Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Still, (not to specifically argue with any individual poster), the fact remains that, whether you're 'pro' illegal, or just less 'anti' than some, that illegal immigration can be controlled in only a very FEW ways....take it or leave it, that's the reality. These include:

(1) As my tongue-in-cheek post above alludes, you could make the USA less 'desirable' as a destination (which, of course, would make it less desirable for the people who live here, as well)..

(2) You could make it more difficult to get in...fences, gates, motion-detectors, etc etc etc (which would cause a HUGE uproar). This is being done in a half-hearted way, just enough to cause lots of anger, but probably little real deterrent effect...

(3) You could fine and come down hard on the employers (which would work well, if you had honest, unencumbered politicians....which we don't)..

(4) You could simply give amnesty, and 'start over'....(in other words. LEGALIZE the illegals)...which has been done before, and has seemingly produced far more 'anger' than it has 'gratitude'...and has only exacerbated the problem..

(5).You could simply uproot and deport millions of resident illegals, send them 'packing'....and probably cause an ethnic shooting war in the US, AND possibly a total breakdown of Mexico, as well....accomplishing lots of pain and suffering along with the fact that you're 'upholding the law'.....

(6)...You could simply 'adjust your realities', realize that the notion that the US was a 'special' place was perhaps a bit of an over-reach, and simply get used to the fact that we live in a rough, tough world, and that Americans are destined to live in it just as much as anyone else is....

Frankly, I don't see any other alternatives, nor do I find any of the above particularly attractive. I guess my SERIOUS answer is "I don't know".

Perhaps my original theory is mor correct than I hoped...that ultimately, mankind isn't designed to live for long in a 'nice' society, and that he operates best at a certain level of strife or discomfort..and that the more 'free' a society is, the easier it is for others to come in and make it LESS free.

Perhaps you can't HAVE a free society unless you have some REALLY DRACONIAN LAWS to protect it..(no, that's NOT a joke....it just sounds like one)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Alter the amendment for instant citizenship and allow social services for Americans and only Americans. Bring the troops home and station them on both borders. Allow the police and troops to act as an extension of the border patrol. Step up raids with emphasis on employer sanctions.

At that point you can put in a system allowing workers in as needed along with a tamper proof id and some way to keep track of the people that don't want to leave once their work term is up.

This would be both fair and even for everyone trying to enter either for work or citizenship. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the current system for immigration, maybe for a cheap work force but not for immigration. We as a Nation need to worry less about other Countries and more about ours on basics. We have millions unemployed here, sure it would be nice to foster every poor person on the planet but that cannot happen.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Alter the amendment for instant citizenship and allow social services for Americans and only Americans. Bring the troops home and station them on both borders. Allow the police and troops to act as an extension of the border patrol. Step up raids with emphasis on employer sanctions.

At that point you can put in a system allowing workers in as needed along with a tamper proof id and some way to keep track of the people that don't want to leave once their work term is up.

This would be both fair and even for everyone trying to enter either for work or citizenship. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the current system for immigration, maybe for a cheap work force but not for immigration. We as a Nation need to worry less about other Countries and more about ours.
I'll agree with you almost across the board..but I have to point out, much of what you suggest is already law....we just don't have the political will to enforce it....nor do most of us have the 'stomach' to see millions of people actually loaded on buses and deported...NOR do our politicians have the independence to really 'crack down hard' on employers, (after accepting their political contributions). In fact, I'd even say that if there WAS a new 'bracero' program, and that people agreed to 'work and then leave', we'd STILL be unable to 'kick them out' if they decided to stay.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'll agree with you almost across the board..but I have to point out, much of what you suggest is already law....we just don't have the political will to enforce it....nor do most of us have the 'stomach' to see millions of people actually loaded on buses and deported...NOR do our politicians have the independence to really 'crack down hard' on employers, (after accepting their political contributions). In fact, I'd even say that if there WAS a new 'bracero' program, and that people agreed to 'work and then leave', we'd STILL be unable to 'kick them out' if they decided to stay.
And that is where our Country will continue to slide toward a nation of poverty by allowing every other Countries poor in with the current system.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And that is where our Country will continue to slide toward a nation of poverty by allowing every other Countries poor in with the current system.
That is DEFINITELY a possibility..and unfortunately, when the day comes that we realize we've 'blown it', it will be too late to correct the situation. (could that day be NOW ?)...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
The first thing I would do is to have another Operation Wet****!!! While that was going on I would call our troops back from Germany and Korea and send lots of them to the borders with shoot to kill orders.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM

147 posts, read 212,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boogie Man View Post
Hi, everyone.

I'd like to understand everyone's views on how they would solve the illegal immigration issue whether you are in favor (antialphabet, that1guy, blacknight4, iturbide etc.) or opposed to it (arizonabear, mamalute, jjwebster, antireconquista, jdubsmom, macmeal etc.)

Please, everyone respond and be as precise as possible.

The first thing that I would do is close the border! I mean REALLY close it. Besides that it would be a matter of damage control. Make it a Federal offense to harbor illegals. Do away with 'Sanctuary States'. Cut off ALL Federal, State, or Local government assistance. 'Jackpot' babies would be a thing of the past. The 14th ammendment was created to protect slaves and their children. If you are caught here, you have to go back. We would no longer fund their livelyhoods by paying for their children to be born here. They would NOT be able to open businesses and anyone doing so would have to pay a heafty fine for robbing this country. That's just MY personal opinion.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I would not do door-to-door searches for sure. I would leave them illegal. That was the choice they themselves made in spite of the USA having the most generous legal immigration laws of any nation on earth.

I would go after the employers of illegals -- and hard. Fine them, jail them, confiscate their illegally obtained profits. Make them pay back the taxpayers for the free healthcare, schools and so on used by their illegals.

I would explain to the illlegals that we are a nation of laws, and that breaking the laws does not get them any kind of rewards, illegals will never be moved to the front of the line as they are now demanding. They have the option of going home and as long as they have no criminal record and have some kind of job skills, they have the same opportunity to apply to come legally -- as anyone else.

Leave them illegal, go after the employers, cut off the government handouts to illegals and stop rewarding the practice of giving birth in order to collect welfare and use a baby's birth as a way around the legal process. Deport them as they make themselves known, if they are caught driving on our roads without a license or insurance, then they should certainly be returned home. Without jobs and government handouts, many will self-deport. Deportation doesn't have to be a big deal, it should be done but it doesn't have to be a big search.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No need any longer to be worried about it one way or the other, Obama and his band of goons, which two of them are Nancy and Harry make that three I forgot Teddy Boy, are going to give them all a free ticket...

But I'm anti-illegal....not that it matters any longer.

What I wonder is how on earth Obama can propose such a thing when in states like California, unemployment is approaching 20% and other states like Florida, and parts of Texas are facing terrible unemployment numbers.

It's not just the current 30 or so many illegals, the La Raza crowd is demanding "family reunification" which will allow them to bring in any family member they like. Obviously many will bring in elderly parents, elderly grandparents who are too old to work but who is going to provide the free health care, food and everything else they will need? The siblings of illegals of course are packing their bags to come on over now, but Obama hasn't begun to create the jobs they'll need, and many of these people are quite unskilled and quite impoverished.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boogie Man View Post
Hi, everyone.

I'd like to understand everyone's views on how they would solve the illegal immigration issue whether you are in favor (antialphabet, that1guy, blacknight4, iturbide etc.) or opposed to it (arizonabear, mamalute, jjwebster, antireconquista, jdubsmom, macmeal etc.)

Please, everyone respond and be as precise as possible.
It's simple: Make it a felony to hire an illegal immigrant. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration