Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,699,355 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are considering a move to Long Island. Can anybody tell me if Centereach is a nice place to raise a family? Good schools? Any crime issues? Gangs? How is the shopping? Taxes & cost of home?

Any info helps- thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,807 times
Its pretty commercial, busy. I grew up in Stony Brook, the next town over. I havent lived there in 15 years but it used to be a little bit of a low budget place.

But again I havent seen it in a long time so maybe it has changed!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,679,783 times
Go South Setauket/3VSD

Spend 10 minutes on Rt. 25 between Centereach and Selden and you'll know why.

Its everything wrong with Long Island in 5 painful miles.
C

Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 AM

Its becoming clear that the Money is settling on the shorelines of LI and the Middle is falling behind.

Smart Money would buy North or maybe South but I'd leave the Middle be.

If its gonna be mostly Millionaires and Migrant Workers in the future....you can already see where the lines will be drawn.

Best
C

Old 07-25-2007, 05:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,699 times
centereach is a working/middle class town. it is very congested with traffic because of RTs 347 & 25. The homes are afforable, schools are average. Some petty crime, very little gang activity but I'm sure there is some because its everywhere on LI. On the plus side, it is home to the best public library on LI. My cousin lives in Centereach & she is happy with the town & the education her two young kids are getting.
I personally don't like areas with so much traffic. There are areas of North Coram (look for "the W section or H section) that are in the same district as centerach but are tucked away from the traffic.
South setauket & the three village school district are nice but I do not think the taxes are as low as centereach.
Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Fair assessment of Centereach.
I forgot about the library it is very good.

There is no real North Coram.....shes referring to the Anglo part of Coram that borders on Mt Sinai.

Coram is PACKED with section 8 south of 25 and #1 in Sex offenders.
Taxes are high and Longwood schools are pretty mediocre.
(Check out the Taj Majal they bought the FD.)

Better off in Rocky Point/Sound Beach
Smaller homes/better value

C

Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Fair assessment of Centereach.
I forgot about the library it is very good.

There is no real North Coram.....shes referring to the Anglo part of Coram that borders on Mt Sinai.

Coram is PACKED with section 8 south of 25 and #1 in Sex offenders.
Taxes are high and Longwood schools are pretty mediocre.
(Check out the Taj Majal they bought the FD.)

Better off in Rocky Point/Sound Beach
Smaller homes/better value

C
I beg to differ C, there IS a north coram that borders on SELDEN between Old Town/Bicycle path & 112. I grew up there, it is I'm sure more racially diverse than some areas however MOST of it attends Middle Country( my tiny 3 block radius attended comsewogue, which is a super sweet deal if you can find a house for sale there) some attend Longwood. It is a beautiful, well planned subdivision built in the late 60's & early 70's. The OP should check it out.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM

You're welcome to disagree...but unfortunately youd be wrong per Google Maps...there is no North Coram.

There is a South Setauket.

My bro lives on Shenandoah
He calls it North Coram to distance themselves from its namesake and Gordon Heights.(kinda like South Amityvile or Tangiers AKA Mastic)

He goes to Longwood and hes up by Mt Sinai and his taxes are obscene.

Nice house though....but Id pass.

Best

C

Last edited by clamboy; 07-25-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM

well maybe the rules have changed but I lived there for 25 years & the coram post office would accept North Coram & even tanglewood hills with the 11727 zip code. Either way the W-section is WAY different from the shenandoah (sp) section.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Shenandoah is like Mt Sinai

Its pretty nice

Theres some beautiful homes up there.

Its just in Coram
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island