Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
1. Only for the Kids?! That couldn't be further from the truth, more adults than children attend those classes.

2. It's very difficult to learn another language, you have to immerse yourself in it. Many Illegal Immigrants, ecspecially adults have a difficult time because they are not immersed with Americans to learn English. There households are of Latin Origin, they usually do under the table jobs with other immigrants(legal or not). I've tried learning Spanish for the longest time, and realized I have to be spoken to or hear it spoken, such as the Spanish News or people who speak Spanish. There's a Brazilian guy at my work, and he speaks Portuguese and has broken English, and he personally told me he has to listen to alot of English to learn it.

3. You and I have no idea the percentages of illegal immigrants applying for green cards. The statement is a broad generalization.

ESL in public schools is for the kids. I know spanish and I am not immersed in it all the time, it is called effort, so what is there excuse? Alot of these adult ESl classes like the ones my friend teaches at here in Phx, only has Koreans and a couple of Russians in it, Why are they making the effort if it is to hard? Every freakin Korean that has ever done my nails has known english, hard to understand, yes, but they make the effort. how many Korean or chinese or russain or italian or arab newspaapers or radio or tv stations in america do you know of? Or have you ever heard press 2 for Korean? No why because they are trying to become part of America. My son knows German, and is now learning Japanese, I dont want to hear the too hard statements anymore, it is called effort and time. I also know some german and old gaelic from my grandmother. And you can go to the immigration website to find stats on the greencard applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
The coyotes, who are wealthy ( and for the most part people I don't care for ) pay off the border control.

You don't have to pay of a border patrol agent alot. Think about it, $50 -$75 a person adds up.
Who pays the coyotes? From what I understand here is AZ it can cost a couple of grand to get across the border.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 AM

39 posts, read 74,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yet you completely discount those with their own not so nice personal experiences with them, why is that?

Because you generalize. You are putting all illegal immigrants in the same boat. If you witnessed a black person stealing, would you assume there all the same? Probably not. I understand it's any easy thing to do. I have seen (on three seperate occasions), illegal immigrants driving drunk. One rear-ended car and tried to run. I witnessed the accident and held the hand of the guy in rear-ended car while he spit his teeth out. The second time, an illegal immigrant stole a car, hit three people, then hit 5 cars, and finally hit a tree. The third time I followed the guy until the police came. Does it infuriate me that these people did this? Does it infuriate me that the came here illegaly and helped fuel the racism towards latinos? Yep. But, "they" are not all the same.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The evidence is against you. How many posts will you read, how many things you will you see with your own eyes before you see the truth? Do you think people are making this up?

*****What rally did you see that the illegals carried American flags??****

I remember seeing an American post office have the American flag taken down and replaced with the Mexican flag though.

The one I participated in in downtown Raleigh on May 1st, 2006. They were everywhere. And everyone I talked to spoke English.

There are people within the Latino group that do not speak english, but they're all not the same.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
1. I've seen baseless attacks on illegal immigrants, with a lack of sufficient evidence. I see creative stereotypes for a large group of people who aren't receiving a fair handshake.

2. There were a bunch, I will retrieve pictures if you choose.

3. Isolated Incidence, ignorant broad generalization. I saw Jesse Jackson on T.V., must mean black people are still complaining about civil rights. In 2007, some Americans still can't break the pattern of generalizations and stereotypes.
You are awesome. Thank you so much!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Because you generalize. You are putting all illegal immigrants in the same boat. If you witnessed a black person stealing, would you assume there all the same? Probably not. I understand it's any easy thing to do. I have seen (on three seperate occasions), illegal immigrants driving drunk. One rear-ended car and tried to run. I witnessed the accident and held the hand of the guy in rear-ended car while he spit his teeth out. The second time, an illegal immigrant stole a car, hit three people, then hit 5 cars, and finally hit a tree. The third time I followed the guy until the police came. Does it infuriate me that these people did this? Does it infuriate me that the came here illegaly and helped fuel the racism towards latinos? Yep. But, "they" are not all the same.
Ah yes generalize, like some here generalize they are all good honest people from a poor background. It isnt generalizing that they are illegal!!!! It isnt generalizing to say that if they are working and paying any taxes they are doing so on stolen ID's as non citizens cannot have SS#, it is not generalizing to say they use the system, evidence is the closing of too many hospitals to count and racking up unpaid hospital debts. I dont think many are paying 13000 dollar birth bills. I have never said they ALL commit crimes other than illegal entry. But do we really need more crime? And around here it isnt generalizing to say that the hispanic or mexican or however you prefer it to be said, neighborhoods are slums and crime ridden, gee considering most were not before all of them came says something, sorry seen it too many times to discount. And too hear thousands of accounts of the same thing over and over and over the country also leads me to believe it is widespread, otherwise so many americans wouldnt be downright ticked off..

Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
1.Why are they making the effort if it is to hard?

2.Every freakin Korean that has ever done my nails has known english, hard to understand, yes, but they make the effort. how many Korean or chinese or russain or italian or arab newspaapers or radio or tv stations in america do you know of? Or have you ever heard press 2 for Korean?

3. And you can go to the immigration website to find stats on the greencard applications.
1. Those who attend ESL classes are not making an effort?! You could make an honest effort, but not have the best method, and not sufficiently learn the language.

2. There are other language and newspapers in every language. Have you heard of digital cable or satellite? I used to have a babysitter for my brother from Lebanon, she read an Arabic Newspaper. Does this mean she doesn't want to assimilate?

3. Someone not knowing where to go to find a green card, is completely different from someone desiring a green card.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The one I participated in in downtown Raleigh on May 1st, 2006. They were everywhere. And everyone I talked to spoke English.

There are people within the Latino group that do not speak english, but they're all not the same.

We lived and worked and did construction in Raleigh for two years, had yet to meet one that would speak spanish, other than the legal ones.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
You are awesome. Thank you so much!
Don't worry Susan, there are level headed folks who understand these people on a humane level. Bless your heart, and thank you deeply for the compliment.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
1. Those who attend ESL classes are not making an effort?! You could make an honest effort, but not have the best method, and not sufficiently learn the language.

2. There are other language and newspapers in every language. Have you heard of digital cable or satellite? I used to have a babysitter for my brother from Lebanon, she read an Arabic Newspaper. Does this mean she doesn't want to assimilate?

3. Someone not knowing where to go to find a green card, is completely different from someone desiring a green card.
Again, her ESL classes are almostempty she does 4 two hour classes a day, except for koreans. and it isnt about being fluent just learning some basics, and some do make the effort in school then again I have spoke to teachers that say they have a hard time getting the kids to want to do it, alot dont care. I dont have to have cable or satellite here to see and hear spanish. Those satellite channels are not here in America they are broadcast for the other countries. I havent seen any Arabic papers available or Korean or Italian or German and so on.

And what asking for information on greencards is that hard? Call the embassy or government and ask. numbers are listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration