Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why do people just assume Americans of Hispanic decent support illegal immigration?
They don't all support illegal immigration but many if not most of them do. The facts speak for themselves. There is no assumption.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They don't all support illegal immigration but many if not most of them do. The facts speak for themselves. There is no assumption.
You're assuming.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You're assuming.
Nope! As I said, the facts are all out there. I posted an article in here in the past couple of days from the Pew Hispanic site whereby the attitudes of Hispanics towards illegal immigration were polled. Overwelmingly they objected to the enforcement of our immigraton laws, thought that illegals should be able to have driver's licenses and that they wanted amnesty for them. That is only one piece of evidence. There is irrefutable evidence everywhere.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Nope! As I said, the facts are all out there. I posted an article in here in the past couple of days from the Pew Hispanic site whereby the attitudes of Hispanics towards illegal immigration were polled. Overwelmingly they objected to the enforcement of our immigraton laws, thought that illegals should be able to have driver's licenses and that they wanted amnesty for them. That is only one piece of evidence. There is irrefutable evidence everywhere.
You're assuming based on a poll that asked a small number of Hispanics.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You're assuming based on a poll that asked a small number of Hispanics.
I guess you totally disregarded what else I said then. There is irrefutable evidence everywhere.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Quote:
That poll was about enforcement measures. And it polled all Hispanics where as U.S. born Hispanics took a more favorable view to those enforcement measures.

This poll from July 2010 showed broad support for a path to legalization if illegal immigrants have a job and pay back taxes.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...7/rel10f1a.pdf

The poll showed 81% of American adults in favor of such a measure. The support among non-Hispanic whites was 78% while support from Hispanics was 94%.

Some people want to focus on what divides us (and nothing ever gets passed) while others want to focus on what unites us....

Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
I think some of you here are not getting the language spelling difference that Venezuelan speaks about. LATIN is the English word for Latino. The Italian word for Latin is LATINO. And yes Italians are Latins so thus in their own language they are LATINOS.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
In Europe we consider Italy, Spain, France, Romania and Portugal Latin countries. Latin countries because their languages are based on Latin. In the US these countries are probably called Romance countries.

Here's a wiki Latin Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I call them Latin countries as well. I do think calling them "romance countries" is mostly an English speaking thing.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
That poll was about enforcement measures. And it polled all Hispanics where as U.S. born Hispanics took a more favorable view to those enforcement measures.

This poll from July 2010 showed broad support for a path to legalization if illegal immigrants have a job and pay back taxes.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...7/rel10f1a.pdf

The poll showed 81% of American adults in favor of such a measure. The support among non-Hispanic whites was 78% while support from Hispanics was 94%.

Some people want to focus on what divides us (and nothing ever gets passed) while others want to focus on what unites us....
Your poll results are wrong. Most Americans do not want the illegals to remain here. There are many polls out there that contradict yours. Everytime amnesty or the Dream Act is brought up in congress the phone and fax lines are jammed with objecters and the fact that neither has passed is proof enough of how most Americans feel about it.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
If Hispanic citizens do not overwhelmingly support illegal alien causes, their purported leadership (La Raza, MALDEF, LULAC, CHC, CASA) has done them a grave disservice. The massive “immigrant” marches have also done nothing to dispel this belief. Naturally, when we constantly see massive numbers of Hispanics marching alongside illegal aliens, it is not farfetched to assume they are receiving the support of the majority.

I know for a fact there are many Hispanics who do not support illegal immigration. Unfortunately, their voices are muted by the vociferous support from the majority. Some Hispanics have even been ostracized for opposing illegal immigration, and are frequently referred to as “coconuts” and other derogatory terms. I don’t know how anyone can deny this.

Can anyone name even ONE Hispanic politician or advocacy group opposing illegal immigration? Are there ANY who support the enforcement of our current immigration laws? Are there ANY who do not support a moratorium on deportations? Are there ANY who do not label opposition as racist or xenophobic? Are there ANY who even dare refer to these foreign interlopers as ILLEGAL, as opposed to the popular euphemisms? I don’t know of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration