Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM

20 posts, read 15,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Maybe it isn't about "open borders"...
Well then, define your terms...What exactly are you advocating for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRider View Post
...What exactly are you advocating for?
Better reading comprehension skills...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 AM

20 posts, read 15,024 times
Quote:
Better reading comprehension skills...
Regarding...? Forgive me for asking (I haven't really spent enough time reading all the posts here), however, is it not his/her position that a free open border policy (free flow of workers across borders) is being advocated and to legalize those that are currently here illegally?

Last edited by FreeRider; 08-31-2011 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: Added question

Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Open borders and unlimited immigration would be different if there were unlimited jobs, unlimited resources, unlimited ability for our government to care for all the over 2 billion impoverished throughout the world that would like the easy good life here.

That's not the case, it's nice to be idealistic but you also have to be practical. There aren't enough jobs for the American people and the government doesn't have the resources to care for the whole world.

Everyone can feel sorry for the poor people of the world, especially those who keep having many children they cannot provide with iPhones, new clothes, dinners out and all the wonderful material things but there are limitations. The whole world cannot come here, not even just all the impoverished and disadvantaged of the world.

There have to be rules to keep the whole process orderly and fair.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
After reading through some of the posts here, I haven't found a clear open border policy articulated that will work. At least not with regards to our current welfare policies, the conditioning of our populace with entitlements and of course the consequences of fiscal debt to meet those demands.

Having an open border welfare state is really not feasible in my view.

The other item that will obviously need to be evaluated is current affirmative action programs for the protected classes migrating in. Those policies will be very difficult to abandon, even after having achieved their original legislative goals.

Exactly - I live right on the border and you look at the over 1 million people of Juarez who all I'm sure would at this point want the good easy life, most would like to be here, and a huge chunk of them have already made the move to this side of the border.

It's easy to feel kind of bad for those who haven't yet done so - but it's still a whole lot more people and with huge needs. They never really have made it where they are, it seems like it would be nice just to help them all pack their things and come on over.

I can see how a very young idealistic person would want to do just that. Okay, there aren't jobs in El Paso but how unfair it is to have anyone living in Juarez right now with it's problems, just bring them all on in give them free schools here, let them use our hospitals even if they can't pay. The open borders types have much compassion - just not much practical.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
I´m more hoping he will use that brilliant mind to first become an immigration lawyer...

But it´s his choice...
Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
LOL...so you want to be a politician do you?

Really, how would you implement these ideal concepts of yours?
What do you mean by implement? Before it seemed that you meant "sell" but now I can't tell.

BTW lol @ being a politician. Hell no.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
After reading through some of the posts here, I haven't found a clear open border policy articulated that will work.
Have you found one from the opposition?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Are you being serious or sarcastic?
I'm being absolutely serious about his brilliant mind...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 08-31-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly - I live right on the border and you look at the over 1 million people of Juarez who all I'm sure would at this point want the good easy life, most would like to be here, and a huge chunk of them have already made the move to this side of the border.

It's easy to feel kind of bad for those who haven't yet done so - but it's still a whole lot more people and with huge needs. They never really have made it where they are, it seems like it would be nice just to help them all pack their things and come on over.

I can see how a very young idealistic person would want to do just that. Okay, there aren't jobs in El Paso but how unfair it is to have anyone living in Juarez right now with it's problems, just bring them all on in give them free schools here, let them use our hospitals even if they can't pay. The open borders types have much compassion - just not much practical.
It's not even that compassionate. I don't find it fair to single out the struggling American taxpayer and ask us to solve Mexico's economic problems. No American should be forced to subsidize a foreign national's desires to come here without permission. We most certainly should not be forced to assist people who cannot otherwise make it here unless we literally provide them with food and lodging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration