Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support metro government?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
The answer to that one is obvious! And yes, I think you would see the same-type council in Knoxville. My guess is that they would borrow the metro Nashville handbook. Another plus to metro government: the end to Knoxville's long annexation battles. A few interesting facts: Knoxville has the smallest land area of TN's four major cities (yep, Chattanooga has more land) and Clarksville is now approaching Knoxville's land area. What does this say? Much of "Knoxville" (the area that functions as Knoxville) is not even in the city limits. Knox Co. is pushing 450,000, though I don't know if it will make it by the 2010 census. Knoxville will probably finally hit 200,000 by the census (I think). In the modern era of sprawl, a city's population is often merely how much it can annex (if it hasn't gone metro). Knoxville operates as a city of more than a half million (pushing 700,000 metro), so why shouldn't the official population more accurately reflect this?
I agree with you completely on this. I'm all for reducing government bureaucracy. And you're right, "Knoxville" really covers a lot more territory than just the city limits. When I lived in rural East Knox County I had a Knoxville address and KUB utilities but was not in the city limits. Looking at a map of Knox County shows some very strange meanderings and gerrymanderings of Knoxville's city limits.

Plus, if Knoxville and Knox County merge it would put the end to this weird liquor-by-the-drink rule that no one (including the state's attorney general) can seem to figure out.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 PM

152 posts, read 333,022 times
I agree with knoxgarden. I love the rural aspect of Knox County. I love watching my neighbors cows, from my porch. I don't mind his livestock either. I don't have a Wallmart, Target etc close by, but I wouldn't want them with the extra traffic which would arrive. I certainly don't want my property tax to go up. I take my garbage to the local "free" dump, where I get to chat with the neighbors. But it doesn't matter what I want, the way the local government is run they will do whatever they want.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I love that I can rake my leaves to the curb and the city will come and vacuum them up.

I love that the city comes and picks up my trash as well as bulk.

I love that if I need a commercial dumpster they will haul it to my property and pick it up when I am finished.

I love that I pay less insurance.

I love that I do not have to purchase a subscription from Rural Metro.

Bottom line is I come out ahead at the end of the year. I do. I figured it out.

And I don't have to put that darn trash in my vehicle, with the possibility of ruining my vehicle, make sure the "free" dump is open and waste my gas to get there, not to mention wasting my valuable time.

I like my mayor and I don't have Lumpy representing me.

I love living in the city.

Just because the county and city may combine why would ordinances like bans on livestock suddenly be enforced in the county. In other words, who said?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love that I can rake my leaves to the curb and the city will come and vacuum them up.

I love that the city comes and picks up my trash as well as bulk.

I love that if I need a commercial dumpster they will haul it to my property and pick it up when I am finished.

I love that I pay less insurance.

I love that I do not have to purchase a subscription from Rural Metro.

Bottom line is I come out ahead at the end of the year. I do. I figured it out.

And I don't have to put that darn trash in my vehicle, with the possibility of ruining my vehicle, make sure the "free" dump is open and waste my gas to get there, not to mention wasting my valuable time.

I like my mayor and I don't have Lumpy representing me.

I love living in the city.

Just because the county and city may combine why would ordinances like bans on livestock suddenly be enforced in the county. In other words, who said?
Right on!

My property taxes doubled when I moved into the city, but I'm still coming out ahead because of what you pointed out above: cheaper homeowner's insurance, free garbage pickup (including yard debris), no Rural/Metro fees, and of course I'm using my car a heck of a lot less. I also live close enough to work that I can come home during lunch if I want.

To those who think that consolidation will mean an end to country living in Knox County, that simply isn't true. When Nashville consolidated with Davidson County farms were allowed to remain. Northwest Davidson County is still a very agricultural area with lots of farms.

Davidson County is also divided into two parts, so that those who live in the more agricultural areas pay less in property taxes than those who live in the more urban areas. The same would probably happen in Knox County.

Voting against consolidation will not stop Knox County from growing.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Knoxville City is not the center with the county on the edges. Knoxville has some very strange boundaries within the county. When Goody's moved to the far west, Victor Ashe incorporated that part into the city. Turkey Creek complex is in the city, most of it anyway.
There's a map here.
" + theTitle + "
Zoom in on sections and you'll see that what looks like solid yellow of city boundaries isn't. There are pockets of unincorporated areas all over.
I live in a condo near Gleason and Gallaher View, about 2 miles west of West Town Mall. I am in the county, not the city. The folks across the street from me are in the city and there are areas east of me in the city, but I'm in an unincorporated area of the county called Blue Grass. There are a lot of odd pockets like that.
My HOA fee takes care of rural metro, trash pickup, etc. so becoming part of the city would add expenses for me.
I think it's a good idea but county government has to resolve its problems first.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Knoxville City is not the center with the county on the edges. Knoxville has some very strange boundaries within the county. When Goody's moved to the far west, Victor Ashe incorporated that part into the city. Turkey Creek complex is in the city, most of it anyway.
There's a map here.
" + theTitle + "
Zoom in on sections and you'll see that what looks like solid yellow of city boundaries isn't. There are pockets of unincorporated areas all over.
I live in a condo near Gleason and Gallaher View, about 2 miles west of West Town Mall. I am in the county, not the city. The folks across the street from me are in the city and there are areas east of me in the city, but I'm in an unincorporated area of the county called Blue Grass. There are a lot of odd pockets like that.
My HOA fee takes care of rural metro, trash pickup, etc. so becoming part of the city would add expenses for me.
I think it's a good idea but county government has to resolve its problems first.
I would think that the HOA would lower your fee, but who knows.

I always love looking at that map. It's hilarious, because wherever they want to sell booze it is in yellow.

I forgot about living closer to work, JMT. Great point.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I pay less than $50/month for trash collection and Rural Metro, and my insurance is the same county or city, as long as I have RM. I would pay an extra $250/month in city taxes for less than $50 worth of services that I would much prefer to contract for myself, so it gets a big thumbs down from me and pretty much everybody else in my neighborhood. None of us are uneducated, gun-toting rural dwellers fearful of change. If we were, the city wouldn't want us. They want us, because we would bring revenue into the city's ill-depleted coffers.

My family and I do own properties in the city and those tend to be a wash, as long as the assessed value is under $100K. Still, I would rather contract for my own services, since competition breeds options, and I value free choice. Private trash companies will pick up as much trash as you leave by the curb at no extra charge and it doesn't have to be bagged. Plus, I don't care for the city's selective micro-management. I just paid several hundred dollars for a city permit to have a few scoops of dirt hauled across the street to seed a lot. The county has fewer Mickey Mouse restrictions, because it's not as desperate for money. I think both the city and the county are corrupt, and many of our elected officials a disgrace, but in my experience, the city is worse. JMO. I don't expect anyone to agree with it.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
I'm not a Knox county resident, so I'm not allowed to say anything..........I agree with GBH though.....

Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 PM

152 posts, read 333,022 times
I agree with GBH too. I am a Knox County resident, and I'm not a gun toting,keep off my property uneducated person either. Newbies will get a bad impression of us Knox Countians !

Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Well, this thread has veered off topic and the personal accusations have started so it is time to close, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville