Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 AM

12 posts, read 35,830 times

Advertisements

well my step father is an illegal alien and becoming legal in america is not easy...
and the things you have to go through from other people is even worse
but sometimes i feel like half of the immigrants in america are just causing trouble
and are making it harder for our legal system
plus their children are getting an american education which is way better than what they get in mexico
i lived in mexico for 2 years and it is horrible over there
i mean it must be really bad over there if people are willing to get in the trunk of a car to get over to our country...
idk
but i do understand were you are coming from
~ashley~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
ashley, we are not against immigrants here at all. We are against the illegals who don't want to become legal citizens of America. We are against the illegals who march and protest for "their rights", who think they should have rights like the citizens, when in some ways, they have more. We can't get a lot of the free services they get. Not even our Vets can. It should be somewhat hard to become legal. I'm glad your step father is trying, and glad that you understand. It's bad over here for a lot of our own citizens who go hungry, and live in poverty. I just think we should take care of our own first, don't you?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 AM

382 posts, read 954,430 times
We're in this mess because we indeed gave amnesty to law breakers in the past. Amnesty encourages more millions to continue coming here. They know our federal government and many American citizens have no guts to oppose them in our "feel good, don't hurt anyone's feelings, guilt ridden" society.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:25 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times
Default Your logic is flawed!

You said: I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist".

If you legalize those people, within months you would have millions more newly illegals aliens. The border will be rushed when people determine that they would be new amnesties. Would you then legalize the new illegals who just arrived so your goal of not having any illegal immigrants in America will be realized?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
The bottom line is its bad because it rewards illegal acts. It rewards people for cheating the system. It rewards people for not paying taxes, identity theft, and fraud. But worse still it rewards people for stealing jobs from legals by lowballing the wages. The clear message that it sends is come to the USA sneak in, eventually they will give you amnesty.
No amnesty is the wrong message the wrong response to those who don't care about our laws.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
It scares me that anyone who is a USA citizen would suggest amnesty again. Has the whole country gone crazy?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 AM

902 posts, read 718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
It scares me that anyone who is a USA citizen would suggest amnesty again. Has the whole country gone crazy?
Not the whole country at all. In fact, the majority of people in the country want the illegals deported and no amnesty. It is just the loud and vocal pro-illegal idiots who want amnesty.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Whats really amazing is that our elected officials continue to turn a deaf ear to the voice of the people.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

Honest immigrants get visas -- illegals sneak in. And we're supposed to treat both of these groups the same? Please. I'm beginning to believe these "amnesty" supporters really WANT a large peasant underclass they can lord over and use as servants. The promise of America has been upward mobility -- encouraging illegal immigration doesn't keep that promise.
You may very well be onto something there:

With Americans of all races dropping their collective birthrate down to around two children per woman; which is replacement rate-----that has effectively dried up the labor pool here of exploitable workers.

Supply and demand in other words.

Too; with so many of the 'lower class' people adopting the trappings (and manners) of the alleged privileged classes-------that is placing unprecedented strain on the 'pecking order' of American society IMHO.

There may be real fear that many of the present elite will be toppled due to them shirking their duties and refusing to pitch in getting their hands dirty because it is 'beneath' them.

Oh well.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
We have 13 million people who basically have "illegal" status. These people probably work, shop and do everything as anybody else. Why would not amnesty be a good idea? I have heard the argument "We can't reward people for illegal behavior". I mean, we have rewarded people with 7 amnesties since 1986, why not another one?

I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist". I also feel like having illegal status might be a big incentive for criminal behavior, since many of these people have "nothing to lose". Deporting 13 million people is costly and logistically impossible, so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Because we have LAWS! We get to pick and choose who we want immigrating to this great nation. Amnesty only rewards law breakers and is an incentive to keep the flow of illegals coming in (notice they kept coming after the "last" amnesty-which was a huge mistake in my opinion). I for one don't want someone that so casually disregards our laws to become a legal citizen. They have no respect for you or me or this country period. We do not have to round up 13 million people and deport them. We simply have to enforce our laws. Hold employers accountable, the jobs will end and most will self deport. Those remaining would most likely be mostly gang members and hardened criminals which need to be rounded up and put in jail or deported. Pretty simple, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration