Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has seen the new TV series called "The Middle". It airs on Wednesday's on CBS. I think its a cute show but curious if Hoosier's feel this show accurately describes life in Indiana which is what the show is based on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 AM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
I had never heard of it until my little brother was telling me about. He thought they were making fun of Indiana. He told me that there was a dollar store knock-off on the show called the "Frugal Hoosier." I thought that was a good name for a dollar store.

Regardless, I've never seen it. I will have to check it out on the net sometime and report back.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 AM

891 posts, read 2,451,534 times
It is on ABC and I think it is funny - sure they make fun of Indiana - but I don't care, it is funny

Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 AM

61 posts, read 174,265 times
It has its funny moments but is not nearly as good as ABC's other new comedy 'Modern Family'. I think 'Parks and Recreation' on NBC (also set in Indiana) is funnier than 'The Middle'. Does 'The Middle' accurately reflect Indiana living??? I guess it would depend on where one falls on the social-economic scale. If you are lower middle class I would say it probably hits closer to home than it would for upper middle class families. The mom & dad often wear Colts or IU shirts around the house, so in that regard the producers nailed it based on what I see people wearing on the weekends at hardware stores, shopping malls, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 PM

231 posts, read 701,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Just curious if anyone has seen the new TV series called "The Middle". It airs on Wednesday's on CBS. I think its a cute show but curious if Hoosier's feel this show accurately describes life in Indiana which is what the show is based on.
Jimmy Fallon from SNL is also on the show, not much of a character though. I think it makes Hoosiers look ridiculous. They made the family so oddballish. A little boy who repeats himself (in a whisper) after certain words. A teenage son who always seems to be in his boxers and a misfit daughter.
Patricia Heaten (I think is her name) character seems lost and the father ( from Scrubs) seems, well a little lost also. It does have it's funny moments, but it just seems a little too out there to be believable.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
I finally got to watch "The Middle" tonight. I must have missed the parts that:

1) Make fun of Indiana

2) are funny

Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,276 times
For a brief moment on a recent episode, they showed a map of the state that identified Warsaw as being in the southeast, near Cincinnati. Goes to show how much research Hollywood does when it places a TV show in flyover country.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM

61 posts, read 174,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
For a brief moment on a recent episode, they showed a map of the state that identified Warsaw as being in the southeast, near Cincinnati. Goes to show how much research Hollywood does when it places a TV show in flyover country.
No kidding. When I saw where they had Warsaw located in the state I had to laugh. I mean how hard is it to open up an atlas and pick out a handful of cities??? This lack of attention to detail would never fly on my favorite show 'Mad Men'.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
ok, I'm resurrecting this thread because I just started watching this show. Ugh!!!! I want to like it, I really do. I find the writing to be great. I really like the kid's characters. But ... please please please tell me:

*they live in southern Indiana ... they are obviously "of" southern indiana ... why don't they have the southern indiana accents? I could understand if they were transplants, but they're not. He's a quarry guy, she sells cars .. they are multi-generational southern indiana people ... THEY HAVE WIS-CAN-SIN ACCENTS!!
*Yea, right, the dad is going to drive Sue all the way up to Gary in one day to sell cheese and sausage ... er, SAH-sage
*Warsaw is NOT in southern Indiana ... they had it confused with VeeVay ...

Oh, and the best insult ... the one and only time they actually have someone who has a southern accent ... she was a white trash skank ho played by Brooke Shields ... THOSE are the characters that sound like they are from Southern Indiana ...

Boo!!!!!!

Last edited by domergurl; 03-18-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
*they live in southern Indiana ... they are obviously "of" southern indiana ... why don't they have the southern indiana accents? I could understand if they were transplants, but they're not. He's a quarry guy, she sells cars .. they are multi-generational southern indiana people ... THEY HAVE WIS-CAN-SIN ACCENTS!!
*Yea, right, the dad is going to drive Sue all the way up to Gary in one day to sell cheese and sausage ... er, SAH-sage
*Warsaw is NOT in southern Indiana ... they had it confused with VeeVay ...

Oh, and the best insult ... the one and only time they actually have someone who has a southern accent ... she was a white trash skank ho played by Brooke Shields ... THOSE are the characters that sound like they are from Southern Indiana ...

Boo!!!!!!
Wow...you're really bothered by this, aren't you? Here, have a hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana