Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times

Advertisements

lol this thread is getting funny. I think RJ has a point about the closed mindedness. I don't think it's to the degree he says it is though. But people in this state can be a little nieve. There are no big cities and life is pretty much like living in Mayberry as far as crime. It's nice but people are sheltered here more than other states. Sheltered people tend to be a little more close minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
lol this thread is getting funny. I think RJ has a point about the closed mindedness. I don't think it's to the degree he says it is though. But people in this state can be a little nieve. There are no big cities and life is pretty much like living in Mayberry as far as crime. It's nice but people are sheltered here more than other states. Sheltered people tend to be a little more close minded.
Rather true! I like everything but the unsophisticated people.. but people can be that way everywhere in Rural places, state to state.. when I mean unsophsticated I mean farm, farm, and more farm.

Last edited by summer grace; 11-25-2007 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
hahaha mayberry? i dont think its to the degree you say either zz4guy, that would be nice if it were like mayberry but unfortunately its not ... sadly you think the whole state is as safe as your little town. i think your the one who is close minded. some communities like where i live (waterloo) have a lot of issues other than someone parked there horse in a handicapped parking spot at walmart

Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times
The whole state of IA is mayberry compared to the rest of the nation, big bad Waterloo included.

I went to middle school and grade school in the oh so dreaded SE part of cedar rapids. Most of the time I didnt even lock my car door. Never had to worry about getting mugged or anything like in bigger cities.

Most of my close relatives live in Milwaukee and let me tell you that is definitely NOT mayberry. You take the wrong turn and your life is at risk. Theft is much higher there too. My aunt had her car stolen. Unlce had his tools stolen. Other uncle had his shop broken into and thieves stole an entire safe full of money.

When those kinds of things happen here they make the 6 o clock news, but everywhere else it just happens... this IS mayberry.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,199 times
"big bad waterloo." that was cute really. i love your sarcasm. i didn't compare it to the rest of the nation or milwaukee but thanks for telling me about your uncle and his tools as if that was impressive to me. my brother lives 40 min south in NE Cedar Rapids and had his tools stolen earlier this year.... it happens everywhere. no the crime rate isn't milwaukees you idiot but lets not go to two extremes.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
when I mean unsophsticated I mean farm, farm, and more farm.

Just to be fair, there sure are a lot of "unsophisticated" people in large cities too. Hell, I was in Paris last month and saw a ton of them there, in the most "sophisticated" city in the world.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
^ also have to realize 95% of the people in Iowa do NOT live on a farm. They just take up by far the most land.

1,708,567 of the 2,956,000 people who live in Iowa live in metros of more than 100,000.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Just to be fair, there sure are a lot of "unsophisticated" people in large cities too. Hell, I was in Paris last month and saw a ton of them there, in the most "sophisticated" city in the world.
I lived in Paris, and I can say that people who live there are not the most polite of the world, but "unsophisticated" seems exaggerated.

(excuse my english)

Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,486 times
Why are they so impolite? Are they generally unhappy? Besides the burning cars and riots in the streets, I could only presume they have not much to be unhappy about. Any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Why are they so impolite? Are they generally unhappy? Besides the burning cars and riots in the streets, I could only presume they have not much to be unhappy about. Any thoughts?
In happiness/satisfaction with life studies, they tend to find French people on average less happy/content than most of western/northern Europe. Dunno why. One survey result I once came across showed French people on average far less trustworthy of people than those in many other countries (including most European nations).

Though I dunno if the rioters are really "French"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa