Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times

Advertisements

Peace my Brothers and sisters,

As there is no Islamic Section this seems to be the best place to post this thread.

I am making this thread in order for us to share our Islamic teachings. The Majority of us have initially learned what we know about Islam from our Mothers or through self self education. Sadly for Most of the world's Muslims there are no Islamic Schools.

As Muslims one of our greatest obligations is to learn that learning will never end and that we all are ignorant. As we learn and share knowledge, let us remember we alone are responsible for what we learn or fail to learn. We each have the responsibility to verify all things we are taught. Islam is not a religion of blind faith. We do not accept the words of any human as being true until we personally verify them to be true. We can never have the excuse we were mislead. what and who we follow we must verify to our satisfaction, it is true and be willing to accept the consequences if we are wrong.

I think this thread can best be handled if we try to keep our discussions in a particular area and not go to the next area until it seems we have finished with the previous. My suggestion is we discuss things in the following order.

1. Pillers of Faith

2, Fundemntals of Islam

3. Sunnah

4. Proper way to pray

5. Qur'an

6. The science of Hadeeth.

Somebody may now open the discussion with the pillars of Faith and what they mean to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Let us begin the with the pillars of Faith.

1) The Testimony of Faith:

The testimony of faith is saying with conviction, La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammadur rasoolu Allah. This saying means “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1 and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” The first part, “There is no true god but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. This testimony of faith is called the Shahada, a simple formula which should be said with conviction in order to convert to Islam (as explained previously on this page). The testimony of faith is the most important pillar of Islam.

2) PrayerSALAT)

Muslims perform five prayers a day. Each prayer does not take more than a few minutes to perform. Prayer in Islam is a direct link between the worshipper and God. There are no intermediaries between God and the worshipper.
In prayer, a person feels inner happiness, peace, and comfort, and that God is pleased with him or her. The Prophet Muhammad said: {Bilal, call (the people) to prayer, let us be comforted by it.}2 Bilal was one of Muhammad’s companions who was charged to call the people to prayers.
Prayers are performed at dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and night. A Muslim may pray almost anywhere, such as in fields, offices, factories, or universities.

3) Giving Zakat (Support of the Needy):

All things belong to God, and wealth is therefore held by human beings in trust. The original meaning of the word zakat is both ‘purification’ and ‘growth.’ Giving zakat means ‘giving a specified percentage on certain properties to certain classes of needy people.’ The percentage which is due on gold, silver, and cash funds that have reached the amount of about 85 grams of gold and held in possession for one lunar year is two and a half percent. Our possessions are purified by setting aside a small portion for those in need, and, like the pruning of plants, this cutting back balances and encourages new growth.
A person may also give as much as he or she pleases as voluntary alms or charity.

4) Fasting the Month of Ramadan:

Every year in the month of Ramadan,4 all Muslims fast from dawn until sundown, abstaining from food, drink, and sexual relations.
Although the fast is beneficial to health, it is regarded principally as a method of spiritual self-purification. By cutting oneself off from worldly comforts, even for a short time, a fasting person gains true sympathy with those who go hungry, as well as growth in his or her spiritual life.

5) The Pilgrimage to Makkah:

The annual pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah is an obligation once in a lifetime for those who are physically and financially able to perform it. About two million people go to Makkah each year from every corner of the globe. Although Makkah is always filled with visitors, the annual Hajj is performed in the twelfth month of the Islamic calendar. Male pilgrims wear special simple clothes which strip away distinctions of class and culture so that all stand equal before God.

Pillar 2 is often misunderstood as Salat does not translate exactly into the Non-Muslim concept of prayer. This does confuse some reverts to Islam as they have a different concept of prayer. Salat corresponds more closely to the Christian concept of Worship Service. What we call Du'as are more in the meaning of the English word prayer and these we can do at any time and should do as often as possible.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Woodrow LI, I have some questions and I do not wish to derail this post by possibly being off topic, if but if you will permit me I would like to ask a question about the teaching of Islam and not necessarily its context, but the teachers themselves. I know that parts of the Qur'an teaches a certain amount of violence to nonbelievers (infidels) but it also claims to be the religion of peace and I'm wondering if the teachers of Islam, in the Middle East, are not teaching more the violence than the peace. I know that Christianity went through a period of time when it taught violence against others who did not believe the same as they did, but as the people became better educated about their sacred book, they turned away from the violence and more towards love and peace. Now I'm wondering if that could not be possible with a Islam. It's the teachers that need to change because the students only know what the teachers are teaching them.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Woodrow LI, I have some questions and I do not wish to derail this post by possibly being off topic, if but if you will permit me I would like to ask a question about the teaching of Islam and not necessarily its context, but the teachers themselves. I know that parts of the Qur'an teaches a certain amount of violence to nonbelievers (infidels) but it also claims to be the religion of peace and I'm wondering if the teachers of Islam, in the Middle East, are not teaching more the violence than the peace. I know that Christianity went through a period of time when it taught violence against others who did not believe the same as they did, but as the people became better educated about their sacred book, they turned away from the violence and more towards love and peace. Now I'm wondering if that could not be possible with a Islam. It's the teachers that need to change because the students only know what the teachers are teaching them.
An unbeliever is a Kafir which is often translated as an infidel. It is not intended to be a derogatory word unless a person is calling another Muslim a Kafir. It is also considered a grave sin for a Muslim to call another Muslim a kafir and as a safety measure it is best to never call any person a Kafir as we do not know what is in another person's heart.

Your Question is a good question for here. One of our responsibilities as Muslims is to verify everything anybody teaches us. There are people who teach in a manner to serve their own purposes and not to teach what Islam is. What you are speaking of has been and is being done. There is a push on to have better educated teachers, especially in impoverished countries. Sadly people do take advantage of illiteracy and ignorance to misguide. The Qur'an is very specific in regards to violence and Muslims are forbidden to be aggressors, but words can and do get taken out of context to teach wrong.

There are even places where women are forbidden to read the Qur'an out of fear they will learn their rights in Islam. This comes from misusing that women are not required to attend a Mosque and changing it to forbidding them to.

Education is the key, but first peace and stability have to be achieved. This is a difficult task as long as outside powers are playing key roles in many Islamic nations. there is a strong need for qualified teachers in the Madrassa (Islamic Schools)

Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
An unbeliever is a Kafir which is often translated as an infidel. It is not intended to be a derogatory word unless a person is calling another Muslim a Kafir. It is also considered a grave sin for a Muslim to call another Muslim a kafir and as a safety measure it is best to never call any person a Kafir as we do not know what is in another person's heart.

Your Question is a good question for here. One of our responsibilities as Muslims is to verify everything anybody teaches us. There are people who teach in a manner to serve their own purposes and not to teach what Islam is. What you are speaking of has been and is being done. There is a push on to have better educated teachers, especially in impoverished countries. Sadly people do take advantage of illiteracy and ignorance to misguide. The Qur'an is very specific in regards to violence and Muslims are forbidden to be aggressors, but words can and do get taken out of context to teach wrong.

There are even places where women are forbidden to read the Qur'an out of fear they will learn their rights in Islam. This comes from misusing that women are not required to attend a Mosque and changing it to forbidding them to.

Education is the key, but first peace and stability have to be achieved. This is a difficult task as long as outside powers are playing key roles in many Islamic nations. there is a strong need for qualified teachers in the Madrassa (Islamic Schools)

I thank you for your response. The underline above is quite interesting, you're referring that peace and stability must first be achieved before the education, would it not be best to educate first in order to achieve peace and stability? I find that the better educated a person is in their belief the more stable they are with that belief.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[/u][/i]

I thank you for your response. The underline above is quite interesting, you're referring that peace and stability must first be achieved before the education, would it not be best to educate first in order to achieve peace and stability? I find that the better educated a person is in their belief the more stable they are with that belief.
I should have been clearer and emphasis that there will not be peace and stability while there are outside forces, bringing "Freedom and Democracy" to the lands. It is nearly impossible to get anybody into a school as long as there is fear of an air strike.

The first bit of peace and stability requires the removal of outsiders, then education will be of benefit and lead to real internal Peace and Stability.

Sort of like saying that if there is an uprising on Pine Ridge, the people can be educated by the 7th Cavalry. You would have to get the Cavalry out first and than let the tribal leaders, set up a true Lakota Education system. Come to think of it, there is unrest on Pine Ridge and the Lakota are killing each other. But this will not end until the Wasichu are gone and true Lakota education can return. It is similar in the Islamic Nations, except on a larger scale there.

Just like true Lakota teaching will bring Peace to Pine ridge, True Islamic teaching will bring Peace to the Islamic nations, but the education can not take place in either while there is outside interference.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I should have been clearer and emphasis that there will not be peace and stability while there are outside forces, bringing "Freedom and Democracy" to the lands. It is nearly impossible to get anybody into a school as long as there is fear of an air strike.

The first bit of peace and stability requires the removal of outsiders, then education will be of benefit and lead to real internal Peace and Stability.

Sort of like saying that if there is an uprising on Pine Ridge, the people can be educated by the 7th Cavalry. You would have to get the Cavalry out first and than let the tribal leaders, set up a true Lakota Education system. Come to think of it, there is unrest on Pine Ridge and the Lakota are killing each other. But this will not end until the Wasichu are gone and true Lakota education can return. It is similar in the Islamic Nations, except on a larger scale there.

Just like true Lakota teaching will bring Peace to Pine ridge, True Islamic teaching will bring Peace to the Islamic nations, but the education can not take place in either while there is outside interference.
So true, to be taught by their own kind without the outside influences, but you need to educate the future educators in the proper way..... I appreciate this conversation and I do not wish to take up too much time on being off topic, I would not like to see this thread closed because of it, so I thank you for your responses and will let you get back to your teachings and hopefully some others of your faith will join you in this thread.wa-do

Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times
Quote:

I don't think true Islamic teaching or madrassas will bring peace.
I think allowing for a secular education that allows for diversity in thought and religion is the answer.

Religion and education don't mix. My children go to school with children of all faiths even muslims.

Children need to learn about differences and acceptance.

I was looking some of what Native Americans believe:

Native American beliefs are deeply rooted in their culuture.
EVERYTHING is sacred from the largest mountain to the smallest plant and animal.
A lesson can be found in all things and experiences and everything has a purpose.
To sum up Native Spirituality; it is about HONOR, LOVE, and RESPECT.
Not only do we love, honor, and respect our Creator and our Mother Earth, but also every living thing.
It is about being in touch with ourselves and everything around us.
It is about knowing and understanding that we are part of everything, and everything is a part of us.
We are all One.
We also believe that our Elders hold the answers.
Our Elders keep our culture alive.
We have much to learn from our Elders, and they deserve and receive our utmost respect.

Ptsum if I have it wrong please tell me....

Last edited by Jazzymom; 06-25-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:
True Islamic teaching will bring Peace to the Islamic nations, but the education can not take place in either while there is outside interference.
Yeah, we really see that concept working in Muslim countries

Preach on, dream on, the reality is islam brings violence and subjugation to women. Sugar coat it to your hearts content, the reality of islam is very different.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I don't think true Islamic teaching or madrassas will bring peace.
I think allowing for a secular education that allows for diversity in thought and religion is the answer.

Religion and education don't mix. My children go to school with children of all faiths even muslims.

Children need to learn about differences and acceptance.
Which is all fine if you live in a mixed culture. I do agree an Islamic State would not be acceptable for many non-Muslims especially if they enjoy alcohol, Music, the mixing of Genders, etc. However, keep in mind most Muslims would prefer to live in an Islamic state if one existed. But, none do exist.

Muslims have been in the Americas for over 400 years and have lived in peace with their non-Muslim neighbors. In the early history of the USA they did make a fairly large percentage of the USA. But, most had a true Islamic education and followed their De'en, which is peaceful.

Now to return to the original topic, which is to share Islamic education with Muslims.

The Pillars of faith were mentioned above, we also have the fundamentals of Islam which are:

1, A single, indivisible God. (God, the creator, is just, omnipotent and merciful. "Allah" is often used to refer to God; it is the Arabic word for God.)

2. The angels.

3. The divine scriptures, which include the Torah, the Psalms, the rest of the Bible, (as they were originally revealed) and the Qur'an (which is composed of God's words, dictated by the Archangel Gabriel to Muhammad).

4.The Messengers of God, including Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus and Muhammad -- the last prophet; (peace be upon them). Muhammad's message is considered the final, universal message for all of humanity.

5.The Day of Judgment when people will be judged on the basis of their deeds while on earth, and will either attain reward of Heaven or punishment in Hell. They do not believe that Jesus or any other individual can atone for another person's sin. Hell is where unbelievers and sinners spend eternity. One translation of the Qur'an, 98:1-8, states: "The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures." ("People of the Book" refers to Christians, Jews and Muslims). Paradise is a place of physical and spiritual pleasure where the sinless go after death

6.The supremacy of God's will.

In it's simplest form that is what a Muslim is taught and is required to believe and follow. The sincere saying of the shahadah is sufficient for a person to be Muslim. But, it is always our responsibility to learn more to our full ability or the end of our life, whichever occurs first. For most of us our learning comes through reading, and asking questions of any we believe can tell us more. but, we always have the responsibility to verify what we learn and to verify the truth and authenticity of all things.

Essentially we are permitted to do all things that the Qur'an does not forbid. The entire Qur'an is contained in the Surah al-Fatihah 7 short lines. The remainder of the Qur'an explains how to live Surah Al-Fatihah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam