Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Bookworm Room » Creating sympathy for illegal immigrants amongst middle schoolers

OH THE EVIL AMERICANS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
It's "La Misma Luna." Not "La Misma La Luna." The parent should bone up on his/her Spanish before writing an article about it.

It's a good movie by the way, and the little boy portrayed in the movie is far from "pathetic" in my opinion. The kid traveled thousands of miles to find his mother, give him a break!

My reaction to this is yeah, there are many other far less controversial Spanish films that could have been shown in the class. However, at the same time I'm thinking to myself THANK GOD the teacher didn't show the movie "La Mala Educación."

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Not getting the connection here. What do gay priests have to do with the plight of Illegal Aliens and the propaganda being spread in certain schools?

Gay Priests... != illegal immigration

Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,703 times
Pro-Illegal propaganda has NO place in Taxpayer funded American public schools..

Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It's "La Misma Luna." Not "La Misma La Luna." The parent should bone up on his/her Spanish before writing an article about it.

It's a good movie by the way, and the little boy portrayed in the movie is far from "pathetic" in my opinion. The kid traveled thousands of miles to find his mother, give him a break!

My reaction to this is yeah, there are many other far less controversial Spanish films that could have been shown in the class. However, at the same time I'm thinking to myself THANK GOD the teacher didn't show the movie "La Mala Educación."
The boy actually might not be - but the mother that put him through all that, abandoned him, sure is.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not getting the connection here. What do gay priests have to do with the plight of Illegal Aliens and the propaganda being spread in certain schools?

Gay Priests... != illegal immigration
If you ever saw the movie you'd know what I mean, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The boy actually might not be - but the mother that put him through all that, abandoned him, sure is.
Why, because she was working in Los Angeles so she could send money back home and put food on her son's table and put him through school? How is that pathetic?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
The question remains. What was the purpose of showing the film to our students? Certainly not to teach that it is better to obey laws than to disregard them.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
If you ever saw the movie you'd know what I mean, trust me.

Why, because she was working in Los Angeles so she could send money back home and put food on her son's table and put him through school? How is that pathetic?
It is pathetic to break the law to do that. To me being with your child and raising him/her and nurturing them is a lot more important than material things and it is BS that most of these illegals or their families were starving in their homelands.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is pathetic to break the law to do that. To me being with your child and raising him/her and nurturing them is a lot more important than material things and it is BS that most of these illegals or their families were starving in their homelands.
In alot of the small towns in Mexico it is pretty common. It obviously isn't an easy decision but alot of people decide to take a chance to make better money here with the possibility of being able to provide their children with a better life. Of course there are ways to make ends meet but alot of times you see a mother putting her 5 year old son or daughter to work selling gum or trinkets in the street instead of going to school because it's the only way they can make ends meet...I think given a choice between doing something like that it makes more sense to go the immigration route.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
In alot of the small towns in Mexico it is pretty common. It obviously isn't an easy decision but alot of people decide to take a chance to make better money here with the possibility of being able to provide their children with a better life. Of course there are ways to make ends meet but alot of times you see a mother putting her 5 year old son or daughter to work selling gum or trinkets in the street instead of going to school because it's the only way they can make ends meet...I think given a choice between doing something like that it makes more sense to go the illegal immigration route.
Here I helped you out . See the bold print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration