Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM

537 posts, read 441,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I never even told you folks I was part mexican until today...why is that such a big deal?

Anyway, no matter what your bias is towards proud cultures, I am here legally I have worked my entire life, as do my parents. Not 1 day ever have we asked for a handout not even unemployment and I have 3 degrees and work in Silicon Valley.

BTW My Irish family are just as proud to say they are Irish, as my Mexican side.
Sorry, but I read a post of yours last night where you called yourself a Mexican-American and you know it.

I noticed that to you it is ok for Mexicans to be proud of their culture but not Americans who happen white Anglos. Why is that? Please explain that to us.

Not one person here said anything about you taking any welfare. That is not necessary since so many real illegals do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
I think every person has every right to be proud of whoever they are, there isn't any culture that should be "ashamed" or whatever the opposite of proud might be. We are who we are the day we enter this world, and should embrace that person as valid and worthy.

However, being an American citizen, I am only an American. I don't hyphenate. If someone asks me what my heritage is, then I will tell them. There is a difference between citizenship and heritage. What there should be no difference in is every American should be considered red white and blue before all else, or they don't belong here as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think every person has every right to be proud of whoever they are, there isn't any culture that should be "ashamed" or whatever the opposite of proud might be. We are who we are the day we enter this world, and should embrace that person as valid and worthy.

However, being an American citizen, I am only an American. I don't hyphenate. If someone asks me what my heritage is, then I will tell them. There is a difference between citizenship and heritage. What there should be no difference in is every American should be considered red white and blue before all else, or they don't belong here as far as I'm concerned.
Nicely said, I agree. I am an American first. Am I proud of my family heritage, yes I am. Do I hyphenate. Nope. My family well my dads, came from Germany in 1940. They were so proud to be here, they learned english right away, although they were not the best speakers, but they did their best. they bought american, celebrated American holidays as well. Did they forget thier roots, of course not. Did they impose their traditions on anyone else. No they wouldnt have dreamed of doing that. They became Americans first and foremost.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Sorry, but I read a post of yours last night where you called yourself a Mexican-American and you know it.

I noticed that to you it is ok for Mexicans to be proud of their culture but not Americans who happen white Anglos. Why is that? Please explain that to us.

Not one person here said anything about you taking any welfare. That is not necessary since so many real illegals do that.
White-Anglos can be proud, I think they are of the proudest. I didn't know that White-Anglos are all that make up America, is it every culture and every races job to be like White-Anglos in America? No it is not.

I never said that racism only comes from White People. Be proud. But be sensitive to other cultures, America is the best country in the world, but not without its own bias and oppression.

Myths, like the ones I posted are prevalent here in the US.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
White-Anglos can be proud, I think they are of the proudest. I didn't know that White-Anglos are all that make up America, is it every culture and every races job to be like White-Anglos in America? No it is not.

I never said that racism only comes from White People. Be proud. But be sensitive to other cultures, America is the best country in the world, but not without its own bias and oppression.

If they have been expereinced by others they are not myths.I am sensitive to other cultures, I enjoy many other cultures. But I will not have them forced on me, it shouldnt be that way. Go to Japan and tell them that hey have to cater to you and respect your culture, without respecting theirs. See how long you would last. or even the French, or many other countires. I would never treat another countries people that way. When I go to Ireland or Germany I make sure to observe their culture and way of life and behave with respect. It should be that way here as well. Respect is a two way street.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
I hate the term "White Anglo." Most whites in America are "White German," not "White Anglo!" (AKA, British descent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderart
The biggest myth of all you posted is the twisted version of history that too many Mexicans subscribe to.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The staunchest supporters of illegal immigration from Mexico into the United States are the white Mexican ruling class, because they ship their brown, indigenous population to the US because THEY don't want to deal with them and then call Americans RACIST
Which CLEARLY we are not, eh?
Where would they ever get that idea?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The biggest myth of all you posted is the twisted version of history that too many Mexicans subscribe to.
If you read a History Book from another country you will probably get a different version of the events. I believe it is good to be educated across many countries not just America, I subscribe to world consciousness.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Which CLEARLY we are not, eh?
Where would they ever get that idea?

This is beside the point. Mexicans calling Americans racist when they are, themselves, racially motivated in their OWN immigration policy is a pot-kettle situation. It's kind of like expelling Jews out of your country and then chastising your neighbor for being "anti-semitic" for not wanting to take them in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50thuderdart
If you read a History Book from another country you will probably get a different version of the events. I believe it is good to be educated across many countries not just America, I subscribe to world consciousness.
Please tell me, what about what I said in your response to the "stolen Mexican land" claim is REALLY up for debate?

The facts I laid out for you are NOT open for interpretation. Population numbers, citizenship switching, accounts of Native American problems with Mexican settlers, Mexico receiving stolen land from Spain after independence are facts that are NOT up for debate. Nice try though.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
This is beside the point. Mexicans calling Americans racist when they are, themselves, racially motivated in their OWN immigration policy is a pot-kettle situation. It's kind of like expelling Jews out of your country and then chastising your neighbor for being "anti-semitic" for not wanting to take them in!

Please tell me, what about what I said in your response to the "stolen Mexican land" claim is REALLY up for debate?

The facts I laid out for you are NOT open for interpretation. Population numbers, citizenship switching, accounts of Native American problems with Mexican settlers, Mexico receiving stolen land from Spain after independence are facts that are NOT up for debate. Nice try though.
Ok US did not steal California from Mexico, Wars win land, US wins, I concede to that part of the article.

You are taking a few words and trying to derail this thread which is on Myths about Mexican Immigration, stay focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration