Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Just because the MAN has a work visa does not mean he has the right to bring his pregnant girlfriend into the United States illegally. The men in question are not working any harder than the other employees that are United States Citizens.
Why should our American unskilled workforce have a grand education and know 2 languages? This is the United States, we speak ENGLISH. I don't have a "grand education", that hasn't stopped me from working, acquiring job skills, and being a productive member of society.
Well same thing can be said about an Americans wife getting welfare and medicad here. Personally I believe if they are hired here and work here, they should have the rights of an American.

Most illegals know enough english to get around. When it comes to things like medical care it is tough though, but most hospitals have a spanish speaking person there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Well same thing can be said about an Americans wife getting welfare and medicad here. Personally I believe if they are hired here and work here, they should have the rights of an American.

Most illegals know enough english to get around. When it comes to things like medical care it is tough though, but most hospitals have a spanish speaking person there.
I don't approve of an American wife getting welfare either. But, at least she is a citizen.
If they are a Medicare approved facility they MUST provide a translator. Yet another drain on the medical industry. We have a woman we call in when needed at our facility.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
So the answer to the problem is to just give them what they want and the problem will go away. Well, sorry - but that has been tried - remember the great amnesty of 86? And what was the result of that? More illegal aliens than ever. I don't really see that as a solution to the problem and certainly not worth trying again.
Thanks for bringing up the prier amesty . I was going to look it up and have forgotten. Well here is what I found.
No. 3 - Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty of 1997
President Clinton twice signed continuing resolutions to extend the September 30, 1997 expiration date of Section 245(i). The first continuing resolution extended the deadline until October 23, 1997 and the second continuing resolution extended Section 245(i) until November 7, 1997. Section 245(i) was then further extended until January 14, 1998 by Congress as part of the conference report to H.R. 2267.

So that means President Clinton gave amnesty 3 times to the illegals. Pretty pathetic when you see where are now!

President Bill Clinton No. 6 - Late Amnesty of 2000
This amnesty was the result of an agreement between the Clinton White House, Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, and Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert. The "late amnesty" allowed all illegal aliens who had been part of lawsuits claiming that they have been illegal aliens since before 1982 and should have received amnesty under the 1986 IRCA amnesty but for various reasons were denied, to renew their request for the amnesty.

The Late Amnesty of 2000 is expected to apply to an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens.

No. 7- LIFE Act Amnesty of 2000
The LIFE Act of 2000 that was passed in December, 2000 reinstated Section 245(i) for the first four months of 2001 (Jan-April).

The House Immigration Subcommittee estimates that 900,000 aliens applied for adjustment of status in the first full year of the reinstatement.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 AM

273 posts, read 249,435 times
I think the politicians know amnesty is a laim duck for good. What is more disturbing are the ways Washington is disguising new laws which facilitate and appease the illegals.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Are Mexicans a "race"? Last I checked, Mexicans come in many different shades, from the rich white Spaniards who haven't a drop of indigenous blood, to oppressed indigenous people, without a drop of white Spanish blood.

The staunchest supporters of illegal immigration from Mexico into the United States are the white Mexican ruling class, because they ship their brown, indigenous population to the US because THEY don't want to deal with them and then call Americans RACIST for resisting the flood of poor people (and really, we have enough of our own to take care of first, thank you).

What IS Mexico's rationale for having harsh illegal immigration policies of its own on ITS Southern border, btw?
And too the Spaniards who conquered what is now Latin America stole the land from the indigenous peoples (Aztec, Mayan, Inca, Yaqui, etc) so today's so-called 'Hispanics' have no moral ground to stand on. In all fairness though; at least the Aztec Nation was in a state of decline; if Spain (or another European power like England or Portugal) not grabbed it, the Mayans, etc. likely would have done so-------and, it would have been just a footnote in history.

And too a Mexican friend of mine; who BTW is 100% White racially (all 4 of his grandparents immigrated to Mexico from Russia) stated that a trait of at least Mexican culture is that of thumbing ones' collective noses at authority-------due in part to Mexico having a well deserved reputation for corruption.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think every person has every right to be proud of whoever they are, there isn't any culture that should be "ashamed" or whatever the opposite of proud might be. We are who we are the day we enter this world, and should embrace that person as valid and worthy.

However, being an American citizen, I am only an American. I don't hyphenate. If someone asks me what my heritage is, then I will tell them. There is a difference between citizenship and heritage. What there should be no difference in is every American should be considered red white and blue before all else, or they don't belong here as far as I'm concerned.
First US born generation here:

My dad is an immigrant from Hungary and my birth surname sounds Hispanic-------never mind the fact that I am Nordic White in appearance and consider myself as an American too. No hyphens here either

Old 09-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
Against what? Americans are not breaking Mexicos' immigration laws, flooding their cities and draining their economy. It's too bad Mexico couldn't develope itself into a prosperous country. As I fly over it, I always think of the abundance of natural resources below and how they could have done so much more with it. Instead, I look down on final approach over Leon and see miles of slums.
And too Mexico is not poor compared to most of Africa or Asia------their per capita income is over $10K a year.

Mexico is also the 14th weathiest country in the world........

In defense of the 'little' Mexicans; they have really stepped up and limited their family size, try 2.4 children per woman vs. the 5.7 back in 1975. Replacement birthrate is 2.1 kids.

Who knows? SOB may wind up like either Ireland, Italy or Spain--------50 years all three places were trash but today the above are solid First World lands. )

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
If said people are legal; either by citizenship or Green Card, OK. Otherwise; toss 'em out and confiscate their assets/earnings due to fraud.

Quote:
Oh well if they are illegal.

NOTE: that was not directed towards tourists/business people from SOB or anybody else

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The bottom line is WE WANT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS OUT and NOW! Mexico and mexicans can say we are racist all day long and I could care less because the real racism starts right in Mexico among their own people. The "white" mexicans have treated the "brown" mexicans in a deplorable way and are pushing them across our borders.
Very true:

The standard of beauty in Hispanic culture is white skin and blue eyes------not the stereotypical brunet Mestizo.

And; take a look at a telenovela, they may be in Spanish but, the actors/actresses are almost invariably White Hispanic-------of Scandinavian and other European heritage. One almost never sees a brown person aside from a laborer, etc.

Analogy: think Black vs. White here in the USA 50 years ago.

If I were a darkskinned Latino; I would be insulted by the above depictions.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well if you are working and making a US company money thus adding to the US GDP, then yes I do. If you are here and not working, then no. If we just gave them working visas much of this nonsense would go away.
Let me put it this way:

If the illegal immigrants were granted blanket amnesty; I can all but guarantee that a lot of their putative work ethic would go away-------no more incentive to 'fly under the radar', so to speak.

And; hindsight being 20/20, perhaps the US should have subjugated all of Mexico instead of part of it back in 1848.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration