Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,874,571 times

Advertisements

^^ I did not say that Americans will not do dirty work unless they receive handouts. I said they, who have no other work options, would rather live on Gov't welfare than do dirty work.

I do not know who Chi-nut is. I was responding to the OP.

I disagree with your laziness comment but agree with the overqualified comment.

Hunger will drive a person to any type of work if offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,347,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Then you why would you be debating them then if you could care less about comming up with a solution? Why bother unless you just like to argue or troll?

Then you agree that Americans aren't up for the task and visas are out of reach, otherwise they would just get them. We need it done though right? Why kick a machine that isn't broken? So we are back at square one.

Since there is no such thing as a "fair wage" they are working market wages that Americans think they are too good for obviously. I suggest you start a new thread if you want more answers.

Your troll remark has been reported. Myself and numerous others in here have offered a solution to illegal immigration but pro-illegals like yourself don't like any solutions that would remove illegals from this country.

No, I don't agree that the visas are out of reach. What part of that aren't you getting? Many farmers won't use them ONLY because they would rather hire illegals who will work for less and that they don't have to provide health insurance and housing to.

Ever heard of minimum wage? That at the very least is supposed to be paid to a worker. There are going and fair wages however for every type of job.

Welcome to my ignore list with your "troll" remark.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM

951 posts, read 747,363 times
The problems with the h2a visa have been linked many times. Proponents on your side of the table admit there are issues with it. Quit using this weak excuse as your trump card.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,022,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The law is NOT racial profiling, it against ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS and hiring them.
True, the law itself as written is not "racial profiling". But in practice it's 100% certain that racial profiling will be employed in implementing it.

Quote:
Not about slavery either, which is just a lame attempt to introduce an element into the argument that is totally irrelevant to the issue.
If the argument is "white people will do those jobs" the fact that white people have historically imported brown people to do those jobs seems pretty relevant to me.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
True, the law itself as written is not "racial profiling". But in practice it's 100% certain that racial profiling will be employed in implementing it.

If the argument is "white people will do those jobs" the fact that white people have historically imported brown people to do those jobs seems pretty relevant to me.
You have proof that in "practice" that most LE are racial profiling? It isn't just white people who are being discriminated on the job but blacks, asians, etc. also. due to the influx of cheap, illegal mostly Mexican labor. No, the majority of white people nor any other racial/ethnic group are importing "brown" people here illegally to work. Are you going to go way back to the slave days now to smear white people only?

Just what jobs are you talking about? Since when haven't whites done construction, restaurant and most other blue collared jobs? Stop the race card pulling!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,022,387 times
What does this "discrimination" (which isn't discrimination at all) have to do with law enforcement?

I just called a bunch of landscapers to re-sod my backyard. I am probably going to hire the cheapest one (assuming their references check out). Am I "discriminating"? In a technical sense, of course I am. But not in the sense you're using the word, where you're just trying to get an emotional response out of people.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
What does this "discrimination" (which isn't discrimination at all) have to do with law enforcement?

I just called a bunch of landscapers to re-sod my backyard. I am probably going to hire the cheapest one (assuming their references check out). Am I "discriminating"? In a technical sense, of course I am. But not in the sense you're using the word, where you're just trying to get an emotional response out of people.
Non-hispanic Americans are being discriminated against in hiring practices because most of them don't speak Spanish to pander to illegal aliens. If we were enforcing our immigration laws like we should be this wouldn't be happening.

Taking bids from companies that only have legal workers on their payrolls and selecting the lowest bid isn't the same thing as hiring illegal workers just because they are cheaper than the rest.

Emotional response? I haven't a clue what you mean by that.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,268,217 times
Which jobs wont american citizens do?
Construction? My house built 11 years ago was built by legal contrators using American citizens to do the work.
masonary worK? Once again not an illegal on the crew.
landscaping? Well plenty of the them in business in my area I see local kids mowing grass, doing the work. I guess americans will do the work.
Cleaning and janitorial work? Well I work in a huge factory. No illegals allowed through the gates. Even our contractors are required to verify the legal status of their employees.
Agriculture. Read somewhere that only 25% of agricultural jobs are done by illegals. So who is doing the rest of it?

Last edited by tinman01; 07-05-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,728,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
There were no immigrations laws to speak of during the western expansion of the country. What is your proof that the white immigrants were illegal? (And I thought that most railroad workers came from China. )
I have read that the most prominent laborers on the railroads were Chinese immigrants followed by the Irish. But that Italian and Polish, to name two others, also represented. Many of these were quite legal, having come to Ellis Island and going through the registration process. They answered the "Go West young man" call that further propelled our Manifest Destiny. Since they were mostly unskilled and new to the country, they sought what was available to them. Along the way, the more ambitious, industrious rose above the menial jobs. E.G. a glimpse of the history of Mammoth, CA shows that the Chinese played a huge role in its development. Many of these Chinese, displaced after the railroad jobs dried up, became doctors and financiers in what is now the Aspen of California.

I would think anyone, American or otherwise, would resist farm laborer jobs, known for brutal conditions and low wages, if they were used to a higher standard of living prior to that.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,728,599 times
Default Welfare asa demotivator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
It it was work or starve as in the Third World then everyone would work.

Why do a dirty job if I can obtain free housing, food, expense money, healthcare?
Kurt Vonnegut Jr., noted author, once had one of the cynical (?)characters in his book say, "If you give the poor money, they will only whine for more." Unfortunately, this appears to be true for some welfare recipients. Where is their incentive to go to work if the welfare, whether received legally or illegally, is equal to the menial pay? For some, pride is not an issue and they give all the hard working "poor" a bad name.

I say if we are are going to have strict immigration laws, then do so and enforce them to the fullest extent, or live with the consequences of the alternative. Currently, we are mired in racial, economic and political arguments and are doing neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration