Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Passage of the DREAMAct?
Yes, they were brought here are innocent children 37 24.03%
No, they are nothing more than the 2nd generation of illegal alien criminals 117 75.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
The FACT that what was being discussed went over your head is hardly a personal attack. And even it was, it wasn't being "veiled" as I flat out said it went over your head.

And making an irrelevant comment is hardly "calling out".

Let it go.

And to call someone who was brought to this country as a child, and hopes to gain an education a "loser" is arrogant and egotistic, at best.
The child in question; if it had any class (once age 18+) would willingly leave the USA-------------my opinion that said DREAMie is a loser still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM

223 posts, read 300,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The child in question; if it had any class (once age 18+) would willingly leave the USA-------------my opinion that said DREAMie is a loser still stands.
Yes, but what gives your opinion weight?

You have the luxury of at least talking about class.
I think most would think of bettering their own lives rather than worrying about someone like you calling them a "loser" or talking about "class".

I don't think certain people have a right to call someone trying to improve their life a loser. Illegal immigration wrong? Sure. But to call someone brought here as a child, and struggling to do the best in life? Nah.

At least not without saying why that person thinks he is a better person than the one he calls a "loser".

Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Do we? Then how do you feel about how we're importing educated foreigners all the time from Asia(Taiwan, India, Japan) to do high end jobs here?

How do you feel about all the foreign students getting educated here, and then taking that education back home instead of putting their skills to good use here, like the "DREAMIES" want to?
I also oppose the H1-B Visa program, unless there is a bona fide shortage of qualified U.S. employees. The fraud associated with this program is well-documented, and there’s even a video of a law firm instructing an employer on “legal” strategies to avoid hiring U.S. citizens. It’s appalling. I have always stated that our country is being destroyed not only by massive illegal immigration, but also by outsourcing and insourcing. They ALL displace U.S. workers and depress wages; and they are ALL fueled by greed.

There is nothing wrong with foreign students seeking an education in this country; and there is no obligation for them to remain here upon graduation. They are not requesting financial assistance from U.S. taxpayers, and they are required to pay higher foreign student rates. My ex came here on a student visa, with no intentions of making this him home. He was simply seeking a quality education, and also wanted to experience life in the US. What’s wrong with that? Likewise, many of our citizens choose to attend college in foreign countries. I have a friend who attended Oxford, and loved the experience; but, the U.S. is his home.

The DREAMies don’t belong here. They are illegal aliens, and I don’t care who brought them here, or at what age. If they feel as though their lives are in limbo, they need to realize their parents put them in this predicament, not our so-called “broken” immigration laws. Instead of sitting around whining and having a pity party, they need to appreciate the educational opportunities they have been generously afforded courtesy of U.S. taxpayers, and return to their countries of origin. Furthermore, you couldn’t find a more obnoxious group of ingrates. For the umpteenth time, we owe them NOTHING.

BTW, they self-identify as DREAMies and DREAMers, so there is no need for quotation marks.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
Okay just because some people are brought here at a young age does not mean that they are going to be or are criminals!!! they got here because of their parents searching for a better life, i mena im sure ur parents would have taken u out of a country for a better life. but now that they are here, they only know and have grown to only know the "american life". they shouldn't be punished because it was not their choice. i do not speak for the criminals or those with bad backgrounds, but for those looking to succeed in life. so for those misjudging the world, not everyone is a criminal just because they are not citizens. they are just here for a better life.Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/662155-should-dream-act-passed-7.html#ixzz0T6cZzsQO[/url]

Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah8cas View Post
Okay just because some people are brought here at a young age does not mean that they are going to be or are criminals!!! they got here because of their parents searching for a better life, i mena im sure ur parents would have taken u out of a country for a better life. but now that they are here, they only know and have grown to only know the "american life". they shouldn't be punished because it was not their choice. i do not speak for the criminals or those with bad backgrounds, but for those looking to succeed in life. so for those misjudging the world, not everyone is a criminal just because they are not citizens. they are just here for a better life.Read more: Should the Dream Act Be Passed?
My parents DID bring me to the US for a better life... but they did it legally. That's the big difference. If I found out that my parents had brought me here illegally as a child, I would go back to Germany in a heart beat because I don't belong here.

To me, this seems simple. I still have many relatives living in Germany, do these people not have any where they came from?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Okay just because some people are brought here at a young age does not mean that they are going to be or are criminals!!! they got here because of their parents searching for a better life, i mena im sure ur parents would have taken u out of a country for a better life. but now that they are here, they only know and have grown to only know the "american life". they shouldn't be punished because it was not their choice. i do not speak for the criminals or those with bad backgrounds, but for those looking to succeed in life. so for those misjudging the world, not everyone is a criminal just because they are not citizens. they are just here for a better life.Read more: Should the Dream Act Be Passed?
Oh well.

Try what you just described in Mexico-----------your illegal ass would be booted out.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Default please understand

For those who say no...... i understand where you are coming from but please understand me. i'm from England and was unwillingly moved here when i was 12 but since then i have grown custom to the American life, i have many friends and a typical life. however i have limited options for higher learning and all i'm asking for is a chance. because i know i can give something back to this country if i'm just given a shot.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM

335 posts, read 328,935 times
Quote:
Many American lawbreakers violate the law in search of a better life, but that doesn't excuse their lawbreaking. Also, don't try to tell us what our parents would have done. Choosing to violate the law is a personal decision, and not everyone who is dealing with a particular problem makes the same decision.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
This liberal says "F*#K no. DO NOT pass the Dream act unless you plan on giving me free college and everything else!"

Why should I be punished for being a LEGAL citizen!? DAMN IT TO HELL!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Yes. Of course. We should also try to abolish the whole in-state out-state tuition as well... Anything to increase educational attainment is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration