Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I'll take the so called southern illinois redneck backwards people anyday over the stuffed shirt, stick a knife in your back upper state
I travel frequently to So. Illinois and would say the "knife in your back" behavior is not exclusive to the North.
It does have beautiful scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
Southern Illinoisians will stab you in the back every bit as quickly as Chicagoans... i know; I lived in both places, and the only difference in the people themselves is that Chicagoans are more savvy, earn more money and, really, their taxes subsidize everything that happens south of Mount Vernon.... Southern Illinoians should really quit harping on the anti-Chicago thing.... if it weren't for Chicago, you'd all be Kentuckians!!!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Southern Illinoisians will stab you in the back every bit as quickly as Chicagoans... i know; I lived in both places, and the only difference in the people themselves is that Chicagoans are more savvy, earn more money and, really, their taxes subsidize everything that happens south of Mount Vernon.... Southern Illinoians should really quit harping on the anti-Chicago thing.... if it weren't for Chicago, you'd all be Kentuckians!!!!!
This area gets more depressed all the time. Employment options are either weld river barges for guys, or empty bed pans for gals.

Sad thing is, many natives think the economy is booming because a new Walmart or CVS drugstore is going up somewhere.

I'm re-thinking my retirement options. The low cost of living here has been offset by gas prices, and the constant need to travel to escape such oppressive surroundings.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,246 times
I think this thread has completely overlooked the southwestern region of IL, especially the Metro East (St Louis) area. While I grew up on a quiet family farm, my mother had a reasonable commute to downtown St Louis. Having spent the past 10 years in Chicago and LA, I truly miss that balance of city access and country lifestyle. Shawnee is a short drive for a weekend getaway of boating, camping, hiking, and wine! However, during the week it's great to have the employment opportunities, entertainment/dining options, and airport access that St Louis provides.

It's been my experience that few places provide so many options, yet such a reasonable cost of living.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I like:

The climate

Cheap green fees

The Ohio and Mississipi Rivers

Being able to watch Cardinals games on basic cable, without turning my house into a space station.

The KFC buffet in Harrisburg (bigger,better, and cheaper than any KFC buffet anywhere else)

$600 property taxes

No waiting in line most places

I-24, I-57, and I-64
BLS...I know this is an old post,but I just caught this

I TRY to hit there every Sunday after Church if I can

Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 AM

27 posts, read 93,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
A population of 100,000, doesn't meet my criteria of a large urban area.

Chances are the hospitality you experience in your SI town, is the result of growing up there, and everyone knowing everyone else. If a stranger moved into that little town, I guarantee they wouldn't receive that treatment. The locals would be just as "suspicious" as what you experienced in the larger WI town.

There are good people and bad people everywhere. It's merely a reflection of you leaving the place you call home, to a place that was strange and different.
Growing up in that small Southern Illinois town and being white. It is sad that there is no diversity in this area of the country and no one wants it here either. They like living in the 1960's............

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 AM

27 posts, read 93,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I'll take the so called southern illinois redneck backwards people anyday over the stuffed shirt, stick a knife in your back upper state
Not me. After being born and raised here in Southern Illinois and being in the Military which allowed me to travel to different parts of the country and even the world.

The Redneckishness of this place breeds nothing but hatred and intolerance.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
I have nothing but very fond memories of my stay in the Carbondale area during my college years there. However I didn't just participate in the college scene. I was an active musician playing jobs locally (was a card carrying member of the Murphysboro musicians union). We even played live on WTAO for their Sunday morning program (when all the Carbondale folks were just beginning to awaken from their Saturday night parties.) We also played live on the Channel 3 morning show (TV station out of Harrisburg as I recall). Even drove to play a Muscular Dystrophy Telethon at KFVS in Cape Girardeau once. I remember one of the classes I took was music history and our professor had a farm out near Cobden, invited the classes to come to his farm and party with a barbecue and bring the instruments of choice. It was a outright blast. Lot's of guitars, mandolins, dobro's you name it.

I used to love to go south of town to the apple orchards for fresh apples and apple cider. Drove to get a pan fried chicken dinner at a womans home who opened it up 2 nights a week for dinners like a restaurant, except you got to talk with the lady that owned the home and she was the cook This was down by Anna-Jonesboro as I recall. I rather liked the country folks. They were simple perhaps, but were THERE with no airs about themselves. If you were real they liked ya, that simple. It sure was a welcome change from Chicago where I grew up. But I was taught not to have an attitude growing up so I fit in nicely wherever I went.

I too left the Chicago area in 78 for the West. I'm not a big city guy at heart that's for sure. I'd much rather have a home on a lake on at least 5 acres with plenty of peace and quiet and privacy, something you don't get much of in a city. Having a city driving distance away is fine if you need a city fix, but for pure living........no thanks. The people of Southern Illinois always treated me right. I have nothing but fond things to say. Enjoyed the weekends down in Giant City State Park, or the dinners there at the lodge (some of the best fried chicken on the planet). Even old Ma Hales when it existed (before it burnt down I heard) was amazing. And I remember the original Mary Lou's in downtown Carbondale when she had a shack by the railroad tracks you'd wait in line when she opened at 6:30am for the free biscuits and gravy. Ahh the drive to Boskydell for breakfasts at my friends home on Sunday mornings. Yeah, there were some great memories there. It is indeed a unique place deserving of good thoughts.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 PM

202 posts, read 406,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever you want View Post
The KFC buffet in Harrisburg (bigger,better, and cheaper than any KFC buffet anywhere else)
Do they still have cornbread? I remember when KFC had THAT! They suck now that they don't! Stupid biscuits.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 PM

226 posts, read 646,175 times
Ive spent my entire childhood in the Harrisburg?Carrier Mills area. I know this place like the back of my hand.
Things I will miss.

Swimming holes in The Shawnee national forest
Backroads (wink wink)
Being able to jay walk without getting a ticket
going to the movie theater on the square
not being able to walk 15 feet without bumping into someone you know
Wal-mart parking lot at 3 am
parker plaza at 9 pm
My friends
my family
the smell of pumpkin pie in my moms kitchen
Beautiful fall colors
Being snowed in on school/work days
Catskin Days in Carrier Mills
Hunting for old Mine Shafts (Without falling in one)
Finding an old mine shaft and throwing rocks down it (Without falling in one)
Finding abandoned roadbeds and railroad tracks
Walking down abandoned roadbeds and railroad tracks
Walking the bike trail to Harrisburg
4-wheel riding
Drag racing my friends car on Old Rt 13 at speeds topping of 100MPH.
Deer hunting at 5am
Haunted houses/cemeteries all over
Basketball games (in any town as long as the Wildcats Win)
getting drunk in Carbondale
Dorm Parties in Carbondale
Steak N Shake in Marion at 3 am
Carbondale Mall
Alto Pass on Easter (My grandma is buried there)
Old buildings in Cairo
Going to Duqouin State Fair and getting REALLY drunk
Taking the train to Chicago
Trips to Evansville
Trips to St. Louis
Trips to Nashville
Trips to Paducah

plus much more stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois