Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM

65 posts, read 295,163 times

Advertisements

My friend was raising 3 kids in Summerlin. Those 3 kids were Honor Students in Las Vegas. When my friend was transfered to Indiana, two of his kids were average, and one had to be held back. Las Vegas schools are bad, even in an upper class neighborhood.

Stay in Chicagoland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop89 View Post
My friend was raising 3 kids in Summerlin. Those 3 kids were Honor Students in Las Vegas. When my friend was transfered to Indiana, two of his kids were average, and one had to be held back. Las Vegas schools are bad, even in an upper class neighborhood.

Stay in Chicagoland.
Your friend prevaricates. Either going or coming.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
You should never transfer students during their high school years. It will mess up their credits and they may lose most, if not all their credits and then get so depressed about it that they'll drop out. My friend from Queens came here her Junior year, she was an Honors, straight A student, CCSD ripped her of 75% of her credits because CCSD didn't have any equivalents for the advanced classes that she took. Now as a senior, she is stuck taking sophomore classes, she's graduating, but now colleges and other people may think that she wasn't smart enough or something like that.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM

239 posts, read 661,402 times
I think RedWingsFan is right. There are a few of you here who are committed to promoting LV, which is fine, it is probably because you have a vested interest in either the overpriced RE or something like that. I think that the point that we were trying to make is that LV is not a good place to raise a family, and I feel that we succeeded.

While olecapt, comes up with random info, I have provided detailed examples, and sources, and links to info describing LV as a dangerous, sin city, greedy, smoggy, and suicidal city obsessed with sex, drugs, prostitution, and crime. When you throw in the bad traffic, and expensive homes, there really is very little to be attracted to. Olecapt, blatantly denies the lasvegassun.com and the CBS article about LV being the suicide capital of America as.." ..untrue, and then he quickly tries to blame rural NV for the high suicide rates...sure pal. I never even brought up all of the homeless people wandering around that city looking for free handouts, even in some nicer areas too.

Olecapt, I respect your opinion on Las Vegas being Paradise City, but remember that the people reading this will consider your advice, and if people move to LV, based partially on the rosy picture that you paint for the, only to find it is miserable for them, like many on this site have, you have done them a disservice. I wish you luck, and I hope that Las Vegas can work on their problems, and it can become a nicer place.

On the good side, it is a fast growing party town, (if you like that) and there are likely quite a few job opportunities there.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
I think RedWingsFan is right. There are a few of you here who are committed to promoting LV, which is fine, it is probably because you have a vested interest in either the overpriced RE or something like that. I think that the point that we were trying to make is that LV is not a good place to raise a family, and I feel that we succeeded.

While olecapt, comes up with random info, I have provided detailed examples, and sources, and links to info describing LV as a dangerous, sin city, greedy, smoggy, and suicidal city obsessed with sex, drugs, prostitution, and crime. When you throw in the bad traffic, and expensive homes, there really is very little to be attracted to. Olecapt, blatantly denies the lasvegassun.com and the CBS article about LV being the suicide capital of America as.." ..untrue, and then he quickly tries to blame rural NV for the high suicide rates...sure pal. I never even brought up all of the homeless people wandering around that city looking for free handouts, even in some nicer areas too.

Olecapt, I respect your opinion on Las Vegas being Paradise City, but remember that the people reading this will consider your advice, and if people move to LV, based partially on the rosy picture that you paint for the, only to find it is miserable for them, like many on this site have, you have done them a disservice. I wish you luck, and I hope that Las Vegas can work on their problems, and it can become a nicer place.

On the good side, it is a fast growing party town, (if you like that) and there are likely quite a few job opportunities there.
Hey Toolshed every figure out where that smoggy picture came from?

That picture was right up there with the rest of the quality of your data. Pap - mis-digested by soneone else and brainlessly repeated.

There is a set up people who don't live here and have an irrational dislike for the place. Don't come...we will survive. But don't expect the utter BS you ship to go unchallenged. I am sure your life will be confined to places you can't stand as your approach virtually guarantees you will never be happy anywhere you live.

The Gods have a sense of humor when it comes to you nay-sayers.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The Gods have a sense of humor when it comes to you nay-sayers.
So thats what you call that voice you keep hearing in your head...

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Sin City Smog
In its unfettered growth, Las Vegas has neglected air quality

Any given day, the view across this desert valley -- the fastest growing metropolitan area in the nation -- shows a carpet of homes stretching to the foothills, sprawling beneath not blue skies but a yellowish-tan haze...
Sin City Smog / In its unfettered growth, Las Vegas has neglected air quality (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/03/19/MN205362.DTL - broken link)

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Let's see...you can't figure out where this is...

http://dcnr.nv.gov/graphic/reno_air_quality0105.jpg (broken link)

And that is after you published it...

And now you are going to get a San Francisco outfit to tell us what we are doing wrong. My My...

Perhaps you should find another hobby?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM

Olecapt, you should have disclosed that you and your wife are real estate agents in Las Vegas, that would explain most everything to us. Of coarse you will promote Las Vegas, and discount any negativity, you have potential clients, that you don't want to see scarred off, and that also explains why you insist the LV real estate bubble is impossible of being popped. It also explains why you frequent this board, as is is a good place to get leads on potential new clients. This is all fine and dandy, just make sure that you are cool with other people expressing their opinion on LV, even if it is negative, and may hurt your business. I haven't met too many successful RE agents that will explain why their is a current huge bubble in RE prices, and why they will inevitably crash, despite historically really low housing interest rates. I understand, why you will spin things in a favorable way.

BTW, with mainsteam media agreeing that the housing bubble did exist, and that it is in fact popping, I suppose you are the lone voice in advocating paying ridiculous prices for a stucco box in the heart of LV, and that prices only go up, and now is a great time to buy a home. Well, as somepne else who is involved in RE, my advice is the opposite, I would encourage any homeowner capable of selling, to sell, I would encourage perspective buyers to rent for a while and watch the houses made of cards crumble. I can say that a few people who have followed my advice in the last year, have saved/made over 100k and climbing, and that a few couples who have purchased in the last year, are continually second guessing the decision, and can't even refi themselves out of the trouble that they are in.

As for the picture of Reno, I unlike you, will admit to being wrong. I stand corrected. I will find another pic of the Las Vegas smog, since the article I provided from the LA times wasn't enough proof. The pic was labeled Las Vegas smog, so I should have double checked, my bad.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM

http://www.lasvegassun.com/from.ed/2001/dec/27/photos/P000050370.jpg (broken link)
That will have to do for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas