Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What internet browser do you use?
Internet Explorer 15 15.96%
Mozilla Firefox 27 28.72%
Google Chrome 35 37.23%
Safari 5 5.32%
Opera 3 3.19%
Other 9 9.57%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times

Advertisements

I tried Slimjet awhile ago but from what I could tell it didn't seem faster than others (IE, chrome, firefox) & it looked like it was in beta mode, so I uninstalled it later in the day.

I still use Chrome. No other browser feels as fast, polished, & user friendly. My backup is Internet Explorer. Also very fast, but not as polished.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new Windows Spartan browser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
I had used IE until I started to use Google Chrome. IE is just terrible, ew.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dont think the issue of being spied on IS 'NOTHING!!'

It certainly is an important matter! (No one let themselves be WILLINGLY spied on)
I like how you conveniently ignored that I'm using Chrome whilst sending precisely zero data to Google.

You came into this thread and started spewing baseless FUD. And for some reason you think that linking to another forum thread with other people engaging in paranoid rants about the NSA and Google spying on them constitutes some sort of evidence.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM

199 posts, read 261,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I tried Slimjet awhile ago but from what I could tell it didn't seem faster than others (IE, chrome, firefox) & it looked like it was in beta mode, so I uninstalled it later in the day.

I still use Chrome. No other browser feels as fast, polished, & user friendly. My backup is Internet Explorer. Also very fast, but not as polished.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new Windows Spartan browser.
I am also really looking forward to the Microsoft Spartan browser. I am curious what Microsoft will be putting out. It will be nice to see an all new browser type instead of all the copycat browsers that are out there.

I downloaded Slimjet also but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully I can get a good look at it in the next few days.

Microsoft does have my interest peaked though since the new Spartan browser is supposed to have lots of cool features and speed.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Ever since I downloaded the SlimJet browser a month ago, it has out performed IE11, Firefox and Chrome and is now my default browser to date.
If the new Windows Spartan browser is better and or faster, I'm all for it if I have a Windows 10 OS, but if not, I'll stay with my favorite SlimJet browser, which I'm happy with using on my 64 bit Windows 8.1. laptop using AT&T's WiFi TV/PC router with 11Mbps.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
What possesses people to use all these no known browsers from shady companies? Why is it that when I search for something like Slimjet, the only thing I find are links to their own web site and forum posts that were clearly written by people who have an interest in pushing it?

I don't see anything that would make me want to trust them just so I can download a copy of Chromium with some crappy extensions baked in.

Making a browser has become too easy. Download Chromium, add in some extensions and some tracking crap to monetize it, and release it as the best, fastest, most awesome thing ever. And people will actually download it and use it.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:37 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What possesses people to use all these no known browsers from shady companies? Why is it that when I search for something like Slimjet, the only thing I find are links to their own web site and forum posts that were clearly written by people who have an interest in pushing it?

I don't see anything that would make me want to trust them just so I can download a copy of Chromium with some crappy extensions baked in.

Making a browser has become too easy. Download Chromium, add in some extensions and some tracking crap to monetize it, and release it as the best, fastest, most awesome thing ever. And people will actually download it and use it.
It's called sharing and that's what members on here do, instead of being negative (highlighted in red) of what had been shared.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:51 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Negativity is a positive influence.
I use IE11 because so many people say it sucks.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
It's called sharing and that's what members on here do, instead of being negative (highlighted in red) of what had been shared.
There's nothing negative about pointing out the foolishness of installing closed source software from no-name companies that we know nothing about, especially when their products are filled with errors right in the user interface. If they can't even get that right, what makes you have any confidence that they can write stable, secure code?

The fact is, putting together a Chromium-based browser requires virtually no skill. Neither does putting together a Firefox derivative. So I'm not just going to blindly trust that the people putting these browsers out know what they're doing. Nor am I going to blindly assume that the software they're putting out is free of nasty security holes, spyware, tracking cookies, etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
I use IE11 because so many people say it sucks.
Good.....Its good having your own mind!!!

I love IE6 myself and ppl say the same about that.... (I DONT LISTEN TO THIER BS REMARKS -- I know whats good and what I like)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet