Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM

255 posts, read 608,542 times

Advertisements

Those of you who are upset by this, can you explain why copying the prayer is any different than reading the prayer in a book? Or does that bother you too?

How do you expect anyone to learn anything about Islam without learning the main prayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 PM

But say I moved there, and it did happen. I would certainly want to talk to this teacher and find out why he chose this particular sentence, since it is obvious he has some ulterior motive, otherwise why not simply choose "The sky is blue" or some other inane thing?

Uhmm, I'm guessing because the poor teacher was trying to make the homework meaningful instead of mindless copying. The article said the kids were learning about Islam at the moment in their Religious Education class. Tying their handwriting homework into another subject (in this case, their RE class) seems like a great idea to kill two birds with one stone. It's generally considered a good thing to reinforce subjects like this.

I just don't get why people are upset about this. I really, truly don't.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I agree, we homeschool too, at a great financial sacrifice but how much price can you place on what is taught to your children? Of course, there is the benefit of one on one education and the ability for your child to excel at the rate they are learning and not the rate of the class. But there is more to it. Not to down those whose kids are in the public school system. Not everyone can homeschool as it's admittedly a challenging career choice. However, the morals of the "group" in the public schools are not the kind of socialization I want for my kid. Homeschooling allows us to be around like minded persons (not all religious) who want independent thinkers strong enough to do right in the face of others doing wrong.
I think you are making a good choice, Jazzed. I know that this is not a choice which is suitable for everyone, but I will tell you this - if I had it to do over with my own son, I would look very seriously at homeschooling.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Those of you who are upset by this, can you explain why copying the prayer is any different than reading the prayer in a book? Or does that bother you too?

How do you expect anyone to learn anything about Islam without learning the main prayer?
I do not want my children to learn about Islam until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want to learn. These children are at a very impressionable age and I am so very glad to be here in USA where RE is not required at that age.

It goes against everything I believe in, and therefore I wish no part of it. No offense meant to you, but I am a Christian and am perfectly happy to be where I am.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:

You know, I just re-read the link, and I missed this fact the first time around. I don't know what RE stands for (reading?), but if the class was about Islam, then the parents can hardly get angry for the kids participating in a class that was about Islam! Unless they didn't know the class was learning about this in the 1st place, but then they are hardly involved parents then, are they?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You know, I just re-read the link, and I missed this fact the first time around. I don't know what RE stands for (reading?), but if the class was about Islam, then the parents can hardly get angry for the kids participating in a class that was about Islam! Unless they didn't know the class was learning about this in the 1st place, but then they are hardly involved parents then, are they?
I'm a little slow...RE=Religion. What's wrong with learning about the existense of other cultures and religion? Although, now that I think about it the sentence does seem to espouse the religion a bit.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Frankly, I would not have wanted my 10 year old studying Islam in the first place, but that's just me-religious extremist fanatic that I am!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM

I do not want my children to learn about Islam until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want to learn. These children are at a very impressionable age and I am so very glad to be here in USA where RE is not required at that age.

The kids are 10. They are living in a country which is being significantly impacted politically and socially by large numbers of Muslims. I think it is entirely appropriate for the school to educate these students about what Muslims believe. Certainly, parents will frame what the kids are learning in terms of their own faith. It is possible to teach about what a religion believes without advocating those beliefs yourself.

It goes against everything I believe in, and therefore I wish no part of it. No offense meant to you, but I am a Christian and am perfectly happy to be where I am.

I'm a Christian also, and I have no interest in convering to Islam. But I strongly believe that it is important to know about the other people in our country and on the planet. Those who aren't willing or able to do this are, in my opinion, poorly prepared to function in a country with religious freedom.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Frankly, I would not have wanted my 10 year old studying Islam in the first place, but that's just me-religious extremist fanatic that I am!
I wouldn't want them studying it in the sense of learning the tenants and beliefs, or if so, only in the most general sense. But they should be aware that there are other belief systems out there, and as Christians, I think it's important to have a general knowledge of these beliefs. So I would want them to learn but I think I would want to closely moniter what was being taught and with what slant.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I wouldn't want them studying it in the sense of learning the tenants and beliefs, or if so, only in the most general sense. But they should be aware that there are other belief systems out there, and as Christians, I think it's important to have a general knowledge of these beliefs. So I would want them to learn but I think I would want to closely moniter what was being taught and with what slant.
Bingo! Exactly how I feel! Now maybe I better log off my computer while we're in agreement on something, Jeff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam