Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have Cities in CA with an ICE agent on the ready at the station.
But what do they do when called?
Remember we're talking about uniformed cops on a scene or traffic stop...
who should have other duties to be getting back to waiting for an answer.

I'm not seeing much more than the same "catch and release" as always.
The 1 in 100,000 that ICE has targeted for other reasons notwithstanding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just the opposite, this is a victory for AZ and other states will follow...

Nita
I heard arizona's bonehead gov. say the same thing. It is simply incorrect. The supreme struck down everything with the exception of item, which was not ripe for review. What did they win? Everything was either ruled unconstitutional are not ripe for review at this time, which means it could be rule unconstitutional once the state of Arizona begins to litigate it.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama sued for the portion the court upheld
my point exactly...

Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my point exactly...
Well if that is your point. You are both wrong. They did not uphold that one portion, but did not find it ripe for review.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This was a great decision because it not only offers some protection to the poorest and most despised people among us who have only did the "crimes" of taking filthy jobs no American would touch and wanting to feed their family BUT, most importantly, it establishes again the SUPREMACY of the Federal Government over the states. This is good for the country.
If that job that no American would take, was all that was available between living and starving without a place to live, My wager is, someone would start working that job. As long oas the federal government is willing to give away tax dollars to support people, it will stay this way.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This was a great decision because it not only offers some protection to the poorest and most despised people among us who have only did the "crimes" of taking filthy jobs no American would touch and wanting to feed their family BUT, most importantly, it establishes again the SUPREMACY of the Federal Government over the states. This is good for the country.
This is a sad day for state's rights. Each state of the union is a sovereign nation of it's own.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is a sad day for state's rights. Each state of the union is a sovereign nation of it's own.
No it's not and we are reminded of this daily from youth to old age.

"ONE NATION, under GOD, With liberty and justice for all".

Ring a bell?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
If a LEO asks me for ID here in Canada I will tell him to stuff it. I'm not required to identify myself to agents of the state unless they have "Probable cause" to suspect I have committed a crime. No BS probable cause will do either because I would sue and they know it. Without that freedom we really can't call ourselves a free people at all. We are fortunate that our supreme court takes this right seriously and almost all arrests arising out of illegal searches are thrown out.

My son was asked by a cop in Vancouver to empty out his backpack. He said to the cop, "AH, NO WAY, you have no cause to be harrassing me"!!!! When the cop started to insist my boy cut him off and asked him the key question. "Am I free to go"? The cop, lucky for him, must have suspected something was up because he said, "yes, but you are not being very helpful" LOL. My son was actually setting the cop up for a royal screwing because if the cop had said no you are not free to go then the law says that he has placed you under arrest. My son is a lawyer and a rabid civil rights advocate and that cop and his force would have been in very hot water and would have lost the false arrest case brought againsy them without a doubt.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,768 times
So let me see if i have this straight? Our biggest concern is that these illegals are not citizens, and therefore any tax money that goes to help them is wrong? What if we look at it from a different viewpoint. The term "citizen" is one we seem to hold by, but eliminate that term for a minute. What if we look at these illegals as human beings who live in our neighborhoods who hold down jobs and pay plenty in sales tax. Now what if we could also get them to pay federal taxes on earnings?

I worked in an industry where I was constantly around these illegals, and guess what? They're people too. They just lack the technical designation of citizen. But otherwise, they bleed red. Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them? (And btw, I'm a card-carrying Republican, so don't blame my ideas on bleeding heart liberalism)

Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So let me see if i have this straight? Our biggest concern is that these illegals are not citizens, and therefore any tax money that goes to help them is wrong? What if we look at it from a different viewpoint. The term "citizen" is one we seem to hold by, but eliminate that term for a minute. What if we look at these illegals as human beings who live in our neighborhoods who hold down jobs and pay plenty in sales tax. Now what if we could also get them to pay federal taxes on earnings?

I worked in an industry where I was constantly around these illegals, and guess what? They're people too. They just lack the technical designation of citizen. But otherwise, they bleed red. Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them? (And btw, I'm a card-carrying Republican, so don't blame my ideas on bleeding heart liberalism)

Can't we come up with solutions that include these folks in the American fabric, instead on constantly seeking ways to exclude them?

America has been doing exactly that throughout it's history. Irish, Jews, Italians, Germans, Chinese and on and on. Now the politicians have made immigration reform a wedge issue. If either side gives an inch, they feel they are losing the political fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration