Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 PM

639 posts, read 766,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would love to help one of those poor children in Lee's Summit or Shoal Creek or Parkville. Just tell me where to send the money. We can't keep letting this happen. If we all do a little, we all do a lot!
The good suburbs/school districts with high, good quality of life on the Missouri side are more like little islands in a sea of what I would say is not the best, good, high quality of life for families. I live in Lee's Summit, and my brother and his family are in the Shoal Creek/Liberty School area, yes, they are good schools, but it's still like being in an island of civilization/society that's unlike being on the Kansas side. I have a lot of family in north central and central Kansas areas, live in small towns and are very happy about being residents of Kansas, and would never consider living outside of the state of Kansas and are happy with having the leadership from Topeka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
That wasn't how I felt at all when I lived in Lee's Summit. In fact, it felt pretty much identical to where I live now in NE JoCo. Except a bit more historic.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:17 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
The good suburbs/school districts with high, good quality of life on the Missouri side are more like little islands in a sea of what I would say is not the best, good, high quality of life for families. I live in Lee's Summit, and my brother and his family are in the Shoal Creek/Liberty School area, yes, they are good schools, but it's still like being in an island of civilization/society that's unlike being on the Kansas side. I have a lot of family in north central and central Kansas areas, live in small towns and are very happy about being residents of Kansas, and would never consider living outside of the state of Kansas and are happy with having the leadership from Topeka.
Man, I don't even know where to start with this. But I'll try anyway.

The Missouri suburbs just developed differently from Johnson County. The MO suburbs all started out as dispersed little towns, and grew as bedroom communities for commuters. Johnson County, on the other hand, grew out of overflow from South Kansas City. That explains why Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, etc, are a little more distinct from their neighboring suburbs. But what does that have to do with traditional family values?

And your insistence on the "best, good, high quality of life" comes across as simultaneously elitist and childish. But it's ok. Words are hard.

I'm really glad your family likes living in Kansas, and that they find ways to stay positive about the shipwreck that is currently Topeka. I'm sure there are lots of people who like living in Kansas, but that doesn't prove anything about quality of life or family values or whatever else you want to blather about that makes loving parents want to avoid Missouri blah blah blah.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Man, I don't even know where to start with this. But I'll try anyway.

The Missouri suburbs just developed differently from Johnson County. The MO suburbs all started out as dispersed little towns, and grew as bedroom communities for commuters. Johnson County, on the other hand, grew out of overflow from South Kansas City. That explains why Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, etc, are a little more distinct from their neighboring suburbs. But what does that have to do with traditional family values?
Topography plays an even a bigger role. JoCo is flat and gridded out every mile with what was farm access roads. JoCo was super easy to develop and development followed the path of least resistance once sprawl started reaching south of the plaza. Western JoCo just west of the 435 corridor is actually similar to MO side suburban development.

The MO side, the entire MO side, has river valleys, flood plains, large areas of parkland, bluffs, lakes, rock etc and very rugged and wooded terrain in many areas. That is why the MO side development is more "leap frog". Most areas of suburban Jackson County, much of the Northland and even much of KCMO proper can't just grow together because of the valleys, parkland etc.

This is why the MO side of KC reminds me more of east coast suburbia which is very similar with a lot of wooded areas, valleys etc breaking up the sprawl. JoCo is more similar to what you see in suburban Phoenix or Denver (unless encroaching on mountains) where there is almost nothing in the way and every acre can be developed (or left as grass).

But yea, lovekcmo's comments about schools in the MO suburbs are pretty absurd. Lee's Summit alone has nearly 100,000 people. The Liberty/Shoal Creek area is 75k. Blue Springs/Grain Valley is 75k. Platte County is 100k etc. You also have many other areas like eastern Independence, NKC, Gladstone etc that have good schools. What I just mentioned is at least the size of JoCo.

And working class suburbs like central Indepenence, Raytown and Grandview are not nearly as bad as people in JoCo think they are. They are generally good places for people to live in modest homes and have decent public schools. Not everybody is a doctor or can afford even a 150-200k home, let alone a 500k home. Lots of people live in 100k homes in Raytown in perfectly fine neighborhoods.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-01-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
And working class suburbs like central Indepenence, Raytown and Grandview are not nearly as bad as people in JoCo think they are. They are generally good places for people to live in modest homes and have decent public schools. Not everybody is a doctor or can afford even a 150-200k home, let alone a 500k home. Lots of people live in 100k homes in Raytown in perfectly fine neighborhoods.
But... people who actually LOVE their children will FIND a way to purchase that $500k home in Leawood, right?

Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
There are $100,000 - $150,000 houses in Johnson County too. And actually the crime in Independence, Raytown and Grandview is MUCH higher than in Johnson County, as much as you want to deny it. I have friends who live in all of those places.

Last edited by luzianne; 07-01-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
But... people who actually LOVE their children will FIND a way to purchase that $500k home in Leawood, right?
What about the 500k homes in Lee's Summit and the Northland? Oh, I forgot, those don't exist. There are no affluent people in the MO suburbs. Once you become affluent, you must move to Johnson County, that is if you have any moral values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There are $100,000 - $150,000 houses in Johnson County too. And actually the crime in Independence, Raytown and Grandview is MUCH higher than in Johnson County, as much as you want to deny it. I have friends who live in all of those places.
Yes, crime is probably higher in those areas than it is Johnson County, just like it's higher in Raytown or Independence than it will be in Lee's Summit or Liberty. Raytown, Grandview etc have vast areas of modest neighborhoods that can be better compared to the better areas of KCK. And I never said you couldn't buy a 100-150k home in JoCo. Many parts of Northern JoCo are very similar to Raytown, but that will be an insult to you. You want to claim to have modest housing, but you would never claim to by "like" raytown.

I was not even comparing Raytown to JoCo. I said that Raytown has plenty of decent areas and people. Everybody can't afford JoCo (or all the imaginary affluent suburban areas of the MO side).

Way to change the topic though.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
What about the 500k homes in Lee's Summit and the Northland? Oh, I forgot, those don't exist. There are no affluent people in the MO suburbs. Once you become affluent, you must move to Johnson County, that is if you have any moral values.

Yes, crime is probably higher in those areas than it is Johnson County, just like it's higher in Raytown or Independence than it will be in Lee's Summit or Liberty. Raytown, Grandview etc have vast areas of modest neighborhoods that can be better compared to the better areas of KCK. And I never said you couldn't buy a 100-150k home in JoCo. Many parts of Northern JoCo is very similar to Raytown, but that will be an insult to you. You want to claim to have modest housing, but you would never claim to by "like" raytown.

I was not even comparing Raytown to JoCo. I said that Raytown has plenty of decent areas and people. Everybody can't afford JoCo (or all the make believe affluent suburban areas of the MO side).

Way to change the topic though.
Not "probably." It IS higher - way higher.

I didn't change the subject. I replied to a comment you made. Look at your comment I replied to. You weren't talking about $500,000 homes on the Missouri side. You were talking about Johnson County vs Grandview/Independence/Raytown. So don't accuse ME of changing the subject! Johnson County DOES have modest housing, and you know it. Even in Prairie Village. Having modest housing doesn't mean it's like Raytown. The main difference is the crime rate. So no, the areas with modest housing in Johnson County are not like Raytown; they do not have the crime rate that Raytown does. And it's a whole different feel. There is nothing for me to be insulted over.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM

No I didn't. I mentioned that there were decent areas areas like Raytown. That's all I said. My main point in all of this is that areas like Lee's Summit, Liberty, Shoal Creek, Parkville, Blue Springs, Platte County, Gladstone, Tiffany Springs, Grain Valley etc are very comparable to JoCo. Then I said that even places like Raytown are not as bad as people think. You can't comprehend. Did I ever say that there were not less expensive houses in JoCo? I am the last person you will see saying that is JoCo "rich" and all affluent. I think it's an average suburban area. It just doesn't have an aging area to make the stats more comparable. Combine KCK with JoCo and I would imagine that JoCo and Jackson County would be very similar.

And I didn't say PV was like Raytown. I don't think housing prices of PV and Raytown quite match up.

This area is similar to areas like Raytown, parts of Indep or the lower part of the Northland. Also large parts of Olathe are also very similar to the older working class MO side burbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0326.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
No I didn't. I mentioned that there were decent areas areas like Raytown. That's all I said. My main point in all of this is that areas like Lee's Summit, Liberty, Shoal Creek, Parkville, Blue Springs, Platte County, Gladstone, Tiffany Springs, Grain Valley etc are very comparable to JoCo. Then I said that even places like Raytown are not as bad as people think. You can't comprehend. Did I ever say that there were not less expensive houses in JoCo? I am the last person you will see saying that is JoCo "rich" and all affluent. I think it's an average suburban area. It just doesn't have an aging area to make the stats more comparable. Combine KCK with JoCo and I would imagine that JoCo and Jackson County would be very similar.

And I didn't say PV was like Raytown. I don't think housing prices of PV and Raytown quite match up.

This area is similar to areas like Raytown, parts of Indep or the lower part of the Northland. Also large parts of Olathe are also very similar to the older working class MO side burbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0326.../data=!3m1!1e3
Except the crime in Raytown is higher, which is the whole point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City