Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What part of English is our defacto national language and not Spanish that you don't understand? I couldn't care less that you don't like the way it sounds or whatever other objection you have to it. English is also the language of business across the world, not Spanish.

There was no need for you to insult me about this subject calliing me xenophobic or ethnocentric. What do those words have to do with wanting English as our official language? Not a damned thing! You are going on my ignore list with the rest of the trolls in here.
Maybe there is something about language that leads to more economic stability and prosperity.

Notice which countries in the Western Hemisphere have the highest standard of living. And it's not about race - the USA, Canada, followed by Barbados. The main English speaking nations and Barbados is mostly black.

India is the largest English speaking nation in the world and so is producing physicians, computer programmers and making big strides since it chose to have English as it's common language.

It seems the ethnocentric immigrants are shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to ever learn the international language of the First World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM

192 posts, read 115,588 times
Are you ignoring China and Japan simply because they totally refute your point?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Notice how Asian countries have historically (except during the industrial luck of the round eye, and the round-eye drugs episodes) always been better than western countries.
currently. Japan is number two. China is number three. It must be the "asian tongue" that gives them the magic superiority complex.
China is big, many people. MOST of its people ARE poor, like Mexico.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
you would be wrong. I accept both Spanish and English. however, a Nation is best having an official language. an official language is best simple and efficient. Spanish is more phonetic and easier to write than English. Spanish also has an established system of grammar that allows few inconsistancies unlike English. Our English is based solely on current trends in both writing and speaking. I'm no expert here, but I'd say that you are not going to stop me from speaking Spanish or any other language I may learn. My children would teach yours Spanish because my children will know it, and yours will not. English is not a language that I would be proud to have my children blindly memorize, as it currently stands. Are you comparing your seemingly ethnocentric Xenophobia to that of Mexicans? In anycase, I don't care that English was the Colonial language of the 13 original States. The point remains that I think Spanish is easier, and that "meshing" doesn't involve conforming to an existing body even though some of its aspects are meaningless, exchangeable, or even detrimental.
English is the language of money. Spanish aint. NO Spanish speaking country is rich xcept Spain and its havin problems. It is what it is.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
China is big, many people. MOST of its people ARE poor, like Mexico.
If we're going by standard of living, then we should all start learning Luxembourgish. Or Arabic. Or, guess what, Chinese (Singapore and Hong Kong have very high standards of living, with per capita GDPs above that in America).

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe there is something about language that leads to more economic stability and prosperity.

Notice which countries in the Western Hemisphere have the highest standard of living. And it's not about race - the USA, Canada, followed by Barbados. The main English speaking nations and Barbados is mostly black.

India is the largest English speaking nation in the world and so is producing physicians, computer programmers and making big strides since it chose to have English as it's common language.

It seems the ethnocentric immigrants are shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to ever learn the international language of the First World.
I don't understand why this is not looked at as an invasion when they come here and don't assimilate?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why this is not looked at as an invasion when they come here and don't assimilate?
Illegal immigrants do assimilate. And it's not an act of invasion if they decide they like speaking Spanish with other people who also speak Spanish.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
No, they were European colonizers too. and they destroyed much of what we could have learned and enjoyed from Aztec and Inca civilizations. I would assume that most Mexicans are native, however, as all the Spanish colonizer were and are white, and should easily trive in the capitalist United Mexico, especially the inner cities. I doubt all mexicans have colonial descendants. But that is what colonists usually do though isn't it? they breed in. I would be surprised to find a pure Colonial American(trace all their anscestors back to colonial days), who doesn't have some sort of Native American blood in them by now.
Ok but the person I was responding too said the whites had commited so many atrocities but remember the spanish and now mexicans killed thousands of the natives and native americans. The Native Americans in the southwest were there long before the mexicans tried to take over control.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
...The Native Americans in the southwest were there long before the mexicans tried to take over control.
But their language is now considered more "foreign" than English, if you follow some reasonings here...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But their language is now considered more "foreign" than English, if you follow some reasonings here...
Actually, they are minority languages as is Spanish. Once this country was established as the USA English became the national language so all others took a back seat to English like it or not. Spanish wasn't the language of what is now called the country of Mexico either at one time but it is today. Get my drift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration