Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

It was reported by several different sources the shooter tried to buy tracers at a gun show in Phoenix a couple weeks ago but the dealer didn't have any available. He would have been much more accurate with tracers but it would also have been easier to pinpoint his location.

Looks like he started his obsession with guns post 1990 after his second divorce. Or at least the weapons they have traced so far indicate this is the case. The divorce connection may be anecdotal but that's what we know was going on in his life back then.

I still really wonder about the GF. How could she live in that house and be unaware of his arsenal? They were more than just room-mates and I would know if a room-mate had that many weapons/ammo/explosives around the house. This makes me wonder if he didn't perhaps have a storage unit somewhere and that holds the key. Perhaps he paid cash and used a fake name? Or did he own another property, perhaps under the table? NOT properly recorded?

Let's assume for a minute he did have a storage unit somewhere. Has to be easy access and fit in with his travel patterns. Unfortunately that leaves a lot of territory. Could be in Utah, Arizona, or Nevada but I would say the odds are on somewhere in Vegas. He was a planner. Every time he needed to move ordinance, it's a huge risk. And the last thing you would want is a traffic stop when the trunk is full of guns and explosives.

Also read today that one of the victims has filed to freeze his assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM

373 posts, read 348,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
He had three other similar locations with reservations or places he stayed at prior to this.

An AirBnB condo at the Ogden overlooking the Life is Beautiful music festival in Downtown Las Vegas. He actually stayed there so he was looking down on that one. They speculate it was in preparation for this attack.

I've been to an open-air concert in downtown LV once and I remember I did look up over my shoulder at the buildings behind us for snipers during the middle of the concert. That's the age we live in but don't always talk about. I always think about it because I grew up in Austin and everyone knows the UT tower story, and I grew up in the age of mass shootings at schools when I was in school. We had drills. Then it spread to other locations. Now we have four-year-olds after Sandy Hook doing the active shooter drills and standing on toilets with there hands on their chest to self-sooth and stay silent. Hmm.

He also stayed at El Cortez and he's a high roller so they wondered about that since he can easily get a room on the Strip for free.

He reserved a room earlier this year overlooking Lollapalooza in Chicago where the Obama sisters attended. He never showed up.

He also considered Fenway Park in Boston.

There's lots on the shooter if you're following that. He was a misanthrope, but they don't have a motive yet. Maybe his package hasn't arrived to the press yet?

And when we don't have all the facts I leave it up to my highly imaginative mind to entertain.

There was also a full moon last night. The Harvest Moon, Blood Moon, Hunters Moon. Makes me think of the lone-wolf howling at the full moon. A Grim Reaper with his scythe came to harvest souls.

And listen to these CCR lyrics. Spooky happenstance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQiUFZ5RDw

Don't worry, I have more abstract ideas on connections to the site too. If they're throwing them out there then look up the Luxor hotel and the sphinx curse with it facing the wrong direction. It's overlooking this site as well. I could see them making a tourist attraction out of it for the morse. Buzzed Vegas says the Luxor is the most haunted hotel based on a handful of reviews on Trip Advisor.

One thing I've been waiting to see is if they did an autopsy on the shooter yet. In Charles Whitman's case, he had an undiagnosed brain tumor they cited for his behavioral changes. I know the shooter sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head but it could be possible he had a brain tumor. His girlfriend did say he would sometimes lay in bed and moan loudly like something was in his head.

One of the main leads they're following came from this actually. They're investigating if he suffered from mental illness.

They have no evidence he pledged his allegiance to ISIS though ISIS claims he converted and they take responsibility. Anyways, if he did I'd bet Las Vegas would never give this one or any potential past one to ISIS. No way. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

They have no evidence he's AntiFa either. Which conspiracy theorists were really grasping at straws there.
What do you mean his package?

What does the Luxor have to do with overlooking the site and what curse ? Why is it haunted ?

And are you saying his attack has to do with a blood moon

What is el Cortez and what would of been his target ?
Fenway is like a fortress no wonder he didn't try

Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
By package they mean manifesto. A lot of killer will send a package to news outlets so their story gets told.

The memorials for this are everywhere.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
So sad. Like so many other mass shooters, he was apparently a loving law-abiding gun owner until he wasn't.
I agree it should NEVER happen. Until we can find a way to identify and treat these DERANGED individuals MASS killings are going to happen. Mass killings using knives, swords, vehicles and even hammers have happened all over the World where guns are outlawed. What is the solution then?

Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
By package they mean manifesto. A lot of killer will send a package to news outlets so their story gets told.

The memorials for this are everywhere.
You got me EA. The pictures got the tears rolling down my cheeks. May get my first real tattoo. #VEGASSTRONG. Carry it to the grave.

Last edited by lvmensch; 10-07-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 05:46 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It was reported by several different sources the shooter tried to buy tracers at a gun show in Phoenix a couple weeks ago but the dealer didn't have any available. He would have been much more accurate with tracers but it would also have been easier to pinpoint his location.

This is nonsense.....

1. Guy was 64, shooting at night so "seeing a target" was simply not possible. Go out in front of your house and look at something 1500 feet+ away and think about trying to shoot at it. Not very feasible. Now find an ant pile and imagine simply stomping your feet on the ground, yes you are killing ants but you really can't see them at 10 pm can you? Same concept....

2. Guy was essentially a sniper shooting from an elevated position. Tracers would look really cool but it would instantly show people his location.

3. Asset freeze- Lets imagine this guy has 1 million dollars in his estate. Now divide this by 558 plaintiffs (500 injured, 58 dead).....that would be a settlement of $1792 per person (*not including attorneys fees). I would guess that wouldn't scratch the surface of medical bills or funeral expenses on a per person basis.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

You got me EA. The pictures got the tears rolling down my cheeks. May get my first real tattoo. #VEGASSTRONG. Carry it to the grave.

If I was there at the concert, I'd get a tattoo on my back of a circle target with the script, "you missed Stevo"

Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is nonsense.....

1. Guy was 64, shooting at night so "seeing a target" was simply not possible. Go out in front of your house and look at something 1500 feet+ away and think about trying to shoot at it. Not very feasible. Now find an ant pile and imagine simply stomping your feet on the ground, yes you are killing ants but you really can't see them at 10 pm can you? Same concept....
The guns were scoped, and when the show producers realized they had an emergency situation, they turned the audience flood lights on. Now was this guy good enough to be able to actually pick off individual targets at 400 yards even with a scope? Probably not. But he could see what he was shooting at.
Quote:

2. Guy was essentially a sniper shooting from an elevated position. Tracers would look really cool but it would instantly show people his location.
Fully agree
Quote:

3. Asset freeze- Lets imagine this guy has 1 million dollars in his estate. Now divide this by 558 plaintiffs (500 injured, 58 dead).....that would be a settlement of $1792 per person (*not including attorneys fees). I would guess that wouldn't scratch the surface of medical bills or funeral expenses on a per person basis.
A guy in his financial situation may have insurance that is reachable. But the pot of gold the lawyers will b looking at is MGM. While there are good arguments that can be made that they shouldn't have liability, I can guarantee that they WILL be sued, and probably into the nine figures. They question they'll have to face is do they want to roll the dice with juries. Juries are often known to look at a plaintiff with heinous injuries and see a deep pocketed corporation, and not bother thinking about the legal technicalities (like did the corporation really do anything wrong), between the two.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The guns were scoped, and when the show producers realized they had an emergency situation, they turned the audience flood lights on. Now was this guy good enough to be able to actually pick off individual targets at 400 yards even with a scope? Probably not. But he could see what he was shooting at.

Fully agree

A guy in his financial situation may have insurance that is reachable. But the pot of gold the lawyers will b looking at is MGM. While there are good arguments that can be made that they shouldn't have liability, I can guarantee that they WILL be sued, and probably into the nine figures. They question they'll have to face is do they want to roll the dice with juries. Juries are often known to look at a plaintiff with heinous injuries and see a deep pocketed corporation, and not bother thinking about the legal technicalities (like did the corporation really do anything wrong), between the two.
Be interesting to watch. The problem will be getting the cases to a jury. You need a good theory as to MGM liability which may prove very difficult to establish...and without that you can't get it into the courts.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
How many rifles did they allow the guy to bring up to the room?

Okay, yes, I know, a very good counter argument could be made that it isn't MGMs responsibility to police what guest bring to their room. But a judge may decide to let a jury decide where that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Be interesting to watch. The problem will be getting the cases to a jury. You need a good theory as to MGM liability which may prove very difficult to establish...and without that you can't get it into the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas