Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A question for those that oppose the new law-what would you suggest to get a handle on the criminal alien problem? Counting on the feds isn't working, they lack the willingness to handle their responsibility. Obviously the state needs to do something-what do you suggest?
Repeal NAFTA. This has been beaten to death and everyone who fully understands the migration situation and opposes the precense of illegals in this country agrees they want NAFTA repealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Repeal NAFTA. This has been beaten to death and everyone who fully understands the migration situation and opposes the precense of illegals in this country agrees they want NAFTA repealed.
NAFTA doesn't have anything to do with illegal immigration. It deals with products coming from Mexico. If anything, by helping the business climate in Mexico (at the cost of US producers) it helps the economic situation of workers in Mex. Which in turn reduces the incentive to violate US immigration law.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Illegal immigrants are here primarily for economic reasons ..... because they can make a whole lot more money than they can in their home countries. Therefore, the way you get a handle on it is to hit those who employ illegal aliens so hard that they will never want to do it again.

With the recession we saw how many illegals went home because they had no work. If the jobs dry up then the illegals will go home (or to California ). It really is as simple as that.

Stopping people on the street and asking for papers is not an effective way to deal with the problem. It might make people feel better but, while the jobs are still there, the illegals will still take their chances.
I agree with you with regard to going after companies that employ illegals.

But employement isn't the economic motivator-so are government benefits, education, welfare, health care, etc. I would support e-verify or some other method to ensure that only those in the country legally are receiving such taxpayer funded benefits. Would you support this? And criminalize actions that would circumvent this?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
I find it pretty sad and insane that the Pres/A.G/Homeland security sec....are taking the side of "illegals" over Americans citizens.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
NAFTA doesn't have anything to do with illegal immigration. It deals with products coming from Mexico. If anything, by helping the business climate in Mexico (at the cost of US producers) it helps the economic situation of workers in Mex. Which in turn reduces the incentive to violate US immigration law.
Wrong wrong wrong. The bill itself didn't mention immigration but illegal immigration has been the ultimate outcome. It hurt the business in Mexico because it eliminated tariffs and Mexican industries by making the exports the same value to that of American and Canadian. Naturally jobs were lost in mass, ergo why illegal immigrants come to America.

I posted a NY Times article the other day that roughly estimated as many as 500,000 illegal immigrants a year would be reduced upon repealing NAFTA, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than some ridiculous unconstitutional law.

Last edited by twista6002; 04-28-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am also an Arizona resident and voter and I also do not support this bill for the reasons that azriverfan outlined. In addition, this bill does not really get at the economic causes of illegal immigration. If you cut off the ability to work then you will get rid of illegals very fast.

Illegal immigration is bad for Americans, bad for the economy, bad for society and, importantly, it is bad for the illegals themselves.
Arizona passed an employer sanctions law in 2007. Guess what happened? Pro-illegals and their supporters took to the streets screaming "racist!" Guess what else happened? The law was challenged in court by business groups screaming "unconstitutional." (The court upheld the law.)

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I find it pretty sad and insane that the Pres/A.G/Homeland security sec....are taking the side of "illegals" over Americans citizens.
It's not the side of the illegals. It's the side of the Constitution. I'm going to bring this up everytime a rightwinger whines about how if anything Obama and the Dems are doing is unconstitutional.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
I agree with you with regard to going after companies that employ illegals.

But employement isn't the economic motivator-so are government benefits, education, welfare, health care, etc. I would support e-verify or some other method to ensure that only those in the country legally are receiving such taxpayer funded benefits. Would you support this? And criminalize actions that would circumvent this?
E-verify is the simple effective solution. Unless one is opposed to any immigration restrictions, I would think we could all agree that mandating its use is the answer.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
They have made a political calculation that the intensity/anger/rage from hispanics and the Left will OUTWEIGH the anger/enthusisam of Indies/Conservatives and Moderate Dems who absolutely DO NOT want to see all these illegals given amnesty.

Dirty Harry believes he will get a more enthusiastic hispanic vote in the fall, never mind that 70% of Arizonans approve of the legislation.

I think they have miscalculated.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
...It hurt the business in Mexico because it eliminated tariffs and Mexican industries by making the exports the same value to that of American and Canadian. Naturally jobs were lost in mass, ergo why illegal immigrants come to America...
What you posted doesn't make sense to me. By eliminating tarrifs on products imported to the US from Mexico, we made Mex made products even cheaper and more favorible in the US (economically). This would in turn increase production in Mexico. How did NAFTA drive people from Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration