Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixnil View Post
You just don't get it. No one is normal after seeing the horrors of war. You must think it's like going to Disney Land?
I agree, you can't judge a person who underwent such a trauma

the father of a friend of mine is a vietnam veteran, he had to spend 2 years in a psychiatric hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I agree, you can't judge a person who underwent such a trauma

the father of a friend of mine is a vietnam veteran, he had to spend 2 years in a psychiatric hospital
Must be nice to be a teenager, and able to see the world in such clear black & white terms. I wish I was as smart as I was half a lifetime ago.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Must be nice to be a teenager, and able to see the world in such clear black & white terms. I wish I was as smart as I was half a lifetime ago.
Must be nice to be only twice the age of a teenager.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Must be nice to be only twice the age of a teenager.
What can I say...it rocks to be in one's 30s.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,953,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
That's because you never get out and look, it goes on right in your backyard in California.Or if you would like come to Texas and I will show it to you .
I've been to San Francisco many times and it has a very large homeless population. I've not once seen a Hispanic homeless man. Now I know some live in sheds or scrap wood houses in L.A-- but they do work. They just can't afford to rent a proper home.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,264,067 times
i see that Mexican girl or whatever hasnt had time to once defend her view in this thread. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-07-2007 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Let's not speculate on other poster motives

Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,953,205 times
A lot of young latino teenagers are pro-illegal. They don't understand both sides of it like I do. Their reason for open borders is they are sympathetic towards the issue. They understand a lot of illegals come for an honest days work which is true.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
So...all immigrants from Africa and Asia are legal? They never enter illegally through our ports? Have you ever been to Chinatown in San Francisco or Monterey Park in LA? Little to no English is spoken in the beforementioned areas (and they're not speaking Spanish either).
Of course illegal immigration exists among these groups, as well as among Europeans. But they are considerably thinned out by the fact that they can't "walk" here...the trip is a huge, life-changing commitment for them, and once here, they're essentially "stuck".

Most importantly, these "other" illegals don't seem to annoy the locals here. They don't hold loud, raucous street demonstrations---they don't claim to "own" the place--and they basically live "below the radar"--which is a pretty smart thing to do for ANYONE who happens to be breaking the law. Don't call attention to yourself, and you'll likely not get "pursued". We're a pretty easygoing society, and normally we only react when we're pushed.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
A lot of young latino teenagers are pro-illegal. They don't understand both sides of it like I do. Their reason for open borders is they are sympathetic towards the issue. They understand a lot of illegals come for an honest days work which is true.
Teenagers are SUPPOSED to be idealistic. It's NORMAL for them to espouse all sorts of stuff- I'd suspect that a lot of Anglo teenagers are pro-illegal, too, particularly along the "coasts". When I was 17, I had a lot of "far-out" ideas too.

The people who upset ME, though, are the 30 and 40 year olds who STILL support illegals. These people should know better. By the time you're 40, you should know there's no "free lunch". Somebody's going to have to pay the bill...

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Of course illegal immigration exists among these groups, as well as among Europeans. But they are considerably thinned out by the fact that they can't "walk" here...the trip is a huge, life-changing commitment for them, and once here, they're essentially "stuck".

Most importantly, these "other" illegals don't seem to annoy the locals here. They don't hold loud, raucous street demonstrations---they don't claim to "own" the place--and they basically live "below the radar"--which is a pretty smart thing to do for ANYONE who happens to be breaking the law. Don't call attention to yourself, and you'll likely not get "pursued". We're a pretty easygoing society, and normally we only react when we're pushed.
An interesting observation.... proximity to United States = greater tendency to reject American culture and be "in your face" with your own?

Experiences locally suggest that may be so. (Haitians are increasingly visible culturally around these parts, much to the chagrin of many African Americans. There aren't enough white American people left to care, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration