Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Its a far bigger issue than the middle class of America. Globalisation is an integration of trade and culture of the wider world. It makes the world smaller. Access to info and technology becomes easier and prices are cut globally through increased competition.

The globalisation by large corporations which in turn leads to the exploitation of a country's goods and workforces should be stopped. If the globalisation of industry and fair trade was started in the developing world then these countries may begin to recover and thrive as they deserve instead of getting further and further in debt while the developed world watches.

If the OP and many responses are something to go by, then globalization is a grossly misunderstood subject, and more should be done to simplify it and present to society. Many responses on this thread are about "stop helping the third world, and think about our country first"... a very shallow, close minded, and confused understanding.

Its hard to understand why anybody could think that helping third worl countries to get out of debt and to build stronger and more developed economies could be a bad thing.
Have you ever heard of "America First"? I think we have to take care of ourselves first - we have 20% of our children in poverty (which hasn't changed since the '70's), 1/3 of elderly women are in poverty, our jobs are going to other countries, our wages are depressed by illegal immigration, 11% of our citizens don't get enough nutrition on a regular basis, our veterans coming back don't get the care they need and many are homeless - what more do you want to hear about what we need to do right HERE at home?!

Shouldn't we deal with these issues first, before we start helping someone else, or are you saying that globalization will take care of these problems that we have here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I disagree. They may have been taught that globalism is good -- in that they believe globalism is about cheap products available to buy and they may not connect the stagnant wages with globalist "free trade".
If wages are stagnant, but goods are getting cheaper - then what's the problem? That looks like a net benefit to me. The ability to buy more stuff with the same amount of money - that's what helps the poverty-stricken, right?

Last edited by anonymous; 02-07-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
11% of our citizens don't get enough nutrition on a regular basis
..and around 70% of our citizens are obese.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
If wages are stagnant, but goods are getting cheaper - then what's the problem? That looks like a net benefit to me. The ability to buy more with less - that's what helps the poverty-stricken, right?
Uh - no. Many goods are NOT getting cheaper - like housing, utilities, medical care, etc.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
..and around 70% of our citizens are obese.
Yes, that's another problem that has to be solved. But, it's 70% overweight OR obese - many are merely "overweight".

Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Uh - no. Many goods are NOT getting cheaper - like housing, utilities, medical care, etc.
It sounds like your problem is with malamute's claim that goods are cheaper, not my post.

But what do medical costs and housing costs have to do with globalism?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
It sounds like your problem is with malamute's claim that goods are cheaper, not my post.

But what do medical costs and housing costs have to do with globalism?
Since globalism would depress our wages, since we're in competition with the whole world (most of which has lower costs of living), that's how it fits in. With globalism, we make less money, but everything else goes up here in the U.S.

It's the way it is now, since wages have been stagnant for decades. It would only get worse, IMO.

But, prove me wrong. Would housing, gasoline for your car, medical care, utilities, etc. get cheaper, too, with globalism?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Since globalism would depress our wages, since we're in competition with the whole world (most of which has lower costs of living), that's how it fits in. With globalism, we make less money, but everything else goes up here in the U.S.

It's the way it is now, since wages have been stagnant for decades. It would only get worse, IMO.

But, prove me wrong. Would housing, gasoline for your car, medical care, utilities, etc. get cheaper, too, with globalism?
We will find out because you are not going to stop globalism, so the whole topic is irrelevant, you are not going to stop it , you are not going to stop it, repeat repeat 1...N times.

Not trying to be a "meany", but I think stopping globalism is right up there with stopping the internet.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-07-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
We will find out because you are not going to stop globalism, so the whole topic is irrelevant, you are not going to stop it , you are not going to stop it, repeat repeat 1...N times.

Not trying to be a prick, but I think stopping globalism is right up there with stopping the internet.
Ah - wouldn't it be lovely, though?

Why do you think it can't be stopped, if everything we do is "man-made"? It's not like God has decreed it. We can stop lots of things, if we put our minds to it. Are you saying because of GREED, it can't be stopped? Or, what else is it?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Not trying to be a prick, but I think stopping globalism is right up there with stopping the internet.
Sadly, I'd have to concede this point. There's just no way to stop progress, good OR bad progress. WE can't "Un-Invent" Nuclear weapons, NOR the internet. In a free society, we can't REALLY even keep terrorists out---not completely.
Globalism is very DEFINITELY a "double-edged sword".

Having said all that, I DO predict a "hardening" of our American attitude. We are going to be FORCED to make a few adjustments in our outlook, sad as that sounds. We have no choice.....without that, we'd soon be overwhelmed by the poverty, dissension and chaos of the "Real World" out there, where the "average human" lives.

We may see a few of our freedoms and rights being curtailed over the years..better get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration