Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I don't doubt that...I mean, how many Hungarians do you hear about forcing Hungarian on everyone and taking over whole cities?
Mention the Treaty of Trianon of 1920 and many Hungarians freak out-------along the lines of Mexicans whenever the Mexican-American War of 1848 is brought up.

Thank God I self identify as an unhyphenated American.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mention the Treaty of Trianon of 1920 and many Hungarians freak out-------along the lines of Mexicans whenever the Mexican-American War of 1848 is brought up.

Thank God I self identify as an unhyphenated American.
I'll bear that one in mind, should I run into any Hungarians/Hungarian-Americans

Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
I'll bear that one in mind, should I run into any Hungarians/Hungarian-Americans
works for me

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,003 times
Quote:
Hatred? What hatred are you talking about? I don't know about you, but I don't "hate" anyone.

Why is it that people like us can't express our opinions about what we feel is an unfair and outdated immigration system?

Also, let me tell you that I live in Miami and while I accept that Cubans are not all to blame for the problems here and the way this city has turned out, a lot of the illegals came here because Miami became a Spanish speaking mecca, in which you can get by without even knowing English, at the expense of those who were here LONG before the Mariel Boatlift incident.

As for your flag, I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like the fact that some of you people fly your flags all over the place. After all, you came here for a new life and to be US citizens, not just Cubans waiting to go back to Cuba.
We came here to have a better life. But I never said anything about stopping being Cuban just because now I live in the USA. I owed nothing to this country, I have worked for everything that I have and I paid my way in, legally. So I will keep flying my Cuban flag, because that is my right. Gotta love America.

Last edited by CLTKing; 05-05-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a flag of honor View Post
i really haven't read the previous threads but if you hang a cuban flag in america, at least hang the american flag over it.. you are in america and NOt cuba.. respect our flag and our customs..Cubans came into florida many years ago and took over Miami.. they hang signs in their homes "americans go home".. so try and realize this is the garbage americans have to deal with.. now with 30-40 illegal aliens bombarding the usa and demanding we pay their way is absurd.. Americans have had enough..
"Americas have had enough.." Well, what are you going to do about it? That's the problem with Americans. Love to blog, love to talk about it in forums like this, but nothing gets down outside a few words typed on a computer.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
"Americas have had enough.." Well, what are you going to do about it? That's the problem with Americans. Love to blog, love to talk about it in forums like this, but nothing gets down outside a few words typed on a computer.

I am a very vocal person when it comes to political issues that are of my interest, and, there is quite a few of them. And I like to see these forums as a way to discuss on some of the issues that I have. What i wonder though, what is the socio-economical and education level of the people on this forum.

In my experience, the higher the socio-economic and education level of people I have talked to the higher the tolerance for illegal immigrants as well as their tolerance in other topics as outsourcing jobs to other countries. And the least amount of tolerance for issues regarding human rights and animal rights.

The curious thing is that even though this is a democracy the power lies not (without trying to be disrespectful) on the sheep but on the shepherd. And usually the 'shepherd' is of a somewhat higher level than the average person.

-Kellem

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I am a very vocal person when it comes to political issues that are of my interest, and, there is quite a few of them. And I like to see these forums as a way to discuss on some of the issues that I have. What i wonder though, what is the socio-economical and education level of the people on this forum.

In my experience, the higher the socio-economic and education level of people I have talked to the higher the tolerance for illegal immigrants as well as their tolerance in other topics as outsourcing jobs to other countries. And the least amount of tolerance for issues regarding human rights and animal rights.

The curious thing is that even though this is a democracy the power lies not (without trying to be disrespectful) on the sheep but on the shepherd. And usually the 'shepherd' is of a somewhat higher level than the average person.

-Kellem
You have to be kidding. Who are you doing your little interview and data gathering with? One family of Illegal Aliens? You appear quite young so I won't treat you too harsh on your comments. Most studies show that wealthy business owners and relatives of Illegals are for open borders since they are the ones benefiting from it. The average tax payer (read middle to upper middle income bracket) are the ones taking the monetary hit for Illegal Aliens coming here. We are the majority so you need to modify your data points to include the majority.

Anyway, enough from me, you are about to get schooled by some of the "higher socio-economic level" members here. Enjoy.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Just starting?
This has been going on for a while. The problem is that this way of entering has always been hush hush. Trust me on this one; it's been going on for a while.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
We came here to have a better life. But I never said anything about stopping being Cuban just because now I live in the USA. I owed nothing to this country, I have worked for everything that I have and I paid my way in, legally. So I will keep flying my Cuban flag, because that is my right. Gotta love America.
Well that's a wrong attitude. Sure fly your flag because MANY nationalities fly their own flags around town, latin or not. But, to say you owe NOTHING to this country? Just the very fact that you can fly your Cuban flag and not have to lose your identity is enough to merit a "thank you." Face it if you were stillin Cuba you would have no central a/c no plethora of tv channels, and your means of transportation would be a stanked up bus!
It's that type of thinking and attitude that give the rest of us cubans, hyphenated or not, a bad reputation.
And bcreass, a hit and run is not a Cuban thing, not do we have a propensity or proclivity to commit this crime. I watch enough news to know this happens all the time.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You have to be kidding. Who are you doing your little interview and data gathering with? One family of Illegal Aliens? You appear quite young so I won't treat you too harsh on your comments. Most studies show that wealthy business owners and relatives of Illegals are for open borders since they are the ones benefiting from it. The average tax payer (read middle to upper middle income bracket) are the ones taking the monetary hit for Illegal Aliens coming here. We are the majority so you need to modify your data points to include the majority.

Anyway, enough from me, you are about to get schooled by some of the "higher socio-economic level" members here. Enjoy.

Sure thing, that's why I'm here. If I wanted everyone to agree with me I would go to a forum where everyone supports immigration. Where I can expect people to give me thumbs up and post Agree 100% and other worthless comments.

I am quite young, and most of he people I have contact with in a daily basis are young college students, graduate students, older people from academia, sciences and technology people in conferences and business people who are interested in our research.

I, when I graduate, aspire to be a wealthy business owner. I have worked for 6 years for a large company and commanded an almost 6 figure salary, that should put me somewhere around middle class, and decided to give it up to go to grad school. And I think, as things are like now, whether we like it or not, large business owners and corporations are the ones that have the greatest influence on the decisions made in this country.

I don't really think that I should just consider the majority by their sheer numbers, I think the majority should be normalized by their influence on decisions.

I state again, the reason that I came to this forum is not to change your minds since they seem to be rather set, but to inform mine. I really like to be informed of both sides before picking mine, and your side is ill represented in pro-immigration forums. So don't be gentle, just shoot away. I do would ask to keep it respectful as I have tried to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration