Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times

Advertisements

The problem that alot of people don't understand is that it take years to get your citizenship in America and thats one of the reason why alot of people come here illegaly. Parts of the US like California, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico was originally belong to Mexico and feel that the US stole some of their territory from them. The truth is the US is nothing but a consumer country and wouldn't be in the position it is now, if it wasn't for other countries. If it didn't take so long to be a legal citizen in America, immigrants wouldn't be coming here illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The problem that alot of people don't understand is that it take years to get your citizenship in America and thats one of the reason why alot of people come here illegaly. Parts of the US like California, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico was originally belong to Mexico and feel that the US stole some of their territory from them. The truth is the US is nothing but a consumer country and wouldn't be in the position it is now, if it wasn't for other countries. If it didn't take so long to be a legal citizen in America, immigrants wouldn't be coming here illegal.
The Hispanics stole what is now our Southwest from the Navajo, Apache, etc. Besides: most of the inhabitants (Californios, etc) stayed on.

Too: Texas declared/won their independence from Mexico in 1836 so the latter needs to take it up with Austin. Before anybody gives me any grief over that piece of history----------Mexico did exactly that same thing against Spain in 1821.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The Hispanics stole what is now our Southwest from the Navajo, Apache, etc. Besides: most of the inhabitants (Californios, etc) stayed on.

Too: Texas declared/won their independence from Mexico in 1836 so the latter needs to take it up with Austin. Before anybody gives me any grief over that piece of history----------Mexico did exactly that same thing against Spain in 1821.
Its obvious that California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona was part of Mexico, because all the major cities are spanish names. Mexicans been living here for hundred of years and they are settling in what was originally theirs. Techinically this country was found by Native Americans and was taken from them by Europeans.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Its obvious that California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona was part of Mexico, because all the major cities are spanish names. Mexicans been living here for hundred of years and they are settling in what was originally theirs. Techinically this country was found by Native Americans and was taken from them by Europeans.
Mexico wasn't even a country until 1821.

The SPANISH were colonizing present day California, the Southwest, and Texas until that point (and by colonizing, I mean wiping out the native populations).

There were no "Mexicans." There were the Spanish and there were the Mestizo who worked for the Spanish. Those who owned the haciendas and the few ranches, which, along with the missions, made up the sum and total colonization efforts, were mainly European Spaniards who chose to stay when Spain granted Mexico its independence in 1821.

Armed conflict with the United States began in 1846 and ended in 1848 and the outcome was the Treaty of Hidalgo and the Gadsden Purchase which clarified the boundries left unclear by the Treaty of Hidalgo.

The Native Americans were here for approximately 15,000 years, give or take 500. I think Mexico's piddly litte 25 years pales in comparison.

Oh and by the way, Mexico was not innocent in the slaughter of Native Americans. The conflict in Texas began because Mexico paid the Texans with land and gold to "take care of the Apache problem." Mexico paid a bounty of two dollars a pair for the ears of my ancestors, the Apache. The problems in Texas began because Mexico decided that after the Texans had subdued the Apache, they were no longer needed and attempted to remove them from Texas--which in retrospect, was not the smartest move they could have made.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Mexico wasn't even a country until 1821.

The SPANISH were colonizing present day California, the Southwest, and Texas until that point (and by colonizing, I mean wiping out the native populations).

There were no "Mexicans." There were the Spanish and there were the Mestizo who worked for the Spanish. Those who owned the haciendas and the few ranches, which, along with the missions, made up the sum and total colonization efforts, were mainly European Spaniards who chose to stay when Spain granted Mexico its independence in 1821.

Armed conflict with the United States began in 1846 and ended in 1848 and the outcome was the Treaty of Hidalgo and the Gadsden Purchase which clarified the boundries left unclear by the Treaty of Hidalgo.

The Native Americans were here for approximately 15,000 years, give or take 500. I think Mexico's piddly litte 25 years pales in comparison.

Oh and by the way, Mexico was not innocent in the slaughter of Native Americans. The conflict in Texas began because Mexico paid the Texans with land and gold to "take care of the Apache problem." Mexico paid a bounty of two dollars a pair for the ears of my ancestors, the Apache. The problems in Texas began because Mexico decided that after the Texans had subdued the Apache, they were no longer needed and attempted to remove them from Texas--which in retrospect, was not the smartest move they could have made.
Well duh, I did say techinically this country and the rest of North America down to South America was inhabited by Native Americans. The majority of Mexicans have Native American ancestries. Its obvious that alot of them have Native American ancestries by their features and culture.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Well duh, I did say techinically this country and the rest of North America down to South America was inhabited by Native Americans. The majority of Mexicans have Native American ancestries. Its obvious that alot of them have Native American ancestries by their features and culture.
I'd love to give you an archaeological lesson you'll never forget but I don't think that I have the energy to type it all out.

I have a B.A. in Anthropology. I am currently in my graduate program at a major four year university. I've probably forgotten more about the peopling of the New World than you will ever know. So, suffice it to say, the Native Mesoamericans and the Native North Americans are separated by at least 13,000 years of cultural, biological, and linguistic evolution. Those living in Mesoamerica, whether they traveled by land or by water, never again came north of the present day Sonoran Desert. It was an impenetrable land barrier.

Simply because many Mexicans are Mestizo, i.e.; have native Mesoamerican ancestry, (as well as European) does not entitle them to freely cross sovereign American borders at will nor does it give them license to CLAIM the entire continent based upon this ancestry. There is a huge segment of the American population who also share Native American ancestry as well as a continued substantial population of Native Americans themselves, and let me tell you, the ones I know aren't terribly sympathetic to the illegal immigrant claim of ownership of the entire North American continent.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
For the record: Mexico has only been truly independent since 1867---------when the French left.

Too: where is Mexico's rage over them losing Guatemala after 1821? It is as if Mx does not even want Guatemala back due to it being poor and mostly indigenous Mayans, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Quote:
Its obvious that California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona was part of Mexico, because all the major cities are spanish names. Mexicans been living here for hundred of years and they are settling in what was originally theirs.
It's not obvious to me at all. Of those states, which ones besides CA have capital cities with Spanish names? And don't forget the cities (including many in FL) that were founded or settled by Spanish explorers and missionaries looooonnnggg before anyone in what is now Mexico had ever learned Spanish. If a city's name implies that its territory used to belong to someone else, the world would be a cartograhper's nightmare right now.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
It's not obvious to me at all. Of those states, which ones besides CA have capital cities with Spanish names? And don't forget the cities (including many in FL) that were founded or settled by Spanish explorers and missionaries looooonnnggg before anyone in what is now Mexico had ever learned Spanish. If a city's name implies that its territory used to belong to someone else, the world would be a cartograhper's nightmare right now.
No joke there: Virginia has both Altavista as well as Buena Vista.........and, Missouri has a town named Mexico.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
The USA takes in far more legal immigrants than any other nation in the world. Mexicans do not have a racist right to break the laws of this nation. They do not have a right to cut in front of all the would-be legal immigrants who would respect and abide by the laws.

Another problem -- many illegals never even attempted to come here legally. They simply paid a smuggler and came on in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration