Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The biggest looming shortage is water.

U.S. water supplies drying up - Environment- msnbc.com

Also, unless this country wants to keep burning coal, we are facing a looming power shortage. It takes years to get a nuclear power plant online and this country's commitment to renewable energy sources is weak at best. Plus, coal and oil are finite resources. Where do you think all this extra electricity is going to come from?

Equally important is the money shortage. I don't know if you realize this but many states and our federal government operate in a deficit. That money will have to be paid back eventually. Who do you think is going to pay it? Illegals flipping burgers and mopping floors? No, all they are going to do is make it worse by birthing more anchor babies and forcing us to pay to educate them and to provide them with free healthcare while the rest of us pay and pay and pay and pay.

You fail to see? Yeah. You do.
Where are the Illegal Doctors or Engineers? That is the people we need, what we don't need is someone undercutting labor markets by working for cash under the table then taking social services not meant for them.

It's one thing to come here, work and then go home, it's a complete other when they plan on living here permanently on tax payer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
So you agree that taking a picture of a building that provides services to immigrants is not in any way representative of the general population of a town. Correct?

No. I agree a picture of 800+ Guatemalans standing in line outside a building is representative of the general population of the town.

Do you agree that taking a picture of buildings after hours in a rural town is not in any way representative of the general economic health of a town?

With the failing economy, the make up of the general population is changing back to what is was prior to the influx of illegal/legal immigrants. For this particular town the exodus it is now seeing is not having a negative economic impact because 1, the entire town is not dependent on illegal hiring practices of Tyson and 2, the majority of money earned by the Guatemalans is sent back to their homeland, thus little loss of sales tax $, since the majority rent multiple families to a home there is no loss in property taxes yet a decrease in public services.

I believe the economic backlash in Postville is a direct result of shady hiring practices. If the company had not illegally hired illegal in the first place .......

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

No. I agree a picture of 800+ Guatemalans standing in line outside a building is representative of the general population of the town.

Do you agree that taking a picture of buildings after hours in a rural town is not in any way representative of the general economic health of a town?

With the failing economy, the make up of the general population is changing back to what is was prior to the influx of illegal/legal immigrants. For this particular town the exodus it is now seeing is not having a negative economic impact because 1, the entire town is not dependent on illegal hiring practices of Tyson and 2, the majority of money earned by the Guatemalans is sent back to their homeland, thus little loss of sales tax $, since the majority rent multiple families to a home there is no loss in property taxes yet a decrease in public services.

I believe the economic backlash in Postville is a direct result of shady hiring practices. If the company had not illegally hired illegal in the first place .......
Excellent points.... I agree with you completely but would add. The economic impact to the town as you stated was a result of Tysons shady hireing practices. Compounded by a towns knowledge of such and turning a blind eye to it for whatever reason. In short the town shot themselves in the foot by being a willing facilitator.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
You are telling me... a city that profited from illegal activity is now facing its punishment and you feel sad? Wow... can I rob a bank for a million dollars and let me go because jail time would make others feel sorry for me?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If noone is hiring them how are they making money to feed their family? I'd say it has everything to do with social services. Here in CA we are in a severe water shortage. If we did like Ike about 5 million people would go home and we would have plenty of water.
I live in California so I know what you are talking about. Droughts in California are not new, we have a history of them since I was a child and I can remember. In the 80's we were not even allowed to water our front yards.

Water shortage is an issue in many parts of the world, not just the US and the US is not as bad as some African countries.

Now its the illegals fault the US's suffering from water shortage?

Quote:
Water for life
Even though 70 % of the earth's surface is covered by water, only a fraction of it is fresh water. Of this fraction, more than 90 % is located in Antarctica making the allocation of water critical. Scarcity of drinking water is thus a substantial problem for thousands of human beings each and every day.
Water shortage is an especially serious matter in certain regions of the world.
From seawater to drinking water: Seawater desalination alleviates water shortage in Algeria (http://www.waterworld.com/index/display/article-display.articles.waterworld.drinking-water.treatment.desalination.from-seawater_to_drinking.QP129867.dcmp=rss.page=1 - broken link)

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

First of all, I saw the picture and I did not see 800+ immigrants. Can you please post the newspaper article so I can believe you, please. Thanks

Also, you are on a complete different forum now. When someone is seeking dual citizenship in this country, it means that they are perfectly legal and want to re-establish citizenship in their home country. That is dual citizenship.

If they were in line to establish legal status in this country, I would believe they are illegal, which according to your first post, it is not. Come again.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You are telling me... a city that profited from illegal activity is now facing its punishment and you feel sad? Wow... can I rob a bank for a million dollars and let me go because jail time would make others feel sorry for me?
Bad comparison. The illegal immigrants did not rob anyone. They worked for their living and as a matter of fact, they were exploited.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, as I've stated before, it's just like towns during the gold rush. They will relocate and move forward. I don't believe that an illegal town is needed in the US at all.

I've seen many ghost towns in the mt areas, it's part of the transformation. If we let one survive it will invite more.
1ATP, can you please post an article on how immigration was affected during the gold rush era? Thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Here are some stats from the raid...

It cost 5.2 million to arrest 389 people, in just one plant, one town, in the US.

900 ICE agents were used for this one operation alone.

Realistically looking at it, we cannot afford to have one of these in each town, for every business that hires illegals....not doable.

http://web.mac.com/luisargueta/iWeb/...aid/About.html

Last edited by zacatecana; 08-12-2009 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Here are some stats from the raid...

It cost 5.2 million to arrest 389 people, in just one plant, one town, in the US.

900 ICE agents were used for this one operation alone.

Realistically looking at it, we cannot afford to have one of these in each town, for every business that hires illegals....not doable.

About
You do not need to do it in every town or at every business. Do them randomly and without warning and some employers will think twice about their hiring practices. Some illegals will self-deport. Every little bit helps. Illegal criminals have no right to be here and need to go home immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration