Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
Some of them are also paid off my the illegal immigrants.
they can afford to pay of coyotes and border patrol yet they are so poor they cannot afford food in their own country. Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yet you completely discount those with their own not so nice personal experiences with them, why is that?
I don't discount them, I discount the broad generalizations and inflammatory remarks that they dislike Americans and choose not to assimilate made from those experiences towards a large group of people.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I don't discount them, I discount the broad generalizations and inflammatory remarks that they dislike Americans and choose not to assimilate made from those experiences towards a large group of people.
Well I have yet to see that large group assimulate or even try. I have been able to pick up some spanish, no reason they cannot learn some english and live the way we do and respect our laws. I have met a LARGE group of them that have no plans to stay here, 10 year plan, and they have told me most are the same. They are not taught in schools in Mexico to respect us, on the contrary in fact.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM

I see ESL classes at almost every school in my area. One school is solely for ESL. I believe the Immigration Rallies had a ton of American Flags Waving. I know illegal immigrants who repeatedly try to submit papers to gaing citizenship. Maybe, just maybe, some of them want to assimilate. There are probably some who choose not to assimilate, but there's not a fair hand shake to those who do.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I see ESL classes at almost every school in my area. One school is solely for ESL. I believe the Immigration Rallies had a ton of American Flags Waving. I know illegal immigrants who repeatedly try to submit papers to gaing citizenship. Maybe, just maybe, some of them want to assimilate. There are probably some who choose not to assimilate, but there's not a fair hand shake to those who do.
We are paying for those ESl classes. And those are for the kids, I dont see to many adults attending. They need to abtain a green card to obtain citizenship, if they have a greencard, they are here working and paying taxes, unless they have a expired one. I am sure some of them do want to assimulate, but the majority doesnt, otherwise there would be little need for bi-lingual this and for spanish press one. Our free ESL classes for adults here is almost empty ( my friend teaches there) except for a handful of Koreans ( which actually learn english) And really if they want a fair shake they need, to apply at home for their greencard while working their butts off to pay for food, they would get more respect.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Quote:

The evidence is against you. How many posts will you read, how many things you will you see with your own eyes before you see the truth? Do you think people are making this up?

What rally did you see that the illegals carried American flags??

I remember seeing an American post office have the American flag taken down and replaced with the Mexican flag though.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
1.And those are for the kids, I dont see to many adults attending.

2.I am sure some of them do want to assimulate, but the majority doesnt, otherwise there would be little need for bi-lingual this and for spanish press one.

3. And really if they want a fair shake they need, to apply at home for their greencard while working their butts off to pay for food, they would get more respect.
1. Only for the Kids?! That couldn't be further from the truth, more adults than children attend those classes.

2. It's very difficult to learn another language, you have to immerse yourself in it. Many Illegal Immigrants, ecspecially adults have a difficult time because they are not immersed with Americans to learn English. There households are of Latin Origin, they usually do under the table jobs with other immigrants(legal or not). I've tried learning Spanish for the longest time, and realized I have to be spoken to or hear it spoken, such as the Spanish News or people who speak Spanish. There's a Brazilian guy at my work, and he speaks Portuguese and has broken English, and he personally told me he has to listen to alot of English to learn it.

3. You and I have no idea the percentages of illegal immigrants applying for green cards. The statement is a broad generalization.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

1.The evidence is against you. How many posts will you read, how many things you will you see with your own eyes before you see the truth? Do you think people are making this up?

2.What rally did you see that the illegals carried American flags??

3.I remember seeing an American post office have the American flag taken down and replaced with the Mexican flag though.
1. I've seen baseless attacks on illegal immigrants, with a lack of sufficient evidence. I see creative stereotypes for a large group of people who aren't receiving a fair handshake.

2. There were a bunch, I will retrieve pictures if you choose.

3. Isolated Incidence, ignorant broad generalization. I saw Jesse Jackson on T.V., must mean black people are still complaining about civil rights. In 2007, some Americans still can't break the pattern of generalizations and stereotypes.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
Sorry, the subject is something I am very passionate about and sometimes I ramble on and on about it.

I am a Christian and have a degree in Christian Counselin. I have been shocked at the coldness shown by the church towards illegal immigrants. There are exceptions. I briefly attended a church in Raleigh, NC called St. Francis of Assisi and they had a migrant worker ministry.

IMO, within the Christian church for the most part there seems to be a disdain for illegal immigrants. It's ironic, given the fact that Jesus spent his entire life with the suffering and poor.

I've been burned you could say. I would love to meet some Christians that recognize that illegal immigration is a problem but that the solution is not stopping Latinos from entering the country. The solution is offering more visas to those who are willing to work so they can be here legally.
Hmm, in Freehold, NJ (the area I'm from) the Illegal Mex. population has exploded. Almost every church in town, and there are plenty, has a program for the Hispanic population. Dinners, shelter, Habitat for Humanity, and other ministries.

You did apologize for the generalization, but I don't know where it came from. What other religious groups or faiths do you know of that is doing so much for illegals? Really, I'm curious.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM

39 posts, read 74,555 times
Quote:
they can afford to pay of coyotes and border patrol yet they are so poor they cannot afford food in their own country. Odd.
The coyotes, who are wealthy ( and for the most part people I don't care for ) pay off the border control.

You don't have to pay of a border patrol agent alot. Think about it, $50 -$75 a person adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration