Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

Interesting how so much indignation is leveled at AA itself, and not the conditions that warranted its implementation in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Interesting how so much indignation is leveled at AA itself, and not the conditions that warranted its implementation in the first place.
I think that the passage of time might contribute significantly to the objection many folks have to Affirmative Action. The baseline problem sort of becomes less of an issue as more opportunities are provided to subsequent generations.

My own personal point of view (which may anger some of you) is that I favor Affirmative Action as a specific tool to assist folks who have been treated improperly by society, with fixed targeted remedies. However, I think that it should be set up with very rigorous critical reviews every 10 years, with a modification of the protections provided under Affirmative Action as the disadvantaged group is better integrated as a postive contributor to society.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM

44 posts, read 35,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think that the passage of time might contribute significantly to the objection many folks have to Affirmative Action. The baseline problem sort of becomes less of an issue as more opportunities are provided to subsequent generations.

My own personal point of view (which may anger some of you) is that I favor Affirmative Action as a specific tool to assist folks who have been treated improperly by society, with fixed targeted remedies. However, I think that it should be set up with very rigorous critical reviews every 10 years, with a modification of the protections provided under Affirmative Action as the disadvantaged group is better integrated as a postive contributor to society.
When somebody first sets foot in the U.S., how is it they've been improperly treated? If anything, shouldn't they be grateful they were admitted to the U.S. in the first place?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
ONLY blacks should ever get affirmative action (if at all. Personally, I think economic status should count, not race or ethnicity, but that's a whole different thread).

Affirmative action is meant to correct past wrongs. ALL other immigrants come here on their own volition, and cannot and should not expect affirmative action.

Plus, AA for "hispanics" is patently unfair, since being "hispanic" doesn't signal anything about what your ACTUAL background, experience, appearance, or race is.
Uh...what about women? We've been wronged too, and we're still being wronged (along with blacks).

Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDARE Reader View Post
When somebody first sets foot in the U.S., how is it they've been improperly treated? If anything, shouldn't they be grateful they were admitted to the U.S. in the first place?
My reference is to Affirmative Action itelf, not who is included. I'll let the Legislative Branch identify those parameters.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Uh...what about women? We've been wronged too, and we're still being wronged (along with blacks).
I love it when "women" are categorically distinguished from "minorities".

Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
As I've said before, I think any reasonable person can understand that America owes a moral debt to blacks, which it's our duty to honor, within certain limits and "checks" (as NewToCA has suggested)---American Indians, obviously, also. Mexicans? That's a stretch, but OK, we "took" part of their land, so let's at least listen to their case.

But as for the REST of the world, I fail to see how they qualify for our American "AA" benefits---I just don't get it. What sort of historic debt do we owe these people?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:

That's because AA still exists when in fact it's no longer needed. One should have indignation for injustices. Currently AA is an injustice.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
That's because AA still exists when in fact it's no longer needed. One should have indignation for injustices. Currently AA is an injustice.
Well at least you admit that it was needed at one time. Pardon my disingenuousness, but I'm curious to know why you think AA is no longer needed. Do the conditions that contributed to the formation of AA still exist?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As I've said before, I think any reasonable person can understand that America owes a moral debt to blacks, which it's our duty to honor, within certain limits and "checks" (as NewToCA has suggested)---American Indians, obviously, also. Mexicans? That's a stretch, but OK, we "took" part of their land, so let's at least listen to their case.

But as for the REST of the world, I fail to see how they qualify for our American "AA" benefits---I just don't get it. What sort of historic debt do we owe these people?
Agreed. AA should only seek to redress the country's self-generated condition of systematized exclusion of specific social groups with a self-perpetuating and self-governing "counter" condition of systematized inclusion of those groups. Only makes since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration