Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

With so much heavy discussion in this thread, I'll Ask a Jew a lighter hearted question.

Is it OK to call a Christmas Tree put up and decorated by a Jew a "Jewboy Christmas Tree"? Decades ago I helped my wife's parents (she's Protestant, I'm Jewish) put up their tree. I guess I did such a great job that I was the only one allowed to put up their tree for decades until she passed a few years ago. I coined the term Jewboy Christmas Tree, because I found it humerus the Jewish guy was relegated to such work.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
What if I were to tell you that the complete set of divine laws regarding sabbath observance was designed to make the administration of the death penalty nearly impossible, and that the penalties were designed as theoretical deterrents and not practical solutions, would that change anything?
It would seem that making administration of the death penalty nearly impossible would make these penalties not even a theoretical deterrent. At first glance it would appear that revenge killings (which are also somewhat regulated) fill a gap. Yet you write "So the rules of revenge killings, war wives and slavery exist even though none of them is optimal." Or do I misunderstand your meaning, and you, too, while regarding revenge killings as hardly optimal, see a place for them in the Biblical/Rabbinical system?

Old 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm not seeing the regulative deterrent when owning non-new slaves. And, I'm not seeing the morality in stoning a guy for picking up sticks on a sabbath. I'm not seeing the meaningful message in the story of Lot. These scriptures reek of man and not of a moral SN being.

Laws for Servants
…5"But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' 6then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently.

There were so many instances of Jews not wanting to leave their master's house that if you chose slavery and received an earring, there were set conditions you would go through, they would take you out and mock you in public because you chose to live as a slave. A master might give you a wife and treat you so good that you never, ever want to leave, and the laws concerning slavery are not like other nations where slaves would actually want to leave their servitude, many Jews chose to stay because they were saved and loved by their masters and the practice of these things would naturally teach any master who owned a slave{Be it Jew or Gentile} to be a loving good master that looks at all his people as HIS people, his family and we look at Abraham and wonder just how many followed him under his name that he could go up to the battle of the kings and take out Lot.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
With so much heavy discussion in this thread, I'll Ask a Jew a lighter hearted question.

Is it OK to call a Christmas Tree put up and decorated by a Jew a "Jewboy Christmas Tree"? Decades ago I helped my wife's parents (she's Protestant, I'm Jewish) put up their tree. I guess I did such a great job that I was the only one allowed to put up their tree for decades until she passed a few years ago. I coined the term Jewboy Christmas Tree, because I found it humerus the Jewish guy was relegated to such work.

Jeremiah 10
The Sovereignty of God
1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

If you have stood up a tree in your house and decorated it, you should look at it as who EXACTLY it is.

It is a tree cut down that is now dead, and you have decorated it so that it appears to be living again as you have made it ,'' The Branch from heaven.''

The name of a Christmas tree is,'' Tammuz.''

Tammuz has always and always will be the Messiah of Babylon and one who practices the traditions that teach the resurrection of the Babylonian Messiah teaches Tammuz, ''THE BRANCH FROM HEAVEN.''

The people of God who practice the ways of God receive a mark in their forehead and right hand as a memorial that they keep the Sabbaths, Feasts, traditions, rituals of God. EXODUS 13

These people thereby are sealed in their forehead because they choose Jerusalem and the Messiah of Jerusalem, and whatever you keep marks you in your forehead. The name of Tammuz, the Babylonian Messiah will never change, and we see what happens to those who keep the Saturnalia and Easter in Ezekiel 8 and 9.

Ezekiel 9.
4The LORD said to him, "Go through the midst of the city, even through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations which are being committed in its midst." 5But to the others He said in my hearing, "Go through the city after him and strike; do not let your eye have pity and do not spare.…

Everyone who does not have the seal of God in their forehead will die, look at the date.

The sacrifice changes the date, and at 6 p.m. All these people whose back was turned away from the Temple were looking to the sun instead of the temple.

The date is 6 P.M. on the 6th day, in the 6th month, in the 6th year.

Whether Revelation was written by a mad man or not, this is exactly what he points to, people dying for keeping the religion of Tammuz as they bring an idol into their homes.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:26 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
It would seem that making administration of the death penalty nearly impossible would make these penalties not even a theoretical deterrent. At first glance it would appear that revenge killings (which are also somewhat regulated) fill a gap. Yet you write "So the rules of revenge killings, war wives and slavery exist even though none of them is optimal." Or do I misunderstand your meaning, and you, too, while regarding revenge killings as hardly optimal, see a place for them in the Biblical/Rabbinical system?
The deterrents were more far reaching than just the death penalty. The community served to educate, censure and keep people in check and apparently, there were significantly fewer cases of crime that needed to be adjudicated. The laws also were set up within a faith system so anyone that the courts could not convict but who were guilty were dealt with by God. This kept the system from being ignored.

Revenge killings actually are not strictly extra-judicial so they fill no gap. They are part of the established system, as are cities of refuge. They are not desirable but are an understood potential part of the process so there are rules for them.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
What if I were to tell you that the complete set of divine laws regarding sabbath observance was designed to make the administration of the death penalty nearly impossible, and that the penalties were designed as theoretical deterrents and not practical solutions, would that change anything?
I would expect flawed solutions and extreme laws from men, but not a Devine being. I find it very hard to believe this SN being would establish a sabbath, with a punishment of stoning, to prohibit stonings. I'm sorry, but neither Christian or Jewish apologetics make any sense of these books.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
I would expect flawed solutions and extreme laws from men, but not a Devine being. I find it very hard to believe this SN being would establish a sabbath, with a punishment of stoning, to prohibit stonings. I'm sorry, but neither Christian or Jewish apologetics make any sense of these books.
As I said, that's your prerogative. I don't see any flawed solutions. I see a complex system of divine law with men working to understand it in its complexity. It makes sense to me. You have your view and I have mine. I'm not trying to convince you of mine.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I would expect flawed solutions and extreme laws from men, but not a Devine being.

If you don't see a merciful God through the law, then you don't understand the law, the law is made to teach mercy. God has told them that he never even wanted a million sacrifices but they should just LOVE Mercy, they should DO Justly and they should walk HUMBLY with their God.

The law teaches people mercy from jump street, you are looking at pure justice and what is deserved rather than pure mercy and forgiveness which is given. If the law teaches you that a disrespectful child should be stoned, and that you should bring him to the high priest to be stoned, what does it teach?

It teaches you that you are going to give your own child a pass just as they were all given a pass. In my opinion, it teaches me that at some point, I am going to break one of those laws that are deserving of death but I have committed just about every one, I don't know how many times.

AND YET, I swear God loves me and he forgives me if I simply do justly, if I love mercy and walk HUMBLY with God.

I see even Christians speaking of a cursed TYRANT of an evil being what that wrote the law, and that is what they see and read instead of finding the beauty of it.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If you don't see a merciful God through the law, then you don't understand the law, the law is made to teach mercy. God has told them that he never even wanted a million sacrifices but they should just LOVE Mercy, they should DO Justly and they should walk HUMBLY with their God.

The law teaches people mercy from jump street, you are looking at pure justice and what is deserved rather than pure mercy and forgiveness which is given. If the law teaches you that a disrespectful child should be stoned, and that you should bring him to the high priest to be stoned, what does it teach?

It teaches you that you are going to give your own child a pass just as they were all given a pass. In my opinion, it teaches me that at some point, I am going to break one of those laws that are deserving of death but I have committed just about every one, I don't know how many times.

AND YET, I swear God loves me and he forgives me if I simply do justly, if I love mercy and walk HUMBLY with God.

I see even Christians speaking of a cursed TYRANT of an evil being what that wrote the law, and that is what they see and read instead of finding the beauty of it.
Honestly, this all sounds like cultist apologetics ignoring the reality of what is actually written. When a creator specifically says: "You may buy and own slaves". There is no way to spin this as a beautiful thing.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Honestly, this all sounds like cultist apologetics ignoring the reality of what is actually written. When a creator specifically says: "You may buy and own slaves". There is no way to spin this as a beautiful thing.
There isn't a way for you, but imagine the poor family that came begging a Jewish brother to take him to feed and clothe him in exchange for being his servant for 7 years, ONLY THEN to be told,'' NO.''

The Jew who would have turned down a begging brother would be evil, not for taking a servant, but for not taking that man into his house to save him so much so, that he may not want to leave, and so customs were made for slaves who didn't want to leave. God instructed it. You see what you want to see according to how the world sees slavery and biblical slavery just isn't all you think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism