Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:09 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Do this search. Then get back to us.

do any search you can for "is marijuana a federal offense" or "is marijuana illegal under federal law" and get back to us on what your research shows.

Your search. Your research. Your findings. The article you pick. Have it be 2017.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Do this search. Then get back to us.

do any search you can for "is marijuana a federal offense" or "is marijuana illegal under federal law" and get back to us on what your research shows.

Your search. Your research. Your findings. The article you pick. Have it be 2017.
Get back to "US"?....Why don't you do the research on the history of Marijuana in this country...I'll start you off:

The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was the first US national law making cannabis possession illegal, with the exception of industrial or medical purposes. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis

Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Get back to "US"?....Why don't you do the research on the history of Marijuana in this country...I'll start you off:

The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was the first US national law making cannabis possession illegal, with the exception of industrial or medical purposes. -
I have no interest in history of illegal substances. The only element that is pertinent for me with regards to Torah is whether it is illegal and whether it is kosher.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-05-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 PM

625 posts, read 312,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Ya think that is why Daniel did as he did?

A lot of people claim that he was pro vegetarian that nobody should eat meat, but isn't it that they did not want to eat non Kosher meat ya think?
I certainly think so. I do not know whether there is traditional discussion concerning this, but your explanation is certainly what jumped out at me as obvious.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:48 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I certainly think so. I do not know whether there is traditional discussion concerning this, but your explanation is certainly what jumped out at me as obvious.
Well, now, seeing that you are quite the elder, I will have to follow anything you say, lol.

Please tell me you got one of those big bushy white beards, ''Is it Moses?''

Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 AM

625 posts, read 312,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Please tell me you got one of those big bushy white beards, ''Is it Moses?''
Actually, I do.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:02 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
What's the significance behind Jewish last names like, Goldstein, Goldberg, Goldfarb, Goldfeld, Goldhaber, Goldhagen, Goldin, Goldman, Goldwater etc, and then we have Silverstein, Silverberg, Silverman, then we have names like Wolf, Fox?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What's the significance behind Jewish last names like, Goldstein, Goldberg, Goldfarb, Goldfeld, Goldhaber, Goldhagen, Goldin, Goldman, Goldwater etc, and then we have Silverstein, Silverberg, Silverman, then we have names like Wolf, Fox?
Where and when did typical Jewish last names come from? [Archive] - Straight Dope Message Board

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQue...old_silver_or/

Ashkenazi names: The etymology of the most common Jewish surnames.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:

I would think that many names comes from what you do, I come from a long line of Joseph Olivers who were weavers and so our last name is derived from weaving. But in the ancient arts and families of Jews who were taught the knowledge of working with specific things may have took on the names of what they worked with.

There were whole families raised just to understand and know the art of making incense handed down from father to son, and I would suppose that working with Gold and silver would depict some of their names, I didn't read Rosend's response but he is usually correct from what I see, but I think a lot of people get their names from whatever they did.

It would have been so cool to know the secrets of making incense or to be born in a family that had one job to become experts at, and to be born in a family given to those kinds of things back in the day.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
These are all Germanic names that came into existence in the early 1500s that have been Americanized. Gold/Silver in the first part is the material they worked with. The second part is what they did in relation the material. So -stein would have been a person who beat the metal into a shape, -berg was a person who looked for the raw materials -farb was a mixer to create different lusters, -feld was another person who looked for materials, -haber was a person who stored it, -hagen was a transporter, -in is a descriptor, - man was a generic term for any occupation,-waser was father figure or business leader. Wolf is the animal. Fox is also the animal, but probably looked betters than fuchs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism