Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times

Advertisements

[quote=Woodrow LI;19859267]First, the beating done within the limits defined by the Qur'an may indeed bring the husband and wife to some kind of understanding. This is not because of the pain involved, which in any case cannot be too much if the guidance in the Qur'an and Hadith are to be observed. Rather, the husband and wife may come closer together after beating because of the emotions involved. The wife may experience the depth of hurt and disturbance her nushuz is causing and if there is any love left among them may decide for that reason to change her conduct. It seems from observations of human behavior that a show of male physical energy can sometimes bring a woman out of a prolonged bad mood (5) even though this energy may be seemingly directed against her in the form of angry words or a slap, provided in this manifestation of energy there is an undercurrent of love and desire for the woman and no real harm is done to the woman. In the situation with which the present verse is dealing, it is understood that in his heart the husband does have some love and desire for the wife. For, he has the option of divorcing her but he is not taking that option. Of course, there are husbands who neither love their wives nor divorce them, but keep them to punish them or exploit them. But we are not dealing with this situation here, since the assumption is that ill-will (nushuz) is from the wife's side.

Beating is never ok.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 PM

439 posts, read 556,316 times
a light tap is always ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
1 – The Qur’aan enjoins good treatment of one's wife: she is to be honoured and treated kindly, even when one no longer feels love in one's heart towards her.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and live with them honourably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allaah brings through it a great deal of good”
[al-Nisa’ 4:19]
2 – The Qur’aan explains that women have rights over their husbands, just as their husbands have rights over them.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise”
[al-Baqarah 2:228]

This verse indicates that the man has additional rights, commensurate with his role as protector and maintainer and his responsibility of spending (on his wife) etc.

3 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined kind treatment and honouring of one’s wife, and he described the best of people as those who are best to their wives. He said:

“The best of you are those who are the best to their wives, and I am the best of you to my wives.”

4 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) spoke beautiful word concerning kind treatment of one’s wife, stating that when the husband feeds his wife and puts a morsel of food in her mouth, he earns the reward of doing an act of charity. He said,

“You never spend anything but you will be rewarded for it, even the morsel of food that you lift to your wife’s mouth.”

4 – And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Fear Allaah with regard to women, for you have taken them as a trust from Allaah and intimacy with them has become permissible to you by the words of Allaah. Your right over them is that they should not allow anyone to sit on your furniture whom you dislike; if they do that then hit them but not in a harsh manner. And their right over you is that you should provide for them and clothe them on a reasonable basis.”

What is meant by “they should not allow anyone to sit on your furniture whom you dislike” is that they should not allow anyone whom you dislike to enter your houses, whether the person disliked is a man or a woman, or any of the woman’s mahrams [close relatives to whom marriage is forbidden]. The prohibition includes all of them.

The hadeeth may be understood as meaning that a man has the right to hit his wife, in a manner that is not harsh and does not cause injury if if there is a reason for that, such as her going against his wishes or disobeying him.

This is like the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“As to those women on whose part you see ill‑conduct, admonish them (first), (next) refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allaah is Ever Most High, Most Great”
[al-Nisa’ 4:34]

If a woman rebels against her husband and disobeys his commands, then he should follow this method of admonishing her, forsaking her in bed and hitting her. Hitting is subject to the condition that it should not be harsh or cause injury.

this means that it should not cause pain.
a light tap that leaves no mark or
a light touch by toothbrush.
the face must be avoided.

The purpose behind this is not to hurt or humiliate the woman, rather it is intended to make her realize that she has transgressed against her husband’s rights, and that her husband has the right to set her straight and discipline her.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
a light tap is always ok.
"

No, it is not.....

To treat your wife like she is a child and in need of your corrections is not ok.

To strike is not ok even if you call it a "tap".

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Just when I was beginning to think that some Muslims here were progressive, I find out that they still think of women as second class humans. I'm sorely disappointed...As far as I'm concerned it is never ok to beat anyone...Wife or child.

Tell ya what Muslims, try giving one of my female family members a "light tap" and see what happens to you.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Just when I was beginning to think that some Muslims here were progressive, I find out that they still think of women as second class humans. I'm sorely disappointed...As far as I'm concerned it is never ok to beat anyone...Wife or child.

Tell ya what Muslims, try giving one of my female family members a "light tap" and see what happens to you.
Have no fear, we are not permitted to touch the members of another person's family.

Also this "Light tap, mild beating etc" is the maximum permitted and not the required or even recommended. Many if not most Muslims do not believe in the use of physical discipline for anybody.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 AM

617 posts, read 696,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

that Presence a verse in the Koran about beating women as "light tap" does not meant that it was Obligatory upon a man and wife but they are free to solve their problems as they see

Muhammad peace be upon him had been not beat his wives, and forbade the beating of women...

I hope that you come to most Muslim countries, have here and in most countries of the Gulf, even you see if the woman is beaten or even as second class humans or not

So, As long as the West thinks its self as progressive Why did I see and hear have many, many the beating of women, Violence to the extent of the kill by her husband ,father, boyfriends, so on ? ..Oh it was not as "light tap" but cruelty!!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I really don't care if it is a light tap or no tap at all. Just the idea that women can be disciplined by their husbands indicates that women are considered of less value than men...That idea is repulsive to me and belongs in the past.

I see you are picking up woodrow's habit of deflection
Quote:
So, As long as the West thinks its self as progressive Why did I see and hear have many, many the beating of women, Violence to the extent of the kill by her husband ,father, boyfriends, so on ? ..Oh it was not as "light tap" but cruelty!!
There are criminals in every society, and when caught are prosecuted...That is not the same as a religion that allows and teaches that women are worth less than men.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM

439 posts, read 556,316 times
The purpose behind this is not to hurt or humiliate the woman,
rather it is intended to make her realize that she has transgressed against her husband’s rights, and that her husband has the right to set her straight and discipline her.

in other word to wake her up.

and rescue the marriage and the family and the house.

usualy when a husband hates his wife then he would leave her

but see what the Quran says regarding such case
“and live with them honourably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allaah brings through it a great deal of good” The Noble Quran.
what can you understand from the above verse. ?
what i understand is even if the husband hates his wife the Quran advise him not leave her
and he will be rewarded with a great deal of good.

can you see now how the Quran aim to rescue the family.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
The purpose behind this is not to hurt or humiliate the woman,
rather it is intended to make her realize that she has transgressed against her husband’s rights, and that her husband has the right to set her straight and discipline her.

in other word to wake her up.

and rescue the marriage and the family and the house.

usualy when a husband hates his wife then he would leave her

but see what the Quran says regarding such case
“and live with them honourably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allaah brings through it a great deal of good” The Noble Quran.
what can you understand from the above verse. ?
what i understand is even if the husband hates his wife the Quran advise him not leave her
and he will be rewarded with a great deal of good.

can you see now how the Quran aim to rescue the family.

When you touch someone in a manner to correct them you are treating them as a child and it is a humiliation.

You cannot know what a woman feels when she is treated in such a way because you are a man.

All I see is humiliation and degradation and muslims in support of such behavior.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM

591 posts, read 641,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
When you touch someone in a manner to correct them you are treating them as a child and it is a humiliation.

You cannot know what a woman feels when she is treated in such a way because you are a man.

All I see is humiliation and degradation and muslims in support of such behavior.

You being a Jewish female means you are ripe for having your husband and father killed so you can be taken in and sold as one of Muhammad's sex slaves. That's what Islam is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam