U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:18 PM
 
6,455 posts, read 9,504,080 times
Reputation: 10764

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This threat is as asinine as the boycott. Sounds like pure hot air.
It's not a threat. It's an offer to LA to renegotiate their contracts to let them out of them.

 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
425 posts, read 1,677,486 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
SO the other states do not agree with Calif. Or have the same laws as them So they want to boycott AZ.
Because this state is standing up and saying
GET THIS CALIF> ILLEGALS HAVE TO STOP OWNINGTHE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND COUNTRY. TAKINGTAKING AND TAKING. GET THIS ILLEGALS
YES OUR COUNTRY WAS BUILT ON DIFFERENT PEOPLE. BUT THEYCAME HERE LEGALLY.
LEARNED ENGLISH SPEAKS ENGLISH IN PUBLIC.
DID NOT FORCE OUR CHILDREN TO LEARN THEIR LANGUAGE TO HAVE THEIR COUNTRIES LANGUAGE WRITEN ON OUR PRODUCTS. GOT FREE HEALTH CARE COME HERE ILLEGALLY HAVE CHILDREN WHO ARE NOW USA CITIZEN BY BIRTH KNOWING FULL WELL THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE A HISSY FIT WE FORCE THEM TO GO BACK BUT THE PARENTS ARE THE ONES WHO IS ABUSING THEIR CHILD /REN MENTALLY AND EMOTIONAL. YOU COME HERE STILL LIVING THE WAY YOUR COUNTRY YOU JUST LEFT WAS SO BAD. BUT YOU FORCE YOUR WAYS ON US, THEY ARE RUDE AND DO NOT GIVE A **** ABOUT AMERICA ONLY HAVING BABIES AND TAKING OVER THE COUNTRY FOR MEXCIO
CALIF. PUTS DOWN ANYONE ANY STATE WHO DOES NOT AGREE WITH THEM OR KISSES THEIR ASS. WHY DONT WE BOYCOTT CALIF.
HOLLYWOOD JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. THERE NOTHING WRONG WITH COMING HERE LEGALLY NO MATTER WHERE YOU COME FROM OUR COUNTRY IS HAVING JOBLOSS PEOPLE LOSING THERE HOMES. DID YOU SEE OR HEAR IF HOLLWOOD HELPED THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHO JUST HAD A FLOOD OR HURRICANS OR THE COAL MINERS IN WVA NO JUST ALAN JACKSON HELPED THE WVA COAL MINERS. OUR COUNTRY AND WESERN SINGER HAVE MORE CLASS THEN THOSE IN HOLLWOOD . THEY DID NOT PUT ANYONE DOWN OR MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT ANYONEIN THE WHITE HOUSE. BUT HOLLYWOOD WHEN THEY ARE HAVING SOME KIND OF AWARD TELVISED THEY CAN NOT WAIT TO SAY SOMETHING BAD. HOW WOULD THEY LIKE IF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE JUST SAID ********* WE ARE BOYCOTTING YOU SINCE YOU DO MAKE A LIVING OFF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE MONEY.BUT SINCE HOLLYWOOD ONLY CARES ABOUT HOLLYWOOD NEVER HAPPEN ALL THIS BOYCOTTING IS GETTING READY FOR A GOOD MOVIE SCRIP
You have a lot of nerve complaining about how illegal immigrants don't speak English when you hardly seem able to construct a proper, legible sentence in the language you claim everyone should have to speak in the United States. Aside from being atrociously constructed and poorly spelled, your tirade is full of hyperbole.

What you fail to recognize is that illegal immigrants actually contribute quite a bit to our economy. They do backbreaking work for very low (below minimum wage) pay. If you hate illegal immigration so much then you need to stop going to (most) fast food restaurants, be careful of the produce you buy, the wine you drink, etc.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
Reputation: 90140
This whole boycott thing is very stupid, when the LA city council voted for it, or if Arizona-based businesses think they can solve problems by boycotting businesses that are based in the Los Angeles area. The only people that are going to get affected are average working class individuals in Arizona and Los Angeles.

The problem is not with American citizens, but the LA City Council, who approved the boycott, and probably without even reading Arizona's new and tougher immigration laws, like the worthless Attorney General in Washington, DC, who made conclusions about the laws without even reading them.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
This whole boycott thing is very stupid, when the LA city council voted for it, or if Arizona-based businesses think they can solve problems by boycotting businesses that are based in the Los Angeles area. The only people that are going to get affected are average working class individuals in Arizona and Los Angeles.

The problem is not with American citizens
, but the LA City Council, who approved the boycott, and probably without even reading Arizona's new and tougher immigration laws, like the worthless Attorney General in Washington, DC, who made conclusions about the laws without even reading them.
"The problem is not with American citizens" Sorry but that is a total copout. So you are suggesting that the citizens of Seattle, Boston, Austin, Milwaukee, etc are not "American" citizens? How do you explain the calls for boycotts in light of the fact that we have a representational government? Were the citizens urging the Los Angeles city council to boycott Arizona not Americans?

It would seem to me that the people of Arizona are becoming more "isolated" as the mayor of Los Angeles stated today.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
 
152 posts, read 280,717 times
Reputation: 40
"What you fail to recognize is that illegal immigrants actually contribute quite a bit to our economy. They do backbreaking work for very low (below minimum wage) pay. If you hate illegal immigration so much then you need to stop going to (most) fast food restaurants, be careful of the produce you buy, the wine you drink, etc." Unfortunately the negatives are exponentially greater then the positives, the costs of providing Spanish speaking classes teachers remedial tutoring, healthcare , lunches, prison care, and on and on and on. That is why Arizona and many others are trying to do something about it, it is called a immigration problem for a reason it is a problem, not a contribution to our economy. Yes we get some cheep labor out of the deal, but at a much greater expense then the low wages that benefit the consumer and business owners.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
 
220 posts, read 329,226 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
No, the Californians would rage at the LA mayor. AZ can't cut off power. AZ offered to renegotiate the contracts to let LA out of them. In other words, if LA wants to boycott AZ, then put their money where there mouths are and boycott purchasing any electricity. LA won't do it.
The mayor of LA would be forgotten. Californians would rage at Arizona.

California is not going to renegotiate its ownership interest in the power plants.

So.... send the electricity, send the water and don't visit California.

You will not be missed.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Repost!

In any case, before people fly off the handle and start doing things they will later regret, here are the numbers people need to consider:

BEA : Gross Domestic Product by State

Arizona GSP: $247,028,000,000 (population 6,595,778)
California GSP: $1,846,757,000,000 (population 36,961,664)

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0909.pdf
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA (incl. LA, Riverside, and Oxnard MSAs)
2008 Population: 17,786,419 (48.3% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $866,095,000,000 (46.8% of California's GSP)

San Jose-San Francisco- Oakland, CA CSA (incl. San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa, Vallejo, Santa Cruz, and Napa MSAs)
2008 Population: 7,354,555 (20% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $508,418,000,000 (27.5% of California's GSP)

San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA
2008 Population: 3,001,072 (8.1% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $169,325,000 (9.1% of California's GSP)

Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Yuba City, CA-NV CSA (incl. Sacramento and Yuba City MSAs)
2008 Population (in CA): 2,376,145 (6.4% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $98,000,000 (5.3% of California's GSP)

The Bay Area itself has 2 times the output than the WHOLE STATE of Arizona, despite having less than a million more people than AZ. San Diego has 68% of the economy of Arizona DESPITE being less than half of the whole state's size in terms of population.

Now, onto the water business:
Sharing Colorado River Water: History, Public Policy and the Colorado River Compact (http://ag.arizona.edu/azwater/arroyo/101comm.html - broken link)

By Federal Law, California is allowed 50% of the water in the Colorado River, while Arizona gets 46% of it, and Nevada can get 4%.
Arizona v. California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FindLaw | Cases and Codes
Straight from the Supreme Court.

Arizona can't cut off anything to California, but it DOES have the power to decrease the amount of water that goes to California from its share of the Colorado River. That's fine, considering that has happened for years because of the rapid growth of Arizona. For years, Arizona sold a lot of its water to California because the population in AZ simply didn't NEED so much water because of its small size. However, in the last 10-15 years, there has been less of a supply coming straight from AZ because they have a bigger population now. This was probably the worst time for them to make such a threat.

Anyways, an increasing share of the water coming to SoCal is coming from Northern California. Unless Arizona wants to claim 100% of the Colorado River, nothing will probably change. Empty threats all around
Owned much?
 
Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If this does happen (which i'm sure it won't) Californians will unite with rage form the Brownouts this will cause and channel there anger at Arizona. This is borderline stupid and will lead to tensions. Can you imagine if someone dies because of this , an accident caused by darken intersection or Train derailment? Doesn't Arizona also sell power to Mexico?
Ha! Civil war over AZ. law
 
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,800,792 times
Reputation: 1216
I don't find this to be funny or hilarious. I don't find the provocation of LA promoting boycott's of AZ to be constitutional, politically correct, and nor the hell do I endorse some jack$%@% congressman/senator/idiot of the state pulling shots over his personal beliefs.

What I find idiotic in all of this is the fact that california has the same friggin laws on its books and the federal law as it pertains to citizenship is the same friggin thing. Yet, these idiot liberal jobless fools in CA want to make it a point to stand on some logically false high horse attempting to create the most childish of appeal to emotion arguments as to why its wrong to enforce federal and state laws ? Where's my ability to get these buffoons out of office ? Like.... Immediately ... F***
It's pure freakin idiocy ...


You're here illegally. You're children are. You should be deported.. end of story. If you want to come here.. there is a legal and lawful process. There is no secondary or logical argument to that nor the laws that were created to ensure people come here via legal immigration. As for appeal to emotion arguments.... Yes, there are poor people in the world all over the place. If you want to make an argument for one group.. make it for all .. lets build a bridge to haiti .. a bridge to every poor nation of the world... put a high speed train on it .. and let people all over the world have illegal access to teh U.S... Make it as easy as the mexicans ... when shtf then tell me about your bleeding heart. We have laws and a process for a reason. It allows for controlled and measurable population growth. There is not one logical argument as to why you should endorse/support/have pity for those who come here illegally.

It's truely sad as a young adult in my early 20's that I have to sit around watching a bunch of grown a$$ adults act like morons throwing around senseless arguments and appeal to emotion idiocy which is in no way in the best interest of this country in order to convince sheep to make bad decisions which are bad for this country. Why do it then? For votes and political interest .. And before you call me some racist white republican rich tea bagger. Let me state that I am an African American male who busted his arse for everything he has. I pay taxes with pride. I love my country and I understand its laws.


1) California Education Code prohibits illegals in public colleges: "66010.8. (a) No public institution of postsecondary education shall admit, enroll, or permit the attendance of any person who is not a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a
permanent resident in the United States, or a person who is otherwise authorized under federal law to be present in the United States."
Article 2. Comprehensive Mission Statement - Sections 66010.1-66010.8 - California Education Code - California Code :: Justia

2) CA Cops Must Check Citizenship: Penal Code: 834b(1): "(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status."
CHAPTER 5. ARREST, BY WHOM AND HOW MADE - Sections 833-851.90 - California Penal Code - California Code :: Justia
 
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I don't find this to be funny or hilarious. I don't find the provocation of LA promoting boycott's of AZ to be constitutional, politically correct, and nor the hell do I endorse some jack$%@% congressman/senator/idiot of the state pulling shots over his personal beliefs.

What I find idiotic in all of this is the fact that california has the same friggin laws on its books and the federal law as it pertains to citizenship is the same friggin thing. Yet, these idiot liberal jobless fools in CA want to make it a point to stand on some logically false high horse attempting to create the most childish of appeal to emotion arguments as to why its wrong to enforce federal and state laws ? Where's my ability to get these buffoons out of office ? Like.... Immediately ... F***
It's pure freakin idiocy ...


You're here illegally. You're children are. You should be deported.. end of story. If you want to come here.. there is a legal and lawful process. There is no secondary or logical argument to that nor the laws that were created to ensure people come here via legal immigration. As for appeal to emotion arguments.... Yes, there are poor people in the world all over the place. If you want to make an argument for one group.. make it for all .. lets build a bridge to haiti .. a bridge to every poor nation of the world... put a high speed train on it .. and let people all over the world have illegal access to teh U.S... Make it as easy as the mexicans ... when shtf then tell me about your bleeding heart. We have laws and a process for a reason. It allows for controlled and measurable population growth. There is not one logical argument as to why you should endorse/support/have pity for those who come here illegally.

It's truely sad as a young adult in my early 20's that I have to sit around watching a bunch of grown a$$ adults act like morons throwing around senseless arguments and appeal to emotion idiocy which is in no way in the best interest of this country in order to convince sheep to make bad decisions which are bad for this country. Why do it then? For votes and political interest .. And before you call me some racist white republican rich tea bagger. Let me state that I am an African American male who busted his arse for everything he has. I pay taxes with pride. I love my country and I understand its laws.


1) California Education Code prohibits illegals in public colleges: "66010.8. (a) No public institution of postsecondary education shall admit, enroll, or permit the attendance of any person who is not a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a
permanent resident in the United States, or a person who is otherwise authorized under federal law to be present in the United States."
Article 2. Comprehensive Mission Statement - Sections 66010.1-66010.8 - California Education Code - California Code :: Justia

2) CA Cops Must Check Citizenship: Penal Code: 834b(1): "(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status."
CHAPTER 5. ARREST, BY WHOM AND HOW MADE - Sections 833-851.90 - California Penal Code - California Code :: Justia
Strictly speaking for myself, there's no argument that the border needs to be closed as much as it is possible for security and population reasons. The issue at hand is the Arizona law & how it can be abused. It seems quite clear that Latinos [of which I am one] are offended and very uncomfortable with the current legislation. Arizona has the option to rewrite it's law or face judicial scrutiny [there are already many legal challenges to the law]. There's a better way of dealing with immigrants but it must start at the border. The boycotts are merely a way to express dissatisfaction with Arizona [similar to the Martin Luther King's birthday issue resulting in Arizona losing the Super Bowl]. Unfortunately, Arizona has a bit of a reputation of acting first and thinking later. It has cost them respect and revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top