Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Where is it written that illegals are entitled to a COLLEGE level education? I'm not even convinced that the law was meant to provide high school level education for illegals. It was put in place to ensure the children of MIGRANT WORKERS (ie - here LEGALLY on guest worker visas) would still receive an education, it was NEVER intended to fund education for illegals up to tertiary level.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 PM

344 posts, read 199,460 times
[quote=carolac;15854177]We have a young lawyer in our firm, a little older than you. His dad is one of the two people whose name is on the door. He has a big role in our county's Democrat group. A couple of years ago he talked about illegal immigration like you do--they have a right to be here, it's a right to be educated, etc.

We were all in a big meeting with other partners and his dad, and before the meeting started he was talking about the rights of illegals again. One of our partners looked at him, with his dad in the room, and just simply said, "you haven't been in the work force long enough." His dad said, "that's exactly right."

This is not a slam to you, and please don't take it that way. You just don't know what you don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
I'm 24. I graduated in 2008. Education isn't a privilege it is a right. It's actually one of the human rights established by the US and UN.
It's not a slam, it's a weird argument to make, that's all. No offense taken. Working in this weird field of education/social work (I work with lower income special needs kids), you see what can happen if help isn't given. That's great that rich lawyers who don't deal directly with this population can give their advice, but as MY dad said "age doesn't always confer knowledge". His point was that objectivity and knowledge aren't given with age, but rather by research and education.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Where is it written that illegals are entitled to a COLLEGE level education? I'm not even convinced that the law was meant to provide high school level education for illegals. It was put in place to ensure the children of MIGRANT WORKERS (ie - here LEGALLY on guest worker visas) would still receive an education, it was NEVER intended to fund education for illegals up to tertiary level.
There are so few migrant worker visas. About 30,000 workers. Clearly the demand isn't being met. We should expand that. In coordination, we should try to decrease the education gap for those that are already here. That's a net drain. So the intentions may not be a reflection of the situation.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is rather hard to do don't you think? How can you prove you've been paying all taxes? Wouldn't that mean you have a job paying above the min to actually pay taxes? Don't you have to have some type of documentation to get that job in the first place? It sounds to me that this example would be someone using false documents to get that job and by default "isn't someone contributing". You don't think identity theft would be contributing do you? I would hope not.
Well, the government issued ITINs to illegal immigrants. Therefore they base the percentage on the estimate of illegal immigrants vs. the number of filed tax returns with those ITINs. With the median income of $36,000...you're tax bracket is at 25%. They pay taxes.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, so at what point do you think the tax payers should be given some relief from the mandatory free education they are going to shell out for Illegal Aliens? 2 yr degree, 4 year, Doctorate? What's the cost, per year, for the average University? I'm going to guess 25 grand per year and let's just roll with the 4 year plan.

Ok, now that we've established a baseline of 25,000 and a min of 4 years how do you sell this min of 100,000 to people already making 7 dollars an hour that are US Citizens and will be helping to pay for it? Surely you don't think the 7 bucks an hour crowd should be responsible for your mandatory, free 4 year program do you?

Good luck selling your 100,000 dollar mandatory, free College program for Illegal Aliens paid for by US tax payers (including those making 7 dollars an hour). Even if you bumped up the min for those paying for your free program it's going to be a hard sell for those that see it as a tax and not an education.

If you can dupe the majority of Americans into paying for your mandatory, 100,000 dollar free upper education program for Illegal Aliens then you should run for President. We can have another discussion that includes US poor too but the budget deficit would probably be frightening. Just think of the new taxes we'll get out of this new program.
Nobody is arguing for free education for illegal immigrants only. I would argue for reducing tuition across the board since it's not sustainable to have such high rates of debt fresh out of college. It doesn't make sense economically.

Your argument isn't even based on the topic at hand. It seems to me that you have a very narrow view on taxation that is very, very short sighted and doesn't look at the long term.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not even illegals are smart enough to figure out how to support their very large families on less than minimum wages.

They come for the work AND the welfare handouts. Most could not make it with our very high costs of living, our high health care costs and food costs if they were living on just what they're willing to earn.

If an illegal working for $5 or $6 an hour has 7 or 8 kids, and very many do, or the illegal here having a baby at age 16 with no education nor job skills, they are getting government handouts right and left.

The fact is, American level wages are difficult enough for many Americans who have education and job skills. What's happening is that millions of illegals are brought in who have no ability to even learn English and have no education. They will require much government help.
The median income for illegal immigrants is $36,000. It's poor, but more than you're implying.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
The median income for illegal immigrants is $36,000. It's poor, but more than you're implying.
Based on what? Show us the data to support your assertion, and the source and methodology for their stats. I didn’t know the IRS or SSA have a separate illegal immigration category. Do tell.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Based on what? Show us the data to support your assertion, and the source and methodology for their stats. I didn’t know the IRS or SSA have a separate illegal immigration category. Do tell.
According to Pew Hispanic. And also the ITINs given to illegal immigrants that have filled taxes.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It's interesting that you're not discerning of your data, but only on data that contradicts what you state...Huh. You even stated that there is NO WAY of knowing totals, but then (in another thread) retorted WITH TOTALS once called out. You can't have it both ways. Either you accept that the estimates from non-controversial think tanks and the government are accurate, or you don't. You can't pick and choose data. You can, however, state how the methodology is wrong or provide alternative data...but you can't simply imply that ALL data that doesn't fit YOUR narrative is wrong. It's a huge fallacy in proving your point.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
According to Pew Hispanic. And also the ITINs given to illegal immigrants that have filled taxes.
That doesn't mean they pay taxes. Most illegals will file their income and of course some high number of exemptions when they've caught onto what the EITC is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration