Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times

Advertisements

Case in point:

Source: How To Lose Your Job Via Facebook Status - Geekologie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I got fired because of my 1-3yrs old Facebook photos of me in a party or drinking. I coach volleyball for a high school team. I think I did my job well and taking the team to the playoffs (they haven't been in the playoffs for years). I haven't been in a party or even went out for a drink this whole year (before and during my coaching season).

I'm heartbroken because I really loved coaching. I was told it will go on my record so I can no longer be employed in the county or state involving kids. I am in college right now taking classes to major in Math for teaching high school. I guess now I would have to change my whole career goals.....

I didn't know that what I did in the past and partying is prohibited. It makes me really sad.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanielkit88 View Post
I got fired because of my 1-3yrs old Facebook photos of me in a party or drinking. I coach volleyball for a high school team. I think I did my job well and taking the team to the playoffs (they haven't been in the playoffs for years). I haven't been in a party or even went out for a drink this whole year (before and during my coaching season).

I'm heartbroken because I really loved coaching. I was told it will go on my record so I can no longer be employed in the county or state involving kids. I am in college right now taking classes to major in Math for teaching high school. I guess now I would have to change my whole career goals.....

I didn't know that what I did in the past and partying is prohibited. It makes me really sad.
I think that is crap, I'd fight it if I could. What is their argument or reasoning for firing you and barring you from working for the state? The fact that you were drinking or the actual display of the picture?

Who saw it? Was/is your profile public?

Is there any way to fight it?

This is precisely why I have ONE picture on facebook, and it is of my (now sold) truck...I use FB every day but I'd never put any incriminating evidence out there, too risky as you've found out...

Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear but many, many employers LOOK for the social networking sites for a prospective or current employee. My husband will never have a fb acct and he is smart by doing so. Someone in his company got fired over having a drink in their hand in one of their photos on FB.

Don't leave anything "open to the public". God only knows who sees your personal info on FB. Set it all to private. That's the only way to be safe, then again I hear a fb acct. can never truly be "deleted". Always there in cyberspace somewhere!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
From the perspective of the individual, it can almost be silly for an employer to make a judgement on how that person will perform on the job based on a Facebook profile, regardless of what they do in their personal life (depending on the type of content). Those college party photos? Yeah, they were taken in one moment in time, on one night (probably a weekend night) and are hardly a representation of how that person acted the other 364 days of the year. I'm not a fan of Facebook because it is tied directly to your real name, real info...real everything about your life that anyone can have access to if you don't study their privacy settings. No thanks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but even though Facebook is technically public, it's not openly public to just anyone unless the other party themselves has an account with Facebook. So, if you need a log-in, is that then in some way a private area? Facebook is not the same as a public [anonymous] discussion forum. Seems a little murky to me. With that said, bashing your employer by name on an account where you use your real name is just not smart.

From the employer's perspective, the last thing you want is an employee spouting off willy-nilly. Also, there may be confidentiality issues if you are talking about your employer or posting work photos to your account.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:

Drinking is not a crime, and this is extreme, and really hard to believe, especially since you state you are preparing to teach math in high school.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Now if you work for me, and bad mouth me, or my company, or our products on FB, expect to be unemployed tomorrow, and don't ask for a reference.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Equally hilarious and sad. It's one thing to bash your employer in private to a couple friends or whatever, as sometimes it's hard to not fault an employer who caught wind and took retribution. In some such cases, those fired actually had legal recourse. BUT!...it's a whoooole 'nuther thing to publicly broadcast your bashing, especially when your boss is a member of your little audience.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:16 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:

Talk to a lawyer.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
You know, I just noticed something in the Facebook "Statement of Rights and Responsibilities". Under section 4 - "Registration and Account Security" - line #4 states you will not use your profile for commercial gain, and in parenthesis it gives the example of selling your status update to advertisers. What exactly does that mean? I thought you owned whatever content and information you uploaded to your page, so long as it doesn't violate any copyright. So wouldn't that include some sort of original, witty message you come up with and choose to post as your status update...?

For example, if you post "It was a peaceful stormy night" as your status update, which you believe to be something you came up with all on your own...and then thought it might make a catchy slogan for a mattress store...would the FB Terms prohibit you from selling that slogan to the mattress store??

Or am I misunderstanding something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet