Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Reread the post. Benicar said 'some' are violent criminals. However, a person willing to break one law, is more likely to break others.
That's not true at all. People speed all the time on the freeway, that doesn't mean that they are more likely to commit other crimes. Slippery slope arguments aren't good arguments.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The laws are fine. They simply need to be enforced. Included in this group to be “left alone” are countless violent criminals and other miscreants. How should they be dealt with?
The laws, obviously, aren't fine. It doesn't reflect the true market of employees and employers (which is the crux of the debate).

Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's not true at all. People speed all the time on the freeway, that doesn't mean that they are more likely to commit other crimes. Slippery slope arguments aren't good arguments.
True. However, people willing to commit ID theft and fraud, will also be more inclined to commit other crimes. It’s indicative of a lack of morals. Speeding is not a gateway to serious crimes. It is also not a felony, unless one is evading the police.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
True. However, people willing to commit ID theft and fraud, will also be more inclined to commit other crimes. It’s indicative of a lack of morals. Speeding is not a gateway to serious crimes. It is also not a felony, unless one is evading the police.
No they aren't more likely. There is no such thing as "gateway crimes". Just like there is no such thing as a "gateway drug".

Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The laws, obviously, aren't fine. It doesn't reflect the true market of employees and employers (which is the crux of the debate).
The only thing it doesn’t reflect is the greed of corporations who prefer cheap illegal labor. Our laws should not be designed to serve the needs of unscrupulous employers, corrupt third-world countries, or their fleeing underclass. If welcoming more legal immigrants than all other countries combined is not enough, then that’s too bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No they aren't more likely. There is no such thing as "gateway crimes". Just like there is no such thing as a "gateway drug".
Many criminologists and law enforcement agents would beg to differ. There is a high correlation between juvenile delinquency and adult criminality. I didn’t mention gateway drugs, so I won’t elaborate.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The only thing it doesn’t reflect is the greed of corporations who prefer cheap illegal labor. Our laws should not be designed to serve the needs of unscrupulous employers, corrupt third-world countries, or their fleeing underclass. If welcoming more legal immigrants than all other countries combined is not enough, then that’s too bad.

Wow, you just managed to not take into consideration the second largest variable...congrats!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Again please read above post...But I will say this- I prefaced my opinion with "Some People".

I dont know if "Some People" are law bididng Americans. If you are saying you are, I will accept that.

Since I dont live with Haters, I cant really speak on how "Law Abiding" they are. And frankly, wether Haters can be law biding citizen wasnt my point.
Who here on this Forum is using the word 'hate' to describe their feelings towards illegal aliens?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Wow, you just managed to not take into consideration the second largest variable...congrats!
Variable smariable, it’s all irrelevant. We have laws, and they need to be enforced. We do not need to change our laws to accommodate criminals.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Many criminologists and law enforcement agents would beg to differ. There is a high correlation between juvenile delinquency and adult criminality. I didn’t mention gateway drugs, so I won’t elaborate.
No, since you can go as far back as mother's milk. There is no such thing as gateway anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration