Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:55 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Exactly! +1

The rage, the insults, the profanities, the sensitivity, we couldn't even get past the first page without the typical.
And kcmo was the first to come on here and go on a Kansas-bashing rant as soon as he could. That's what started this thread in the wrong direction. I believe the OP was asking opinions of Johnson Countians, not ex-Kansas City MO people who now live halfway across the country and never lived in Johnson County or Kansas but hate it.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-10-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
^ Call me crazy, but you guys are doing exactly what kcmo said you would. Jo County people just will not talk about these topics. They will only talk about other people in a negative tone for even bringing up these topics. I grew up blocks from Kansas. I know this all too well.
I saw the original post and decided it would be a waste of my time to try to respond because anything I said would be bashed by kcmo, Truly Missouri, rwiksell, you, and others. Why bother?

I was born in Missouri, did about half my growing up in Missouri, and the rest in Kansas, including urban and suburban and rural areas on both sides of the state line. I'm a Jayhawk. I'm a Johnson Countian. I have seen the KC area, both sides of the state line, evolve since the 1960s. But no one cares about that; since I live in Johnson County and prefer it to the Missouri side, certain people are going to bash anything I have to say, ESPECIALLY if I tried to say anything positive about Kansas.

And KU is not purple; that's K-State.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-10-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Sure, but don't you think people would be annoyed if there were large university of Missouri ads there? Hospital or not. It's still Mizzou ads in Kansas.
I honestly wouldn't even notice let alone care. Why would this annoy people? It's just bizarre.

Seriously odd that in one breath people want more metro unity and it's all the other peoples fault but don't advertise on our side of the magic line lol.

Op I think the insanity in this thread might make for a better column.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
^ Call me crazy, but you guys are doing exactly what kcmo said you would. Jo County people just will not talk about these topics. They will only talk about other people in a negative tone for even bringing up these topics. I grew up blocks from Kansas. I know this all too well.
Guess you missed my lengthy response to the op on page 1? Or the post just two spots before your post?

In fact I was the first post to address the whole company poaching question.

Lol kcmo starts a flame war and you ignore responses to the op so you can say they were right because people fired back. Op are you seeing this? I told you this would get nuts. Lol

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-10-2016 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 PM

Here is a great source op. Page 21+ lists the regional poach actions. Both sides have been quite busy. It has not been the one sided affair some like to think.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/sites/d.../shellgame.pdf

Old 08-11-2016, 04:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
If you'd been on this section of the forum for any time at all you would have realized that what we're referring to is KCMO's inability to rationally discuss anything about the Kansas City Metro area without bashing the people who live in Kansas. We are pointing out that fact to validate that posters like KCMO are the ones who continually add fuel to the fire.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:49 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Sure, but don't you think people would be annoyed if there were large university of Missouri ads there? Hospital or not. It's still Mizzou ads in Kansas.
It's nuanced. Sure, KU Med is Kansas. But it's literally sitting ON the state line, and it acts as an institutional anchor of the Volker neighborhood, which is in KCMO. So it's more understandable that they consider themselves a central feature of the Kansas City metro than if University of Kansas itself were the one advertising.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
If you'd been on this section of the forum for any time at all you would have realized that what we're referring to is KCMO's inability to rationally discuss anything about the Kansas City Metro area without bashing the people who live in Kansas. We are pointing out that fact to validate that posters like KCMO are the ones who continually add fuel to the fire.
If YOU'D been on this section of the forum for any time at all you would have realized that the feeling is pretty darn mutual. Both sides do it consistently.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 AM

172 posts, read 154,219 times
Both sides bash. The root cause isn't the bashing; it's the fact that there are sides to begin with. I will give a previous poster credit. S/he mentioned KC needs to define its identity independent of the Missouri or Kansas side. KC doesn't and shouldn't embody either state's identity. Until KC transcends its bi-state, border war roots, the sides will continue to exist, and therefore, the bashing will continue to exist.

I doubt anything changes any time soon. A reasonable number of threads on this forum devolve into a KS vs. MO tirade because someone inevitably gets butt-hurt and takes any direct/indirect criticism of KS or MO as an us vs. them argument.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM

I'd urge people to look at the article I posted in post #25.

It really details the national issue and I agree that poaching is not a good thing with the states getting played against one another.

However, the article doesn't walk in with any us vs. them bias and just lays out the facts pretty impartially.

That's been the only reason that we have arguments about the topic, heck look at the initial premise of the thread? It basically makes it sound like it's a one-sided affair when in reality the states are all after $$$ from each other and in many more ways than just corporate tax incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City