Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 29,850 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody...

Well before I accept a position in Jacksonville, I need people's help on this. I'm moving from Canada and I want to make a very inform decision.

Heres a little background situation about me. Recently graduated so i'm basically accepting an entry level job. I just wanted to know which areas are affordable to live. I will be renting for atleast a year. My price range would be around 600 - 850 a month . I don't want too commute too far away from work. But willing to drive a max of 45 minutes. The work location is

3805 Faye Road, Jax, FL 32226

Can anyone recommend a safe location to rent where's its affordable and close to ammenities and to the adress i mention.

Also I wanted to ask is the cost of living expensive in Jacksonville? and is Jacksonville pretty diverse ? because diversity is one of my main driving factors when deciding to move or not ?

Thank you for your comments and opinions, it will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,185 times
Well, if you lived at the opposite end of the city, since 95 and 9A are right there, I would say 45 minutes would be your commute. IMO, that is not that great of an area to live in. But here is your problem, you could rent a smaller home in a less-than desirable part of town or a 1 bed room, (maybe 2, if you really do some looking), apartment in some really great areas for that price.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
What kind of lifestyle do you want? Amenities can mean different things to different people.

There are a number of options around Jax, but I would imagine that many of them would be advertised by a sign in the window VS a big apartment complex.

I think you could go into east Georgia if you are willing to commute 45 minutes. And Yulee and Callahan are more rural, if you want country living.

If you are okay with a small place, you might even find something around Fernandina- maybe a 1 BR garage apartment.

I'm projecting here, but when I was out of school, I lived in a tiny garage apartment in Jax and it was heaven to me- close enough to work, walking distance to the bars, inexpensive..... So I am thinking that the size of the place isn't as big a deal to someone right out of school as the location.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,920 times
Your job is way out there. You are probably equidistant from any of the areas for young people. These areas are:

1. Jacksonville Beach/Atlantic Beach
2. Riverside
3. Along Southside Blvd. from about Gate Pkwy down to 95

The order listed is also the order of liveliness, ease with which to meet people, and number of young people. So take your pick. I think living at the beach is the best option for you.

I would steer clear of North Jax and Georgia. The culture shock will be too much to handle.

Jacksonville is probably the least diverse major city in Florida and one of the least diverse small cities in the US. It is pretty black and white here where most of the people have not maintained much of their immigrant culture and now after 4 or 5 generations in the US are more of a mix of ethnicities.....very small town America feel to it here. The diversity is much like rural America....not an American city. But you will see some hispanics...some Indians....some Asians....but it will not hit you in the face like in other major cities.

Just some quick numbers:

Of the other major cities in Florida:
Orlando
Tampa
Palm Beach/Broward County

It is about 50% white and about 25% hispanic and 25% african american.....some Asians.

Miami is about 60% hispanic, 20% white, 20% black...and some Asians.

Now Jacksonville is the Florida anomaly at:

60% White, 35% Black, and 5% Hispanic....some Asians.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
That area, the Northside, has some new construction, so you might find a good apartment or townhouse rental near work.

After work though, you might find yourself driving out of the area to get to things (restaurants, nightlife, beyond basic shopping...). So another option would be to live in the Southside region of the city.

Route 9A (I295/9A) would make your commute to work easy if you were to cross the river south of work and live on the Southside/Intracoastal West.

Zip code 32225 - which is the Fort Caroline/Intracoastal West area - has some nice apartments along Monument Road and the surrounds (older townhomes too). It's a safe area and it's a very convenient area. Commuting from 32225 to your job site should be 20 minutes or less.

Keep in mind that $600 does not rent much at all in Jacksonville, so be prepared to spend on the high end of your budget .

I find Jacksonville to be diverse, but that may be due to the areas I've chosen to live in.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:08 AM

7 posts, read 29,850 times
thanks for the replies guys.. keep them coming .. i appreciate it ..

as for taxes ? how does tax work in jacksonville ?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post
thanks for the replies guys.. keep them coming .. i appreciate it ..

as for taxes ? how does tax work in jacksonville ?
No city tax on your income and no state tax on your income, so that helps .

Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

I find Jacksonville to be diverse, but that may be due to the areas I've chosen to live in.
What is your definition of diversity? I guess I define diversity as meeting people from all over the world....I have met a couple of Indians, Chinese, a few South Americans, some Filipinos, and a couple of Puerto Ricans...maybe a cuban or two. But the majority of the people I have met have been typical white people who either grew up here in Jacksonville or moved here from a northern city. I hang out all over Jactionville, so I don't think I am being biased to the area in which I live and work.

Certainly you can find diversity here, but you need to look for it. I rarely hear foreign languages spoken here.

Working on the north side the OP can expect even less diversity. Mostly african americans and good ol boys up in that area. I think it is funny how the good ol boys try to be as close to Georgia as possible.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
What is your definition of diversity? I guess I define diversity as meeting people from all over the world....I have met a couple of Indians, Chinese, a few South Americans, some Filipinos, and a couple of Puerto Ricans...maybe a cuban or two. But the majority of the people I have met have been typical white people who either grew up here in Jacksonville or moved here from a northern city. I hang out all over Jactionville, so I don't think I am being biased to the area in which I live and work.

Certainly you can find diversity here, but you need to look for it. I rarely hear foreign languages spoken here.

Working on the north side the OP can expect even less diversity. Mostly african americans and good ol boys up in that area. I think it is funny how the good ol boys try to be as close to Georgia as possible.
We're defining diversity in pretty much the same way. In my neighborhood in Intracoastal West, my immediate neighbors were Phillipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Armenian, Korean, Eastern European (not sure exact country ), a lesbian couple, and a muslim family. The nearest white people that lived near me were in a mixed racial family. White was definitely not the majority in the neighborhood, it was maybe 40%. Many languages were spoken and styles of dress (women in muslim attire, etc.).

But again, I like diversity and look for it when choosing a place to live. I've also been here long enough to know where to find diversity and where to find enclaves of "good old boys" .

Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We're defining diversity in pretty much the same way. In my neighborhood in Intracoastal West, my immediate neighbors were Phillipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Armenian, Korean, Eastern European (not sure exact country ), a lesbian couple, and a muslim family. The nearest white people that lived near me were in a mixed racial family. White was definitely not the majority in the neighborhood, it was maybe 40%. Many languages were spoken and styles of dress (women in muslim attire, etc.).

But again, I like diversity and look for it when choosing a place to live. I've also been here long enough to know where to find diversity and where to find enclaves of "good old boys" .
Wow Riveree you have found a good neighborhood. You make me proud seeking out the diverse neighborhoods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville