Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So to the original question, why do the two states hate each other? They really don't. It's mostly funning.
I have a friend from Wisconsin who actually used to believe all the crap about Illinoisans being terrible drivers, "city-slickers" who could not tell a deer from billy goat, etc. But she was young then, probably has wised up by now.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,210 times
I just have to say...we dont hate Illinois people....frustrated maybe...but then when you have a group of people who decry the horrors and the "small minded people" that live in WI and yet flock to our boarders to buy homes in our small towns for the tax breaks...well...it tends to get a little crowded. But by all means, come to WI, spend as much time and money as you want. Personally I think Lake Geneva is lame town..but you all tend to like paying way too much for way to little to have your vacation homes there. The only suggestion I have is...and this is for all in WI and IL....be courteous on the roads, and those little lines that veer off to the left or to the right near driveways and roads....they are TURNING LANES.....LOVE THEM..LEARN TO USE THEM....do not dead stop and then enter the lane...do not make a left turn from the left hand lane (when there is a perfectly good turning lane) Now I know I said this was for all...but just to point out...I have worked in IL for many many years...and this is my biggest frustration with driving down here ...is the mis-use...and/or lack of use of the turning lane. In closing...cant we all just get along...and stop the name calling....cause trust me...there are just as many small minded people in Chicago as there are in Milwaukee. It doesnt take a small town to create a small mind.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsmdvl View Post
I just have to say...we dont hate Illinois people....frustrated maybe...but then when you have a group of people who decry the horrors and the "small minded people" that live in WI and yet flock to our boarders to buy homes in our small towns for the tax breaks...well...it tends to get a little crowded.
Now I'm not accountant or tax attorney so maybe I'm missing something here... but how exactly does buying a home in a high-property-tax state give one a tax break?

Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 PM

202 posts, read 271,131 times
[quote=pittnurse70]I have a friend from Wisconsin who actually used to believe all the crap about Illinoisans being terrible drivers, "city-slickers" who could not tell a deer from billy goat, etc. But she was young then, probably has wised up by now.[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsmdvl View Post
I just have to say...we dont hate Illinois people....frustrated maybe...but then when you have a group of people who decry the horrors and the "small minded people" that live in WI and yet flock to our boarders to buy homes in our small towns for the tax breaks...well...it tends to get a little crowded. But by all means, come to WI, spend as much time and money as you want. Personally I think Lake Geneva is lame town..but you all tend to like paying way too much for way to little to have your vacation homes there. The only suggestion I have is...and this is for all in WI and IL....be courteous on the roads, and those little lines that veer off to the left or to the right near driveways and roads....they are TURNING LANES.....LOVE THEM..LEARN TO USE THEM....do not dead stop and then enter the lane...do not make a left turn from the left hand lane (when there is a perfectly good turning lane) Now I know I said this was for all...but just to point out...I have worked in IL for many many years...and this is my biggest frustration with driving down here ...is the mis-use...and/or lack of use of the turning lane. In closing...cant we all just get along...and stop the name calling....cause trust me...there are just as many small minded people in Chicago as there are in Milwaukee. It doesnt take a small town to create a small mind.

So...your frustration is simply with urban Illiniosans? Small town/rural, non city slicker Illinoisans who know deer and gravel roads are okay? Is it just another case of all Illinoisans being perceived as Chicagoans?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
[quote=Scribbler;1110998][quote=pittnurse70]I have a friend from Wisconsin who actually used to believe all the crap about Illinoisans being terrible drivers, "city-slickers" who could not tell a deer from billy goat, etc. But she was young then, probably has wised up by now.
Quote:

So...your frustration is simply with urban Illiniosans? Small town/rural, non city slicker Illinoisans who know deer and gravel roads are okay? Is it just another case of all Illinoisans being perceived as Chicagoans?
It shouldn't matter whether an Illinoisan is from Chicago or Cairo. This garbage about Illinoisans being bad drivers compared to Wisconsinners is nutty. There are bad drivers everywhere, though every place has its quirks. And some of these Wisconsinners complain about Ill all the way to to the bank!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
This thread is still going....

It's a two way street. I have lived in Chicago and Milwaukee(among other places and I am from neither) and have spent more time in Illinois and Wisconsin than I have ever needed to in my life, so I can qualify here.

For the most part there is no isue between the states. ...however some people from Chicago can get over themselves with the arrogance...such as this topic thread and first post in it. ...But that gut lives nowhere near Chicago anyway...I digress.

People from Wissonsin get razzed etc...when they are in Chicago no differently than vice versa.

And this notion Chicago is anything more than a slow-paced Midwestern city(nothing wrong with that but that is what it is)...is pretty humorous to me.

Chicago has a bigger inferiority complex than any city I have ever been to....fly over country..etc.....boohoo..when people say it....slow paced...etc...get over it.

Wisconsin and Illinois are fine as is Chicago and Milwaukee.

Most of any comments are in jest, and usually by immature people.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
This thread is still going....

It's a two way street. I have lived in Chicago and Milwaukee(among other places and I am from neither) and have spent more time in Illinois and Wisconsin than I have ever needed to in my life, so I can qualify here.

For the most part there is no isue between the states. ...however some people from Chicago can get over themselves with the arrogance...such as this topic thread and first post in it. ...But that gut lives nowhere near Chicago anyway...I digress.

People from Wissonsin get razzed etc...when they are in Chicago no differently than vice versa.

And this notion Chicago is anything more than a slow-paced Midwestern city(nothing wrong with that but that is what it is)...is pretty humorous to me.

Chicago has a bigger inferiority complex than any city I have ever been to....fly over country..etc.....boohoo..when people say it....slow paced...etc...get over it.

Wisconsin and Illinois are fine as is Chicago and Milwaukee.

Most of any comments are in jest, and usually by immature people.

You think you have to live in Chicago proper to have a say? Youre SORELY mistaken. If thats the case, you dont even live here, what qualifies you to speak? Sounds silly doesnt it? But thats what Ive come to expect out of your mouth lately.

And if you did truly live here, then youd understand. Illinoisans, for the most part, are scowled at in WI. Ive been victim of it several times. Particularly the time I got spit on because I had a Cubs hat on (in Fish Creek, WI). Or the time we were at a go-kart track in the Dells and I accidentally spun a guy, who in turn said (and w/o even knowing me) "you must be from Illinois". Or the time I was up at a Revolutionary War reenactment in some small town (forget the name) and some moron in the gas station muttered "more FIBs in town", referring to us I suppose. I didnt know the name of the term at the time, so I dismissed it. Upon learning what it meant, I was redder than a lobster, extremely upset that they would have the nerve to say that in my presence, how frickin rude. Its that kind of disrespect that has happened to many of us, making a thread like this necessary. MANY in WI hold grudges against Illinoisans, mainly because theyre very close-minded when it comes to new arrivals. I wont even mention the Bears/Packers fans. If you think its just a friendly razzing here and there, youre once again also wrong. Big time.

So, with that being said, bon voyage, leave this kind of talk to those who've been victims.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the blatant targeting of Illinois plates in WI by police. Even Wisconsinites admit theyre crooked when it comes to that issue.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 PM

68 posts, read 254,131 times
Default not fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
because wisconsinians do not want ill tempered rude people ruining the precious friendly hospitality in their state!
Hey lonelyC. We had him first, he's a Phoenix hater, now he's a wisconsin hater? hey stevieoh what's up with that? I thought you hated Phoenix. Now it's wisconson. steveoh, see i caught you. Hating on your home site too. I would say your a hater huh. Indiana your next.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelmo View Post
Hey lonelyC. We had him first, he's a Phoenix hater, now he's a wisconsin hater? hey stevieoh what's up with that? I thought you hated Phoenix. Now it's wisconson. steveoh, see i caught you. Hating on your home site too. I would say your a hater huh. Indiana your next.
What he's actually saying in your quote is that he thinks Illinoisians are rude, not Wisconsinite. I don't know if you had him first or not. He's been posting inflammatory junk in the Chicago and Illinois forums for about at least 10 months now about how much Chicago sucks, Sycamore sucks, Dupage County sucks, the whole state sucks, et cetera, and about how he's going to move to Florida where he'll be in paradise forever. He's had so many screen names I can't remember them all, and "lonelychicagoan" was not his first. He's also used "joker" and "batman" and "brokenheart1." He usually gets banned pretty quickly, but he's had quite a long run under his current screen name "triton1."

Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Adelmo is actually a Steve-o hater, he was referring to me and not lonelychicagoan. Same goes for Fishytacoman... Theyre out for me, got nothing better to do than follow me around these boards and question when I throw out facts (key word). Adelmo also has it out for a few members on the AZ boards. Whos the hater now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois