Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So you know what is on the minds of pundits and you feel that the rest of us don't that you have to create a thread to explain it to us.

I wish I had mind reading abilities.

Actually, the guy has a point.

"Hispanics" from Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Puerto Ricans, etc. are not represented in significant numbers in "ground zero" of the illegal immigration debate.

Many Americans (idiot newspeople included) think "Hispanic" is synonymous with "Mexican" and I think that its disingenuous for Mexican ethnic sympathizers to point to "Hispanic representation" and population numbers as a whole to pretend as if they're all one big happy family. They're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually the anchors (news in this case, not babies) are varied in nationality on Univisión. And by a couple generations, those even on Mexican descent in the Southwest do not identify themselves as "Mexican-Americans", but the now more popular term of "Hispanic". Thanks for trying to change the categories - Benicar also finally lets on that Hispanics are profiled - but "Mexican" is not synonymous with "illegal alien".
Where have you been? This is not the first time I have commented on the suspicions many now have toward Hispanics due to massive illegal immigration from Mexico. And, if you object to the conflation of Hispanic with Mexican, you can blame Hispanic IA profiteers such as La Raza, LULAC, MALDEF, et al. for propagating this myth to support their agenda. However, it cannot be denied that the majority of illegal aliens are so-called Hispanics, comprised primarily of Mexicans. So, naturally, when most people think of illegal aliens, Mexicans come to mind. Their sheer numbers, coupled with the fact that we now have more illegal aliens from Mexico than legal immigrants, has earned them that designation.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
In TX it's been my experience that the "Hispanic" label is used almost exclusively by Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. Hispanics from or with ancestries from other nations/territories seem to prefer the label "Latino/a". That's just what I've noticed anyway.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In TX it's been my experience that the "Hispanic" label is used almost exclusively by Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. Hispanics from or with ancestries from other nations/territories seem to prefer the label "Latino/a". That's just what I've noticed anyway.
I believe it's confusing to people in and outside the label.

I again, believe we should just scrap using the term hispanic and if we are going to refer to people by an ethnic or national origin, then refer to them by their correct ethnic and/or national origin.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Where have you been? This is not the first time I have commented on the suspicions many now have toward Hispanics due to massive illegal immigration from Mexico. And, if you object to the conflation of Hispanic with Mexican, you can blame Hispanic IA profiteers such as La Raza, LULAC, MALDEF, et al. for propagating this myth to support their agenda. However, it cannot be denied that the majority of illegal aliens are so-called Hispanics, comprised primarily of Mexicans. So, naturally, when most people think of illegal aliens, Mexicans come to mind. Their sheer numbers, coupled with the fact that we now have more illegal aliens from Mexico than legal immigrants, has earned them that designation.
Could you provide a cite for this?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
There's 40.5 million foreigners (way too much in my opinion) resident in the U.S. in 2010. Of those, 23.7% were Mexicans. Mexico presents the largest contributing country of foreigners to the U.S. The 2nd largest country, in contrast China, only represents 4.7% of the foreign born population. Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not clear if those numbers also include the illegal population, however. It doesn't make that distinction. So liberals, stop kidding yourselves. These laws that target "Hispanics" as you say, are really Mexicans. As I said previously, Mexicans represent 2/3 of all Hispanics in the U.S., and there are 18 different other groups in the U.S.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I believe it's confusing to people in and outside the label.

I again, believe we should just scrap using the term hispanic and if we are going to refer to people by an ethnic or national origin, then refer to them by their correct ethnic and/or national origin.
Absolutely! A so-called Mexican “Hispanic” has nothing in common with an Argentine, other than a shared language, and even that differs. Most Americans, British, and Australians speak English. Yet, we would NEVER be considered one ethic group, let alone race.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Good grief! How many times must I cite the same info? If you want more, it is readily available. GOOGLE!

Quote:
From the time of the nation's founding, immigration has been crucial to the United States' growth and a periodic source of conflict. In recent decades, the country has experienced another great wave of immigration, the largest since the 1920s. However, for the first time, illegal immigrants outnumbered legal ones. The number of illegal immigrants peaked at an estimated 11.9 million in 2008. About 11.2 million illegal immigrants were living in the United States in 2010, a number essentially unchanged from the previous year, a 2011 study showed.
Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times

Quote:
More immigrants came to the United States illegally from 2000 through 2004 than the number who were granted legal status in those years, according to a study released yesterday that attributed much of the historic shift to visa slowdowns since 2001 and to the nation's strong job market before that.

Pew demographer Jeffrey S. Passel said he believes this was the first time in the nation's history that new illegal arrivals outnumbered new legal immigrants. "The presence of the undocumented makes a big difference," he said. "This is what differentiates this from 100 years ago. There really wasn't anything like what we call illegal immigration today."
Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

254 posts, read 590,939 times
The "illegal immigration movement" does not target illegal Mexicans only, it targets illegal immigrants, of course if you are originally from Puerto Rico or Cuba it will make no sense as you are probably already legally in the US.

Many other legal immigrants (Mexicans included) do not favor the illegal immigration movement due to several reasons such as:

- It increases the waiting time for legal immigrants
- Has increased xenophobia
- Legal immigrants which are not family based from latin american countries discriminate "lower classes"

I do not see a point in trying to mark Mexicans as a group with hidden/evil purposes, trying to make the generalization that Mexicans support in general radical "reconquista" movements is just as bad as generalizing that all oppose illegal immigration are racist.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingVoltron View Post
And yet we have innumerable posts on how English speaking is such an important part of our "culture" (which I have yet to have anyone even try to define despite repeated requests). Ahh sweet irony.
I don't know who you asked to define, but I think that a common language is important. Language has always been a big component of any nation's culture. A nation could have multiple languages, but those languages usually don't conflict with one another. Here, Spanish and English are conflicting with one another. There are many instances where people in the U.S. can't communicate with others in a public area and it is not some rare moment like if you had to speak Vietnamese, Portuguese or something and you couldn't. No, it is getting to the point where if an English-speaking person ordered from a popular restaurant they wouldn't be able to communicate with the workers. I'm not talking about a family-owned Mexican restaurant, I'm talking a place like McDonalds.

I went to McDonalds about 4 months ago and there was a Spanish-speaking woman running the drive-thru. I noticed that she would just give the food and take the money. No communication or greeting, just bad customer service. I asked her in Spanish if she spoke English and she said, "No, not much," and I then asked her how she was able to greet the customers or help them if they had questions. She just shrugged and said that she doesn't know.

I found that experience to be horrible because we prefer for our businesses to be service-oriented. McDonalds was my very first job as a teen and I know that one of the things we wanted to do was to provide great customer service even in the drive-thru. So, since so many illegal immigrants are filling most of the fast-food jobs I see the decline in customer service and I think that that takes away from our culture of customer-oriented businesses. That, in my opinion is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration