Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zete374 View Post
Should Arizona do the same thing because of the boycott initiated by California?

Since California initiated the boycott then shouldn't the "victims" sue California?
Los Angeles =/= California. One is a city, the other is a state. Los Angeles is boycotting Arizona, not California. The Governor, who has publicly stated that he doesn't support SB1070, also stated that he doesn't support a boycott of Arizona on behalf of the state of California.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM

220 posts, read 411,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Wow! I never had a negative opinion of Californian's before, and now I do! Thank you goodneighbor1234 (good neighbor NOT!) for opening my eyes. Enjoy your population boom as AZ unloads illegals to your cesspool of a state. No wonder Californians are so cranky lately.

Yeah right, you never had a negative opinion of California, but you call it a cesspool. Like I said, people like you should stay in Arizona. If you hate California that much don't visit.

You will not be missed.

Plenty of people from Arizona don't have the same opinion as you... and they will vacation in California. I'm already seeing lots of Arizona license plates.

I don't have a bad opinion of Arizona or most of the people that live there. I have family there,and I used to live in Tucson. Arizona is a beautiful State. From Showlow to Nogales.... I have good memories of Arizona.

It's politicians like Russell Pearce that have made your State laws target Hispanic Americans. I'm sure you are proud.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
Yeah right, you never had a negative opinion of California, but you call it a cesspool. Like I said, people like you should stay in Arizona. If you hate California that much don't visit.

You will not be missed.

Plenty of people from Arizona don't have the same opinion as you... and they will vacation in California. I'm already seeing lots of Arizona license plates.

I don't have a bad opinion of Arizona or most of the people that live there. I have family there,and I used to live in Tucson. Arizona is a beautiful State. From Showlow to Nogales.... I have good memories of Arizona.

It's politicians like Russell Pearce that have made your State laws target Hispanic Americans. I'm sure you are proud.
Go ahead and doubt me. I have never been to CA and I only know 2 people that moved from CA to AZ, clearly, that wasn't enough to form an opinion. However, reading posts from Californians such as yourself on different message boards regarding this issue I have formed a negative opinion of Californians, not all Californians of course. I never had any interest to visit CA and now I doubt that I ever will, considering the nasty attitudes some of you display.

I am a descendant of legal immigrants and this issue strikes very close to my heart and I do not support illegal immigration from anywhere. I moved to AZ 4 years ago and I love it dearly and yes I am proud that our government is working hard to protect the legal citizens of AZ, Hispanic Americans included. It's long overdue.

A cesspool is a place of moral filth and immorality and parts of CA fit that definition very well considering they encourage illegal immigration and provide sanctuary to criminals among other things. The hate you harbor in your heart for law abiding citizens of AZ will not do you any good. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by xwideopenskyx; 05-22-2010 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Bring it on, pal. And is the "silent majority" backlash going to also effect?:

West Hollywood
San Diego, CA
Boulder, CO
Sacramento, CA
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Oakland, CA-
Boston
El Paso, TX
St. Paul, MN

How about the cities in Arizona who are about to take legal action against their own state?:

"Additionally, the local leadership of Tucson, Flagstaff, San Luis and Bisbee are now in the process of taking legal action against their own state government".
Cities boycotting Arizona turned their backs on Americans long ago
Clearly, those officials in AZ opposing SB1070 have pretty much written their pink slips come election time. What LA city council is proposing against AZ is unconstitutional and they will have legal ramifications to deal with as a result.

Why don't you get busy in boycotting California's city of Costa Mesa.....LOL
Pretty soon you will be too exhausted boycotting every city or state that adopts similar laws to SB1070.........LOL

Last edited by xwideopenskyx; 05-22-2010 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 AM

425 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Clearly, those officials in AZ opposing SB1070 have pretty much written their pink slips come election time. What LA city council is proposing against AZ is unconstitutional and they will have legal ramifications to deal with as a result.

Pretty soon you will be too exhausted boycotting every city or state that adopts similar laws to SB1070.........LOL
Not necessarily. Not saying you are wrong, but you aren't exactly right, either. The case of these boycotts are different than Dean Milk Co. v. City of Madison and Hughes v. Alexandria Scrap Corp. and would probably have to be decided in court on its/their own.

Don't forget that SB1070 is Constitutionally questionable, too.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Not necessarily. Not saying you are wrong, but you aren't exactly right, either. The case of these boycotts are different than Dean Milk Co. v. City of Madison and Hughes v. Alexandria Scrap Corp. and would probably have to be decided in court on its/their own.

Don't forget that SB1070 is Constitutionally questionable, too.
SB1070 mirrors the federal immigration law.

The following is a quote from:
http://dakotabeacon.com/entry/bruce_...ional_boycott/

"Those cities threatening to “boycott” Arizona, however, are not threatening a boycott at all. Instead, as governments under our Constitution, these leftist city councils are creating an embargo. This is wrong and it is unconstitutional. Under our federal system, state governments and their political subdivisions may not impose undue burdens on interstate commerce. Moreover, states and cities have no right to punish private citizens in other states for the actions of the state governments. Citizens have the right, within our federal system, to be treated equally and fairly.
Arizona, for example, could not pass a law preventing any business with San Francisco until that city modified its ordinances on sexual relations or gun control. It would not matter if an overwhelming majority of Arizonans thought this embargo was good. Political majorities and politicians backed by those majorities may not discriminate against citizens or states which displease them."

Last edited by xwideopenskyx; 05-22-2010 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: added quote

Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
What isn't conducive is the complete lack of knowledge concerning issues like this. Los Angeles owns part of the plants that provide electricity from Arizona. There's nothing to negotiate other than the OWNERSHIP interest Los Angeles has in the plants.

Gary Pierce is just another Teabag controlled Arizona politician. Arizona seems to have many of these blowhards in control of the State.

So get the story straight. This is from an Arizona newspaper.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...cc4c03286.html

Only thing is, Pierce admitted that if push came to shove, there's nothing or his colleagues on the commission can legally do about it. Interstate power sales are federally regulated.

Austin Beutner, general manager of the L.A. Department of Water and Power, said his city gets between 20 and 25 percent of its daily power from Arizona, some from the city's 5.7 percent ownership of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and the balance from its 21.2 percent share of the coal-fired Navajo Generating Station.

"Nothing in the city's (boycott) resolution is inconsistent with our continuing to receive power from those LADWP-owned assets,'' he said.

Pierce told Capitol Media Services that while Villaraigosa might have interpreted the letter as a threat, the commission is powerless either to force Los Angeles to divest its share of Palo Verde or stop Arizona utilities from selling power into California. But he said a message still needed to be sent.
Well, duh. This isn't anything I didn't already know. Of course AZ can't cut off the power, that's why he challenged LA to renegotiate purchasing power from AZ. AZ didn't say anything about renegotiating ownership. What's the problem? Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 AM

206 posts, read 416,695 times
Quote:

Why is that whenever the democrats do anything, it is deemed to be unconstitutional?? Wether that be healthcare or a boycott-anything is unconstitutional. Can't you find another word for it.

Now there is a good chance your law is unconstitutional. I am not a fan of illegal immigration. I am less of a fan of a police state. I as a US citizen can be arrested for no reason and thrown in jail just because some police in some remote corner of AZ thinks that I am not a citizen. Yeah you have language about reasonable suspicion, but that is determined by the police on the ground and can encompass anything. One congressman said you can determine if someone is illegal by their shoes and clothes. So please I have no desire to live in a police state and carry all sorts of identification around and be subjected to all sorts of questioning by police under the threat of being thrown in jail. I thought communism is almost dead. I am sorry I don't trust every police to interpret reasonable suspicion similarly. I think a couple of days ago a policeman shot his in-laws in WA. Well what if one such was the interrogating me. I don't like to live in a police state and be targeted just because I look different. There is a thing called "due process" and it exists for a reason.

Cities boycotting AZ and interstate commerce is quite a stretch. A boycott is something that has been done for ever in America-but I guess it is standard tea party rhetoric to deem it unconstitutions(no might be, not it could be, just it is) if a democrat proposes something.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:

You've made clear your disdain for California as is your right. So why do you continue to post on the California forum, a state you refer to as a "cesspool . . . of moral filth and immorality." Really! Don't you think you are going a little over board or are you one of those self-righteous Bible-belt types? Either way, you come off as an embarrassment to Arizona, a place you are most welcome to stay in.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
"The problem is not with American citizens" Sorry but that is a total copout. So you are suggesting that the citizens of Seattle, Boston, Austin, Milwaukee, etc are not "American" citizens? How do you explain the calls for boycotts in light of the fact that we have a representational government? Were the citizens urging the Los Angeles city council to boycott Arizona not Americans?

It would seem to me that the people of Arizona are becoming more "isolated" as the mayor of Los Angeles stated today.

Most people in Austin are not with the Austin City Council on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration