for cheaper education.

It's not me that twist your words. It's you not having the ability to accurately portray yourself. It's you not being able to logically make your point.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Male. I went to state college. With my parents paying 30k, I'm left with 50k. Not to mention, that if it in the end helps an entire population and others...why not let them go to college? The investment would be more than returned. It's not a reward, esp. when you consider that the children born to illegal immigrants are legal residents.

You have an odd way of showing support for cheaper education.

It's not me that twist your words. It's you not having the ability to accurately portray yourself. It's you not being able to logically make your point.
Anchors aren't being denied a college education. The Dream Act is about giving a college education to kids who were brought here by their parents illegally so no, they aren't legal residents.

You twisted my words by claiming I said we should "close" our southern border. I never said that. I said we should secure it as much as possible leaving only legal ports of entry open. Own up to what you say rather than denying it.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Anchors aren't being denied a college education. The Dream Act is about giving a college education to kids who were brought here by their parents illegally so no, they aren't legal residents.

You twisted my words by claiming I said we should "close" our southern border. I never said that. I said we should secure it as much as possible leaving only legal ports of entry open. Own up to what you say rather than denying it.
Didn't you support full militarization and a wall? Also the children of illegal children aren't inanimate objects. I didn't state that children of illegal immigrants born here were denied an education.

Why the hostility?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I have a nephew who would like to go to College in California, but he can't afford out-of-state tuition.

If he renounces his citizenship, can he get instate tuition in California?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Didn't you support full militarization and a wall? Also the children of illegal children aren't inanimate objects. I didn't state that children of illegal immigrants born here were denied an education.

Why the hostility?
You said this:

"The investment would be more than returned. It's not a reward, esp. when you consider that the children born to illegal immigrants are legal residents".

The subject is isn't about educating legal resident children (citizens) born to illegal immigrants. It is about your desire for us to pay for the education (in this case college) for children illegally here in our country. Why are you so confused?

What hostility? You're the one who displays it to just about every member in here who disagrees with you.

Yes, I am for the militarization of our borders and the fence but that doesn't mean I am for closing the border since there would still be legal ports of entry.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I am wondering how much tax money goes to the illegals. I was told this week by a senior citizen who was still working because she could not live off the social security she will be allowed that while she will be getting less than $1000 a month of social security, illegal families are given $2,500 a month and they have never paid anything to our government. Is this true. That needs to be stopped. Our government should not be paying anything to or for someone who is here illegally.

If these illegals can get together and put their money together and buy a car, they can put their money together and pay a doctor or hospital bill. And if they paid for their own housing, they might get to use public transportation like those Americans that cannot buy a car do.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:34 AM

155 posts, read 174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I have a nephew who would like to go to College in California, but he can't afford out-of-state tuition.

and he can the percentages for natives, or hispanics have never been better

now it doesnt matter if your driving around in your pick up and see a bunch of hispanics going to college, your just going to assume that they took some natives oppurtunity to go to college.

so bottom line america, is being rejuvenated by hispanics
is not that hispanics are growing in income or that hispanics are lowering standards of americas college grading system.
it just means HISPANICS are younger and the rest are older
the hispanic population is growing 5 times faster then the majority of the population.

if you dont agree with those statistics I dont know what will convice you,
mos of white and african americans are in the 70% range of some college education, if you have the grades education is not denied to you.
Table A-22-1. Percentage of 25- to 29-year-olds who attained selected levels of education, by race/ethnicity and sex: Selected years, March 1971–2009 (http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/2010/section3/table-eda-1.asp - broken link)
Jump in U.S. college enrollment highest in 40 years | National | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/7056360.html - broken link)
• Freshman enrollment of Hispanics in higher education jumped by 15 percent in 2008, compared to 8 percent for blacks, 6 percent for Asians and 3 percent for whites.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Seeing how your nephew probably hasn't lived in CA...and those people have (paying sales tax, etc.) it's obviously not the same comparison. Sarcasm is best when done smartly.

I think that out of state tuition should be done away with.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am wondering how much tax money goes to the illegals. I was told this week by a senior citizen who was still working because she could not live off the social security she will be allowed that while she will be getting less than $1000 a month of social security, illegal families are given $2,500 a month and they have never paid anything to our government. Is this true. That needs to be stopped. Our government should not be paying anything to or for someone who is here illegally.

If these illegals can get together and put their money together and buy a car, they can put their money together and pay a doctor or hospital bill. And if they paid for their own housing, they might get to use public transportation like those Americans that cannot buy a car do.
Actually, illegal immigrants receive 40-50% less per household than citizens and legal immigrants in welfare. Roughly 45% of illegal immigrants have health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration