Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
You're right; I know they're made of styrofoam -- I really should have said that instead of stucco. Real stucco is the result of craftsmanship. Faux stucco is just styrofoam panels covered by thin mesh, with a composite material blown onto them. They dent. Stucco doesn't.

Imagine, living one's life in a fancy disposable coffee cup...
Faux Stucco=Fucco

Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Make mine a dunkin donuts styrofoam cup please! ha ha only kidding! Yo know news 12 is doing that thing on illegals in America, last night they covered the story of a 9 year old child illegal here, she said you would never get the education that she is receiving whee she is from, and she knows she is not here legally but her closing comment was "sometimes you just have to do what you have to do" That comment infuriated me it is so nasty to see that these parents are teaching these children to be little sponges! Nice Attitude, forget it these schools are going to be ruined quicker than thought.:m ad:
Well, yes, this is the island of entitlement..The only thing you can do here is suck it up, close your eyes, earn money and hide out in some 'enclave' with the rich or move.

Personally, I plan on doing the last one.
PS News 12 sucks..sob..poor illegals...poor so and so...what about citizens in this country? As my husband says, now the 'regular guy' gets (insert rude swear word) for the sake of the 'illegal.'

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Faux Stucco=Fucco
Clamboy, I love you!

Momix5, when I was growing up, there was no such thing as even ESL. I remember a boy joining my 4th grade class. He came from Germany, and spoke virtually no English. Of course, the first things we nice Brooklyn kids did was teach him all the bad words. Anyway, he had to learn English without the benefit of ESL, and did just fine. Just as my grandparents did fine, and everyone else's ancestors.

My dad came here as an adult, and took classes at night to learn English. During the day he worked in a factory. He always had a Slavic accent (I sometimes referred to him -- but not to his face -- as Daddy Dracula), but he spoke English and read the newspaper every day.

He came here legally, after having waited for many years. Other relatives didn't make the quota but were able to go to South America (Argentina and Uruguay) and in Canada, where they remained. I am sure they, too, learned the respective languages without taxpayer financed assistance.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Joe L,
Oh, and by the way, Joe L, I'm not from Great Neck, but I am Jewish. And I came from Brooklyn for the same reasons pretty much everyone else came -- to escape from crap. So stop your stereotyping. I could say a lot about what I'm pretty sure you are, but there's a whole thread about that (about getoffourisland.com) -- and if you read it, you'll see that I didn't feel all that good about it. But then again, I'm fairly intelligent. I must be. I'm Jewish, lol!
Just for the record it seems many of the Jewish on this board seem to be the stereotyping racists who preach & embrace diversity and "transformation" running the schools, ESL, more classrooms, voting to jacking school budget 3-5% every 6 months

If diversity and change or “stirring the pot as the Jewish call it”” was so great so many people would not be in opposition to it. Countless neighborhoods would still be pleasurable places to live (Great Neck, Port Washington was till the Jewish $$ sold it out and their elected polititions rezoned for devolopments like in Soundview or Brooklyn, The Bronx thats a FACT).
This crap bankrupts and busts up community’s at gunpoint just like the federal gov did with schools in the 60's (integration)
Jewish continually **cogitate** they are superior to everybody else but the facts (in this situation/subject) show something different.

I bring up facts as they are not racism, and im not full of myself

Last edited by Joe L; 08-17-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Clamboy, I love you!

Momix5, when I was growing up, there was no such thing as even ESL. I remember a boy joining my 4th grade class. He came from Germany, and spoke virtually no English. Of course, the first things we nice Brooklyn kids did was teach him all the bad words. Anyway, he had to learn English without the benefit of ESL, and did just fine. Just as my grandparents did fine, and everyone else's ancestors.

My dad came here as an adult, and took classes at night to learn English. During the day he worked in a factory. He always had a Slavic accent (I sometimes referred to him -- but not to his face -- as Daddy Dracula), but he spoke English and read the newspaper every day.

He came here legally, after having waited for many years. Other relatives didn't make the quota but were able to go to South America (Argentina and Uruguay) and in Canada, where they remained. I am sure they, too, learned the respective languages without taxpayer financed assistance.
Todays word is Fucco.
Faux,Stucco,Fucco.
First Alumimum, then Vinyl ...Now Fucco.

Whats with these GrecoRoman styrofoam houses in Nassau?
It looks looks like theyre Icing a cake in the shape of a Hi Ranch.
My favorites are the ones with the little Lions and the end of the driveway...
that just screams Class.

Whats up with that ...they look like tacky little catering halls.
Were they out of Gargoyles at the statuary?

Whatever became of the Lawn Jockey?

Coming soon to Eastern Long Island, Fucco McMansions.
Cant wait...the hits just keep on coming.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-17-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Whatever became of the Lawn Jockey?
Haaaa I had 2 of those in cast iron (from the 20's) when I lived in Manhasset, sombody tried to smash them but they are safe in the driveway at the new location where culture and heritage still has meaning

Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Retribution View Post
Do they have no cotton fields for them to pick? What are they doing in the north?
A relative of mine was a jockey at Belmont Park Belmont Park Race Track back in the 20's.
They were made and given to him by some big shot that bet and won on the horse. The were in the driveway for over 60 years till people started complaining and trying to damage or perhhaps steal them.
They have the cap, ring and all

Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM

81 posts, read 411,054 times
My parents live in Howard Beach, Queens, and it's the same thing with the ridiculous houses.

The neighborhood itself was originally designed by one architect - all the houses had basically the same layout. They were all little starter houses: three small bedrooms, eat-in kitchen, L-shaped living room/dining room combo, finished basement, small front yard and backyard.

Lately people have been buying these houses, tearing them down, and building these ridiculously ornate and ostentatious three- and four-story mansions on the lots, with white marble columns and two curved stairways leading to the front door, etc. The thing is, in order to do that, they have to use ALL the space on that lot, so there's no front or backyard anymore. So you have a huge, fancy, ostentatious house with no land or property around it at all, right next to a teeny starter house. It looks so silly!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudiRose View Post
tearing them down, and building these ridiculously ornate and ostentatious three- and four-story mansions on the lots, with white marble columns and two curved stairways leading to the front door, etc. The thing is, in order to do that, they have to use ALL the space on that lot, so there's no front or backyard anymore. So you have a huge, fancy, ostentatious house with no land or property around it at all, right next to a teeny starter house. It looks so silly!
Its all over Queens, I was in Bayside off Little neck bay last night and saw the exact same thing all up 221st, Corbett Road
ROWS of them under construction, no yards with tiny 1 familys across the street, they look cheap and disgusting.
Devolopers and Real Estate agents are putting things in home owners mail "sell now before its to late" the term is called blockbusting.

...Get a load of this Murry Hill special.
Asian's bought it to claim a church (pay no tax) yet will let it rot to claim "rotten timbers" "had to do an emergency knock it down'
Have no doubt a 6 family Fedders special bomb shelter will follow

Last edited by Joe L; 08-17-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Just for the record it seems many of the Jewish on this board seem to be the stereotyping racists who preach & embrace diversity and "transformation" running the schools, ESL, more classrooms, voting to jacking school budget 3-5% every 6 months

If diversity and change or “stirring the pot as the Jewish call it”” was so great so many people would not be in opposition to it. Countless neighborhoods would still be pleasurable places to live (Great Neck, Port Washington was till the Jewish $$ sold it out and their elected polititions rezoned for devolopments like in Soundview or Brooklyn, The Bronx thats a FACT).
This crap bankrupts and busts up community’s at gunpoint just like the federal gov did with schools in the 60's (integration)
Jewish continually **cogitate** they are superior to everybody else but the facts (in this situation/subject) show something different.

I bring up facts as they are not racism, and im not full of myself
The Facts,by Joe L. Asshat. Now in paperback. English/Subliterate dictionary included.

By the way, pretty much anyone, of any religion, is probably superior to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island