Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
When the Peoples Republik of Kalifonia finally came up with a law that kept em off the streets in Hollywierd, they came here....we had never had a problem so had never bothered to legislate it....NOW, it's a major problem....

I have NO problem with legitimate buskars....I have a major problem with the dregs that we sometimes get....i.e. the phoney 'Nurses" in the fake Uniforms...all sweet little latin American Girls...panhandling to help the homeless....all run by one guy in LA who provides em with their transportaion and their houseing.....10 or 15 to a flop room. and takes all the money....and if they don't turn it over he blows thw whistle with the Feds and they get deported.....
I honestly never knew that since I have never been to Hollywood. I thought they just sprouted up as a result of the economy. When I moved here in 2006 I never once saw any of them. I do not know when it actually started, but it has really become more and more noticeable in the last 2 years or so.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Can you tell the Japanese from the others from Asian descent? My wife is half Japanese and I cant always tell the deference.
I used to work with Japanese and Chinese ladies long ago. There is a difference. I also have nothing against Japanese people. As I hope they have nothing against me. I was even taught some words in Japanese long ago, but I have since forgotten it all.
So....did you win the Lions share?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Im with you Pommysmommy. I have been at the Flamingo for twelve days and have watched the same card snappers every day. They irritate me yet they are trying to survive in this down economy. I don't understand how they make any money but there has to be income coming from somewhere in that arangement. It's very sad.

On an up note though...Vegas seems very busy on this trip.
Yeah, there's a whole lot of paying under the table going on for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other arrangements made also.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
I don't know when they made that law in CA because they were all over there about 3 years ago. But, you are right, at that point when I went to Hollywood, I had not seen that on the Strip. I believe they were better suited in Hollywood, makes more sense really. Some of these people are downright creepy. And Las Vegas things I can understand; showgirls, Elvis, the silver statue, the magicians...but Chuckie? Bret Michaels? SpongeBoob? (then again, maybe I don't understand because you will NOT catch me pushing a stroller through that mob of people. Besides irritating, I would be worried about ashes or whatever landing in there)

I saw a Toy Story guy dancing around and pointing to his tip can. Rude. I understand needing to make a buck, but they are just not professional in the least. A lot of them look so dirty.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I don't know when they made that law in CA because they were all over there about 3 years ago. But, you are right, at that point when I went to Hollywood, I had not seen that on the Strip. I believe they were better suited in Hollywood, makes more sense really. Some of these people are downright creepy. And Las Vegas things I can understand; showgirls, Elvis, the silver statue, the magicians...but Chuckie? Bret Michaels? SpongeBoob? (then again, maybe I don't understand because you will NOT catch me pushing a stroller through that mob of people. Besides irritating, I would be worried about ashes or whatever landing in there)

I saw a Toy Story guy dancing around and pointing to his tip can. Rude. I understand needing to make a buck, but they are just not professional in the least. A lot of them look so dirty.
When you are surviving it is hard to relate to those who are scraping by to make a living. They might be dirty because they have no home.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
When did all these characters start invading the strip? I dont remember seeing them when I was working at the Venetian-maybe I was just in a hurry to get the heck out of there?

What can they do anyway if you dont tip them besides complain? I heard these guys tell a go-go dancer on Fremont street that she can go & you know what when she demanded a tip because she took a picture & danced with them.

Also there was a hula hooping acrobat type lady that wasn't wearing any shoes or even using at least a yoga mat, that is gross.
Must of migrated from Hollywood.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Some of these people are downright creepy.
Overall I don't mind but it's kind of annoying in a way when you see them all lined up. Especially like you said when they look creepy or dirty. I think Freemont Street is a better place for them than the main Strip.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
When the Peoples Republik of Kalifonia finally came up with a law that kept em off the streets in Hollywierd, they came here....we had never had a problem so had never bothered to legislate it....NOW, it's a major problem....

I have NO problem with legitimate buskars....I have a major problem with the dregs that we sometimes get....i.e. the phoney 'Nurses" in the fake Uniforms...all sweet little latin American Girls...panhandling to help the homeless....all run by one guy in LA who provides em with their transportaion and their houseing.....10 or 15 to a flop room. and takes all the money....and if they don't turn it over he blows thw whistle with the Feds and they get deported.....
Still allowed here in Hollywood, they're just not allowed to ask for money. Ours tend to be more aggressive.

SpongeBob Fight: Man In Costume Detained In Hollywood After Alleged Altercation (PHOTO, VIDEO) - The Huffington Post

Last edited by VLWH; 10-30-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Still allowed here in Hollywood, they're just not allowed to ask for money. Ours tend to be more aggressive.

SpongeBob Fight: Man In Costume Detained In Hollywood After Alleged Altercation (PHOTO, VIDEO) - The Huffington Post
True. They are still there. I go to Hollywood once a month. The only thing that was imported from Hollywood was the IDEA of dressing up to make money.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
When I take my early morning walks with my ferret on the Strip, any number of them think I'm doing it for $$. But I've only, thus far, had 3 people offer me $$ for allowing them to be photographed, holding my ferret. But I don't accept $$, that's not what I'm there for.

Surprisingly, with all my travels to 3rd world countries, I've never seen this phenomena of street performers trying to make a living! Not even in India or Central America, where they truly need the $$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas