Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I suspect it has something to do with resentment toward authority, among other things.

When you don't want to argue facts anymore, switch to non-sequitors.

Personally, I think the Grasso's and the guys who traded credit default swaps are the biggest lowlifes going, but that has nothing to do with the fact that a cop on LI takes home twice what the average family does.

Feel free to continue to equate those 2 things, but it doesn't change anything.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM

217 posts, read 255,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Who says they don't? Maybe some peoples brains can only work on one subject at a time, but it really isn't that difficult.
Bingo! + 10000000000 for you too.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
When you don't want to argue facts anymore, switch to non-sequitors.

Personally, I think the Grasso's and the guys who traded credit default swaps are the biggest lowlifes going, but that has nothing to do with the fact that a cop on LI takes home twice what the average family does.

Feel free to continue to equate those 2 things, but it doesn't change anything.
Actually, from what I read the "has a problem with authority" card seems to be the next logical argument for these people when anyone questions civil servant compensation. I guess they have the point of view "if you aren't with us, you're against us".

Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The lavish lifestyle was meant more for the police, my mistake. However in many school districts teachers are making more than $100k, open up a newsday.
Again, this is one example. And don't make judgements on anyone's value system. Who are you to do that? And why are you even in this thread - you don't own a home so you have no credibility - adios.

Again you don't own a home so you saying what teachers ought to be paid is ridiculous.
I don't think someone's opinion on this matter should be dismissed because they are a renter instead of a homeowner. Renters have a stake in the communities they live in too. Renters, as residents, are entitled to vote on school board elections also.

Renters (living in LEGAL apartments where their landlord is not cheating the tax man) DO pay property taxes! They pay the rent to their landlord who then pays the property taxes.

Property taxes do affect renters. Why do you think rents are so high around here? Because landlords have to charge significantly higher rents to recoup more for the high property taxes.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

517 posts, read 2,486,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
if that's true (which I doubt), then that's a lousy reason.

I'm so tired of the completely unrealistic doom and gloom scenarios that so many people like to put out there. Nothing more than silly scare tactics. why can't they just admit they have a sweet deal?

but in most jobs, when you do "just enough to keep your job" you don't get to triple your salary over time. It's kind of a big difference.
Why is that a lousy reason? Its not the only reason but its definitely up there. I thought about switching when I first moved here but decided the extra money wasn't worth it. I decided to keep teaching in Brooklyn and just switched to a new school.

Quote:
+1 for your common sense, -2 for you missing the point.
How many pages is this thread already? How many points have been made? I doubt that I've missed ALL of them. Just the one that you want to make apparently.

Quote:
No one here is saying teaching should be paid like crap.
Again, maybe YOU aren't but others have implied that. Basically the old "private school teachers get paid crap and those kids succeed" argument. Never mind that its not a completely fair comparison since the criteria for accepting students is different.

Quote:
What you are missing is that the benefits that you get cost the taxpayers a great deal. If you received benefits commensurate with today's benefits packages, you will see how that greatly affects your total compensation. Most of us get that teaching is not a business. That doesn't give everyone in the education system a free pass to spend without any control or accountability.
As I said, I don't teach in Long Island. I teach in Brooklyn. My benefits include GHI which I contribute to, and a pension that I also contribute to. My dental, eye, etc. comes through my union that I pay dues to. I actually got better benefits in the private sector, but I'm not complaining. I am happy with my life and my job. I chose a job that I love, and that I do my best to do it well.

As for spending, the only spending I (and most teachers) do is with my own money on supplies. But I'll agree that spending should be more transparent by administrations.

Quote:
Teacher's compensation (and administration) needs to be in line with historical norms of the compensation relative to everyone else.
Who is qualified to determine that? Besides you, of course.

Quote:
We cannot sustain taxes at this level (and ever increasing) because the teachers feel they deserve what they make because they work with kids.
Right, that's not an oversimplification at all, and it doesn't sound a bit condescending. I don't think I deserve my salary just because I "work with kids." I deserve my salary because I go in every day between 7:30 and 8, and I leave between 5 pm and 7 pm every day and I work my butt off to help kids get a diploma and get into a college. Feel free to come by any day and watch me work, and then maybe you can tell me if I'm worth my salary. PM and I'll give you the address. How's that for transparency?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM

100 posts, read 222,737 times
Default WOW, its just so sad.

I am so tired of teacher bashing. I became a teacher because I love to work with children and I love to teach. Not because of the pay for any means. If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher?

Im confused. If teaching is such a "Sweet Deal" and were so "overpaid" why am I so broke? Why is it that I am driving a 99 caravan, have a 3 bedroom one floor ranch with a leaky roof (that we cant afford to fix), and never go on vacations etc? We dont have credit cards, nice clothes, we dont go out to eat, we dont go to the movies.. nothing! What I do have is a whole heck of a lot of student loans that I need to pay back.

Its SO frustrating to me to still hear people bashing teachers when I work so hard and give my heart to your children, when mine are in daycare being raised by someone else and yet I am still getting nowhere.

Instead of focusing on people who are working five days per week after going to college for years and years, why dont you focus on people getting a free ride while doing nothing!?!?!? Focus on illegal immigrants, focus on people who abuse food stamps and welfare,dont focus on hardworking teachers!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't think someone's opinion on this matter should be dismissed because they are a renter instead of a homeowner. Renters have a stake in the communities they live in too. Renters, as residents, are entitled to vote on school board elections also.

Renters (living in LEGAL apartments where their landlord is not cheating the tax man) DO pay property taxes! They pay the rent to their landlord who then pays the property taxes.

Property taxes do affect renters. Why do you think rents are so high around here? Because landlords have to charge significantly higher rents to recoup more for the high property taxes.
You are correct - indirectly renters do pay property taxes. However, they also don't have the same "stake" in the outcome of property taxes since they rent. It's a lot easier to pack up and leave as a renter. Either way, in my opinion, it is a bit disingenious for a renter to take a stand that would cost homeowners in the end. The renter can leave if the taxes increase her rent, nor does the renter have to deal with decreased values because the taxes are so high.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,710,266 times
That argument really doesn't hold water. The rents in Long Island are marginally more than for comparable areas in the outer boroughs of NYC and no where near what Manhattan rents have attained.

Renters get a free ride on Long Island. The only way to redress this is to institute a combination property/income tax.
If the politicians ever had the guts to do this, you will NOT see rents drop.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post

Right, that's not an oversimplification at all, and it doesn't sound a bit condescending. I don't think I deserve my salary just because I "work with kids." I deserve my salary because I go in every day between 7:30 and 8, and I leave between 5 pm and 7 pm every day and I work my butt off to help kids get a diploma and get into a college. Feel free to come by any day and watch me work, and then maybe you can tell me if I'm worth my salary. PM and I'll give you the address. How's that for transparency?
I think the people complaining here are talking about teachers in LI public schools, so you're kind of arguing against a strawman. Our property taxes aren't affected (at least directly) by what you get paid.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Who is qualified to determine that? Besides you, of course.
No, the historical data determines that.

Quote:
Your job is a noble and honorable one. You should be paid well. In some districts on LI, the pay is reasonable. In others, the pay is unreasonable. Teachers earning six figures is unreasonable, given the less than full time nature of their job and the value of their benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island